First Trip Complete - Tips for other Newbies

Critter3

Mouseketeer
Hey all, I’ll try and post a better thread regarding my full experience at Disneyland, but while it was fresh in my head I wanted to make a quick post for other first timers (specifically families) about things that I wasn’t quite expecting. I saw some of these things while on these boards but just wanted to stress them. I just wanted to give a head up to other newbies :) .

- The rides are loud, like really loud. I had seen people mention that they get ear plugs for small toddlers, but it was even too loud for my 5 year old and sometimes 8 year old. My poor daughter had her fingers in her ears the whole time, lol. Especially for “scarier” rides like Indy where they may have been fine otherwise. It’s good because it increases the experience, but not for the kids, lol. The other thing is that they don’t sell ear plugs at the park! I found that strange. So pack some just in case.
- Some of the dark rides have “long” dark sections. Again, enjoyable for most but it really ramps up the scariness for the little ones. Especially combined with the loudness.
- It is extremely difficult to get a picture (sometimes let alone a wave) with the characters that roam and aren’t set up for meets. They walk very fast (for the kids little legs) and most often you have people stepping in front of you just as you/your kid is about to get close and say hi. There are rude people/budgers galore in the park. I would lower your expectations if you had expectations that you would be able to get a picture and autograph with those characters. With that said we were very fortunate one day to have Pinocchio all to ourselves for a skip down the path.
- Use DLRExpert’s fishing for LL technique!! This helped us ride the rides we wanted when we wanted! Adding to this, I figured out another “cheat”. There was 4 in our party and my wife and daughter went back to the hotel early. So when we would scan in our normal LL or the MEP, we would use their codes allowing us to ride again using our codes! I’m not 100% sure but I think the Cast Members just watch for the sounds that you scanned in and the actual names aren’t checked. This helped the kid and I ride Smugglers Run 4 times in a row, lol.
- Don’t use the bathroom by Plaza Inn, lol. It’s small and was always dirty/something not working.
- Another thing I just thought of is regarding WOC. Note that the main projections are slightly to the left (at least from where we were standing). We were standing in the middle section, second row, and on the left side of that section. We had assumed they would be more center and we would essentially be looking at Pal Around and catch it all. Whoever, we were behind a lamp post with a large round bowl and my view was severely skewed and the family missed some parts due to it. So my advice is that try your best to not be near those lamps, lol. Seems obvious but I thought the projections would be higher too and it wouldn’t be an issue.
- that’s all I can think of for now :)

Last edited:
Great tips!

Sad to hear about the Plaza Inn bathroom - on past visits it had always been clean and stocked, if very busy for its size.

The Plaza Inn bathroom is usually fine in the morning but gets very crowded in the evening. It can definitely be less less clean compared to other bathrooms later on in the day.

Great tips!

Sad to hear about the Plaza Inn bathroom - on past visits it had always been clean and stocked, if very busy for its size.

Yes, definitely it could have just been the times we visited it.

Another slightly negative note at the Plaza Inn - We did both the Goofy's Kitchen and the Breakfast with Minnie and Friends. Regarding the character experience (again this is probably something that changes week to week) I would say Goofy's Kitchen was heads and tails above Minnie, which was very disappointing for our little girl. When they did the little character parades at Goofy's Kitchen it was fun and they would announce it and get people to wave their napkins, and the characters would come to each table for a quick interaction and photo. You get your meet and greet with Goofy and he walked through the dinning room a few times. Goofy's was one of the highlights of the trip for us. At Minnie at the Plaza you had a meet and greet with Minnie...then we never seen her again. When we first got there the characters were just starting a parade as we sat down and there was Daisy, Chip & Dale, Pooh, Goofy, a mouse wearing a blue dress (lol, we couldn't pin point who it was), and Pluto. They quickly walked by our table and kind of started their little meet and greets at the other tables on the patio. Then after about 10-15min I think Goofy and Pluto came by our table...the rest were never seen again! Very disappointing. The food at both places was good.

We went to the Plaza Inn area bathrooms, and the line for the men's room was literally out past the door, like 10 people past the door....it is TINY, SMELLY, and really nasty. There is one over around the side to the entrance to the Train, it's also VERY smelly, but seldom busy. The large one as you come out of Space Mountain is always busy. It's at least clean most of the time, and doesn't smell like those smaller ones.

...a mouse wearing a blue dress (lol, we couldn't pin point who it was)...
Maybe Suzy from Cinderella?

Sorry to hear the character interaction at Plaza Inn was subpar. It used to be one of the best pre-COVID for number of characters and interactions :(

I agree with the assessment of the Plaza Inn bathroom too- I try to avoid that one later in the day.

We always do Minnie - it is the one reservation the whole family just expects now. We've done it several times, but we've never seen Daisy or Pluto there! That would be pretty exciting. My kids know that the Minnie interaction is limited to the on the way in. We explained to the younger ones she had to stay out there to greet all the other guests, while her friends were going to check on us inside. For our past visits, we've had as many as 8 characters come by, and usually multiple times. I think there might be a few tables that get missed/overlooked sometimes there.

Very excited to hear that Goofy's was a big success. That is something we've never done, but one of the ADRs I grabbed this trip to make it extra special!

Maybe Suzy from Cinderella?

Sorry to hear the character interaction at Plaza Inn was subpar. It used to be one of the best pre-COVID for number of characters and interactions :(

I agree with the assessment of the Plaza Inn bathroom too- I try to avoid that one later in the day.
Yes! That would be her.

We always do Minnie - it is the one reservation the whole family just expects now. We've done it several times, but we've never seen Daisy or Pluto there! That would be pretty exciting. My kids know that the Minnie interaction is limited to the on the way in. We explained to the younger ones she had to stay out there to greet all the other guests, while her friends were going to check on us inside. For our past visits, we've had as many as 8 characters come by, and usually multiple times. I think there might be a few tables that get missed/overlooked sometimes there.

Very excited to hear that Goofy's was a big success. That is something we've never done, but one of the ADRs I grabbed this trip to make it extra special!

Yeah we were excited to see Daisy as we were walking in and then after sitting down she was nowhere to be seen :( Our daughter was pretty sad about it. I understand that it could just be a one off event. Not sure if the 10:00 time had something to do with it since I think it is done by 10:30?

Pluto and Chip & Dale we’re also at Goofy’s. So was Minnie, so thankfully my daughter had some good interactions with her there. Oh and we got a Goofy’s Kitchen pin too! I would recommend Goofy’s. Great atmosphere!

Great tips!

I think this is a one off. It was fine In Nov and in February. I am expecting it to be clean on my trip in a week too. Remember Custodial is the hardest job to fill. So they are short handed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter