first trip without kids; need advice!

mad hatter fan

DIS Veteran
We have been to Disneyland 5 times as a whole family but never just the two of us. We have 5 comp. 1 day tickets and DH has enough frequent flyer miles for one of the plane tickets free. DH's birthday is August 19th so we are considering going then for the free admission for him that day. Then we would have enough tickets for free to cover 3 days admission for us. Unfortunately, Hojos does not have any of the 50% off ent. book rates for then.

So, where would you recomend we stay inexpensively within walking distance?

Is the second to the last week of August a good time to go? What are the hours typically then and how often do the do the fireworks and Fantasmic?

What things have you really enjoyed doing as Disneyland sans kids?

Thanks for any advice! :goodvibes

I can help with a few things.

I'm a APH so can't help with where to stay.

As for the fireworks and Fantasmic! schedule-in August the fireworks will be going off once a day (high season) at about 9:25 and F! will most likely be twice a night.

Parks should be open early and stay open late.

Going without kids was how our trip originally started (ended up with the kids but kept original plans):

We did a tour (Walk in Walt's Footsteps)
We ate at places we couldn't afford to do with the family:
Blue Bayou
Cafe Orleans
We got the Dessert Seating for Fantasmic

We've stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites, The Tropicana Inn & Motel 6.....all were comfortable & close (Motel 6 is not on Harbor & needed to use ART). Most of the motels on Harbor across from the park entrance seem pretty equal.
With getting the free tickets......are you able to splurge & stay on site??? Just a thought.

Have planning your "alone time" trip & I hope you have a blast!!!!

We were married for 9 years before we had DS and we went to DL many times during those years. It's been a lot of fun taking DS to DLR but I have to say that you get to do and see so much more when it's just the 2 of you. You get to go on all the big rides (if you like that sort of thing), you can go on the fantasyland rides late at night when the lines are short, you can stop and watch whatever show sounds good to you, you can relax in the lobby of the GCH. DH and I used to go to the outdoor fireplace at the GCH because usually no one was there and it has a view of the lights at DCA. Oh and it's much easier to get through the crowds with just 2 adults navigating the park.

Have a fun trip!

DH and I don't have kids, and we go to DL a few times a year. I honestly don't know how people with kids do it! lol, it seems so stressful.

The only planning DH and I do prior to going is making priority seating reservations, and to check to see if there's anything special going on at the time or if something will be closed.

Our typical day at DL will start with us going to the roap drop and hitting rides that we want for the first two hours. Once the crowds get busy, thats when we start 'wandering'. We go to the shows, we check out exibits, we shop, we do the things that no one else does. After lunch we tend to go back to the hotel to take a nap, read a book, whatever else moves us.

We'll head back out for a light, early dinner before enjoying the evening in the park. The parks are always so much more magical at night. I would imagine that with kids, you don't get to enjoy that experience as much. Parks at night=romance. Oh yes. Late night is the perfect time to hit Fantasyland, just magical.

We usually end the night with a nicer diner in DTD or at a hotel. Some wine, some cocktails, good food. Lots of fun.

FYI, I do trip reports for every visit, if you want a peak into what it's like with out kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter