First Timer Needs Help for EMH Ride Order & Park Schedule

Fuzeon

Earning My Ears
Hello Disney Friends,

I’m headed to DLR this week with my two kiddos for a somewhat last minute trip. This is our first time to any Disney Park. We’re staying at the GCH, arriving 2/14 in the afternoon, and departing 2/18 around lunch. We have 3 day park hopper tickets. We will start our Disney adventure Friday. Based on the schedule, it looks like we have one DL EMH on Saturday and two DCA EMH’s on Friday and Sunday. I think we will spend more time at DL, but didn’t realize the EMH schedule when I booked the trip.

I would appreciate any advice you have regarding the days we should visit each park. I assume we should visit them on the days we have our respective EMH for them, even if we prefer one over the other? When should we park hop?

Also, how should we schedule our day with regard to ride order and getting FPs? The kids’ interests at DL are: Indy, Star Tours, SM, MH, BTRR, Pirates, HM, maybe Buzz. For nostalgia, I’d also like to include: PP, Alice, Mr. Toad, Mad Hatter, and IASM. Maybe SW and Pinocchio. At DCA, it will be Carsland, Guardians, and Soarin’. No Incredicoaster

Finally, any advice on how to still enjoy Disney with cold and rain and n a holiday weekend?

Thank you!

730am Arrive at the Entrance to Disneyland, they should start to let non-EMH/MM guests around 735am-750am. As soon as you enter the park use MP and get FP for Star Tours.
8am-930am: Ride Big Thunder Mountain without FP first, then Pirates of the Caribbean, get FP for the Matterhorn, use FP for Star Tours, use MP and get FP for Indiana Jones, use FP for the Matterhorn.
930am-1130am: Ride the Jungle Cruise, use MP and get FP for Space Mountain, ride Haunted Mansion, ride Splash Mountain, use MP and get FP for Radiator Springs Racers (you will have an hour and a half until you can get your next FP), use FP for Indiana Jones.
1130am: Lunch
1230pm-1pm: Grab FP for Toy Story Midway Mania, use FP Space Mountain
1pm: Head to California Adventure

Next FP order should be... Incredicoaster (quick return time) (Goofy's Sky School (quick return time), Soarin Around the World, and then Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout

ME
This post from another thread might help with your Friday. Do EE at DCA, start booking MP as soon as you go through the gates (will you be purchasing MP?), do your rides at DCA for an hour, then hit DL at their RD. Follow the above plan from there.

It is chilly in the parks now -- pack layers and dress warm! As for rain: Can we chat rain?. If you are dressed appropriately for wet, cold weather in the parks, it can really be fun. If not, it can be a miserable day.

I advise against PP. There is a dash of insanity when the park opens as people swarm PP. As a Newbie you will lose this dash & still end up waiting 35-45 mins. That’s a waste of EMH. Do Alice instead, Toad & then the other dark rides. I like DL EMH for getting FL stuff out of the way because you can FP all the Tomorrowland stuff later in the day & FL gets so congested by 10-11am. Definitely recommend MP btw. You can circle back to PP at some point in the day if/when you’re ready for a 35-45 min wait.

We leave EMH Park whenever we feel like it. Sometimes that’s as soon as EMH wraps, sometimes it’s lunch time. That’s the one part of the trip I embrace go with the flow.

Last edited:
I advise against PP. There is a dash of insanity when the park opens as people swarm PP. As a Newbie you will lose this dash & still end up waiting 35-45 mins. That’s a waste of EMH.. You can circle back to PP at some point in the day if/when you’re ready for a 35-45 min wait.

We leave EMH Park whenever we feel like it. Sometimes that’s as soon as EMH wraps, sometimes it’s lunch time. That’s the one part of the trip I embrace go with the flow.

100% correct about being a newbie and Peter Pan experience!!!! and the rest of the advice is also very solid.

Did anyone in your family watch the PGA pebble beach tournament this week? ask them about the weather....in sunny californina....on the beach....come prepared that you are entering a winter storm....coats, boots, quarters for the washing machine, change of clothes, gloves....come prepared for the worst.

I would avoid Disneyland Friday and enter DCA instead, regardless of the weather, Valentines day could change the weekend into a 4 day weekend because of the Disneyland Valentine tradition, first holding hands, first kiss, engagement......weddings...all happened in the past at Disneyland....and since the weather spoiled it Thursday, they will all be out in full force on Friday night.

Also, friday will allow you to follow the outline of DCA, locations and turns, so that you can be prepared for Sunday morning to fastpass RSR, Toy story, tower, etc, get a feel of the land, as with the weather being bad, RSR may be a madhouse on Sunday morning so you will to be prepared on what the area looks like. And being a newbie, you won't have Disneyland pulling at your heart when you arrive. Then Sunday night, you can go back to Disneyland

So Friday in DCA, All day Saturday in Disneyland, Sunday morning in DCA, change out of wet clothes if Grizzly is running, back into Disneyland for the rest of Sunday.

You are really lucky to be on site with the current weather pattern in the forecast, you will be able to change clothes, hot showers, re-hydrates and eat calories that will keep you warm. Also, Disneyland at night is totally different than daytime, so if you are soaking tired of being wet, still visit at night.

weather hideouts are the train, mark twain, star wars, space mountain and maybe Buzz. if no line at pirates, then that has cover...and indy has lots of cover and tends to be warm while waiting. Splash has great cover also.....but it will be cold and you could very well drench your wettness already. Though splash would be a great last ride in the morning, than a long wet walk back to lodging...to change clothes.

Last edited:

This post from another thread might help with your Friday. Do EE at DCA, start booking MP as soon as you go through the gates (will you be purchasing MP?), do your rides at DCA for an hour, then hit DL at their RD. Follow the above plan from there.

Thank you for the quoted post but I would change my recommendations for them.
#1 On Raining Days Disneyland is a bit easier to visit than California Adventure as there are more indoor attractions, restaurants, and shops at Disneyland
#2 Since it is your first time I would take one entire day at Disneyland, one-half day at Disney California Adventure (you can easily finish this park from opening to about 3pm then head over to Disneyland if you like), and one best of experience at both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure.
#3 Use the Disney Hotel stay to your advantage. Take a break in the midday and then come back at night when you are all rested up. Disney Parks in the day and at night are almost to completely different experiences.
#4 Use your afternoon arrival to visit Downtown Disney and experience the things in this area. Things like the Void and Trader Sams at the Disneyland Hotel are pretty fun to check out.
#5 A 9am park opening are rough because more guests will be there at opening. Access to EMH will help but also a bit crowded at Disneyland due to the 8am start.
#6 DO NOT use your hotels' park entrance for DCA in the morning. Best to use the main entrance.
#7 Use the 20-minute leeway for Fastpass. Meaning you can use FP 5 minutes before and 15 minutes after the posted time to use your FP.
#8 Any line that is 20 minutes or less is worth waiting for.

DCA 7/15 (I am assuming you will be using MaxPass)
730am: Arrive at the main entrance to DCA. Takes about 30 minutes to get from your hotel, through security and arrive at the entrance.
As soon as you enter DCA use MaxPass (MP) get a Fastpass (FP) for Toy Story Midway Mania.

8am-9am: When EMH starts, head Cars Land and ride Radiator Springs Racers first, then Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and then Monsters Inc. in Hollywood Land. The goal is to be on Monsters Inc. just before or as the park officially opens.

9am-11am: Now use MP and grab your next FP for the Incredicoaster. Head to Pixar Pier and ride Pixar Pal Around Ferris Wheel, then Jumping Jellyfish while in line use MP and get FP for Goofy's Sky School (quick return time), Golden Zephyr, use FP for Goofy's Sky School, while in line use MP and get FP for Radiator Springs Racers (2nd ride), ride Symphony Swings, use FP for Toy Story Midway Mania (should be close to 1015am), use FP for the Incredicoaster, ride the Little Mermaid Adventure, while in line use MP and get a FP for Soarin Around the World.

11am: Early Lunch

12pm-On: Next FP should be for Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout. In between FPs for Guardians, Soarin, and Radiator Springs Racers visit things like the Frozen Musical, Animation Building, Disney Junior.

DL 7/16
730am: Arrive at the main entrance to DCA. Takes about 30 minutes to get from your hotel, through security and arrive at the entrance.
As soon as you enter DCA use MaxPass (MP) get a Fastpass (FP) for Star Tours. It is WAY more important to be here as early as possible as this EMH will be busier than what you experienced at DCA.

8am-9am: Skip Peter Pan as mentioned in a previous post. Due to the castle entrance closure, take the right path headed toward the Matterhorn and ride Alice in Wonderland first, then Dumbo, then Mr. Toad, Pinocchio, Snow White and then head to Finding Nemo Submarines.
the goal is to be at Finding Nemo as the park is about to open.

9am-10am: When the park opens use MP and get FP for the Matterhorn, then head to Adventureland and ride the Jungle Cruise, then head to Tomorrowland and use FP for Star Tours, while in line use MP and get FP for Indiana Jones, use FP for the Matterhorn.

10am-1230pm: Head to New Orleans Square and ride Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, while in line use MP and get FP for Big Thunder Mountain, use FP for Indiana Jones, use FP for Big Thunder Mountain, while in line use MP and get FP for Splash Mountain, ride Winnie the Pooh, while in line use MP and get FP for Space Mountain, use FP for Splash Mountain.

1230pm: Lunch

130pm: Open. Your next FP should be for Buzz Lightyear Astroblasters. Use the Disneyland App to find attractions that have a low wait or now wait for Peter Pan. You will basically have to waste time until you can use your next set of Fastpasses.

ME

Last edited:
dlr meant Disneyland on the 16th..... read what the kids want to do....interesting that they want to do GOTG, but not indecoaster...I am not sure, but the adult vibe I read on this site is that the coaster is fine...but not so much GOTG....which I will never do.

Last edited:
I don’t know how old your kiddos are but RSR and several others have a single rider line. That definitely helps on crowded days.

Thank you all got your advice!! This is so helpful, especially about skipping PP EMH as a newbie. When do you suggest riding IASW? I have fond memories of it from very early on in my childhood.

The younger one doesn’t really enjoy roller coasters, and is turned off by Incredicoaster going upside down. I think Guardians May be more palatable because of the rock and roll music!

Also, am I correct in reading that Splash is closed for refurbishement? Maybe that’s a good thing given the expected weather!

Thank you all got your advice!! This is so helpful, especially about skipping PP EMH as a newbie. When do you suggest riding IASW? I have fond memories of it from very early on in my childhood.

The younger one doesn’t really enjoy roller coasters, and is turned off by Incredicoaster going upside down. I think Guardians May be more palatable because of the rock and roll music!

The normal version of Small World doesn't really build up a line so I would recommend experiencing it once you have done everything else.
It also offers Fastpass, so if you are able to get a FP go ahead as the return time should be rather quick.

ME

Thank you for the quoted post but I would change my recommendations for them.
#1 On Raining Days...
Many thanks for popping in and adjusting your suggested schedule for the OP -- I was hoping you'd stop by! Customized service! :) That really is a great help for someone new, especially with the weather changes around here lately.

Yes! Really, really appreciate the customized itinerary.

Also, on our last day before departing for the airport, do you recommend the breakfast buffet or the brunch buffet at Storytellers? Leaning towards brunch, but first seating is at 11:40. Not sure if that will give us enough time for a 3 pm departure from SNA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!