First Time Waitlisting

CookieandOatmeal

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 12, 2014
So it's the first time I've waitlisted to get a third trip out of my AP. I just want to make sure that checking the 31 days cancellation option will not jeopardize my points (won't go into holding I guess). I currently have a reservation booked at SSR that I want to replace if the waitlist works. I'm hoping to get a Standard studio at BWV at the end of June which I know is a long shot but you never know until you try!
 

bumbershoot

DIS Veteran
Joined
Mar 5, 2007
Well, if they went into holding for a moment while booking the replacement, that replacement is within the timeframe of holding, so it doesn’t matter. Right?
 

CookieandOatmeal

DIS Veteran
Joined
Apr 12, 2014
Well, if they went into holding for a moment while booking the replacement, that replacement is within the timeframe of holding, so it doesn’t matter. Right?
Right. I guess maybe what I’m asking is that the 31 days option is better than the 7 day one? What is the major difference between the two? Not sure why I’m so unsure lol.
 
  • Phatscott25

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Aug 28, 2015
    The only time it matters is if the reservation you are replacing costs more points then the one you are waitlisting. Example if your current reservation costs 100 points and the one you are waitlisting costs 90 then the 10 points you get back will go into holding since it's less than 30 days from check-in. You won't have to worry about that problem by checking the 31 days out option.
     

    CookieandOatmeal

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Apr 12, 2014
    The only time it matters is if the reservation you are replacing costs more points then the one you are waitlisting. Example if your current reservation costs 100 points and the one you are waitlisting costs 90 then the 10 points you get back will go into holding since it's less than 30 days from check-in. You won't have to worry about that problem by checking the 31 days out option.
    Thank you for the explanation. That was exactly what I needed to know. Now I feel better and know I did exactly what I needed to.
     

    Frederic Civish

    “I’m just here for the Ears.”
    Joined
    Apr 18, 2018
    So, if I understand, you plan to go in June. Period. No matter what. You currently have SSR and are trying to get BWV. You plan to go into the Holding period, with your SSR points. Meaning that the SSR reservation will go within the 30 day Holding period window. So, if you cancelled in the last month, you WOULD have Holding points from SSR.

    Okay, in that case, I would go into the SSR reservation, and choose MODIFY , and use it to find and request the BWV Waitlist request. AND I WOULD SET IT AT THE 7 DAY WINDOW. Why? Because it will not create new Holding Points. It will only use the ‘potential’ Holding points from the SSR reservation. The only way it would make ADditional Holding points is if you set up the Waitlist separately. But if you choose Modify, it will just take the SSR points and move them over into the BWV Reservation, lF BWV becomes available. And by going right up to the 7 day window, you increase your chances, if someone cancels late. Of course, they are MOST LIKELY to cancel just before the 30 day window.
     

    KAT4DISNEY

    Glad to be a test subject
    Joined
    Mar 17, 2008
    So, if I understand, you plan to go in June. Period. No matter what. You currently have SSR and are trying to get BWV. You plan to go into the Holding period, with your SSR points. Meaning that the SSR reservation will go within the 30 day Holding period window. So, if you cancelled in the last month, you WOULD have Holding points from SSR.

    Okay, in that case, I would go into the SSR reservation, and choose MODIFY , and use it to find and request the BWV Waitlist request. AND I WOULD SET IT AT THE 7 DAY WINDOW. Why? Because it will not create new Holding Points. It will only use the ‘potential’ Holding points from the SSR reservation. The only way it would make ADditional Holding points is if you set up the Waitlist separately. But if you choose Modify, it will just take the SSR points and move them over into the BWV Reservation, lF BWV becomes available. And by going right up to the 7 day window, you increase your chances, if someone cancels late. Of course, they are MOST LIKELY to cancel just before the 30 day window.
    It wouldn't matter how the waitlist is set up - ie you don't have to go thru the modify function as when you set one up just by searching it gives you the option to replace an existing reservation. If it were to fill 30 days or less it will direct to replace and the CM will cancel the existing reservation and use those points for the new room. Technically the points are placed into holding while that happens.

    I think the concern here was that they were waitlisting for a room that requires less points. If that filled then the difference would end up with a few points in holding that they may or may not use. The choice is if that's the "cost" of getting that different resort or if one would rather not bother and stick with what they have.
     

    Phatscott25

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Aug 28, 2015
    I have a somewhat related question now as I'm wait-listing for an upcoming reservation myself. If I change my waitlist from a 31 day to a 7 day, will I lose my place in the queue?
     

    stuartsong

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 20, 2001
    I have a somewhat related question now as I'm wait-listing for an upcoming reservation myself. If I change my waitlist from a 31 day to a 7 day, will I lose my place in the queue?
    I don't believe you lose your place. I would confirm with CM just to be sure.
     

    JFox

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    May 23, 2015
    What do y'all do if your waitlist doesn't come through? Cancel the trip? Book a non DVC reservation?

    I have a reservation at the Poly for January 13-18 and 2 waitlists active.
    Option 1 - 2 nights at the Poly for January 18-20
    Option 2 - 7 nights for Copper Creek to replace the current Poly reservation.

    If those 2 nights don't come in then we would probably book at one of the value resorts.
     

    KAT4DISNEY

    Glad to be a test subject
    Joined
    Mar 17, 2008
    What do y'all do if your waitlist doesn't come through? Cancel the trip? Book a non DVC reservation?

    I have a reservation at the Poly for January 13-18 and 2 waitlists active.
    Option 1 - 2 nights at the Poly for January 18-20
    Option 2 - 7 nights for Copper Creek to replace the current Poly reservation.

    If those 2 nights don't come in then we would probably book at one of the value resorts.
    My trips are not based on getting waitlists. Maybe if I lived close by but not with having to fly.
     

    Frederic Civish

    “I’m just here for the Ears.”
    Joined
    Apr 18, 2018
    I usually book at PopCentury, Art of Animation, French Quarter, or Caribbean Beach. Right now I have reservations in the fall for both French Quarter, and Caribbean Beach, and I also have DVC at BLT, Poly, and Jambo House. We will be doing some split stays.

    It doesn’t hurt to make a few extra reservations, so you are covered, just in case.
     

    Phatscott25

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Aug 28, 2015
    I don't believe you lose your place. I would confirm with CM just to be sure.
    Thanks for your response. I did check with a CM and you are correct. They said as long as you don't cancel the waitlist and start anew you will not lose your place.
     

    CookieandOatmeal

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Apr 12, 2014
    What do y'all do if your waitlist doesn't come through? Cancel the trip? Book a non DVC reservation?

    I have a reservation at the Poly for January 13-18 and 2 waitlists active.
    Option 1 - 2 nights at the Poly for January 18-20
    Option 2 - 7 nights for Copper Creek to replace the current Poly reservation.

    If those 2 nights don't come in then we would probably book at one of the value resorts.
    I usually book ahead at the 11/7 month window to ensure the best selection so waitlisting is new to me since we decided to go a little past 7 months. Since we have to buy airfare, we always make sure we have somewhere to stay on property.

    But if I were in your shoes, I would just do 2 days at a moderate and spend the rest of the trip at Poly through points.
     

    JFox

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    May 23, 2015
    Thanks for your response. I did check with a CM and you are correct. They said as long as you don't cancel the waitlist and start anew you will not lose your place.
    I attempted to change the dates for one of my WL options. When I select VIEW OR MODIFY my only options are DEACTIVATE or BACK (to previous page). There are no other links.20181230_083643.jpg
     

    Madame

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 15, 2014
    I attempted to change the dates for one of my WL options. When I select VIEW OR MODIFY my only options are DEACTIVATE or BACK (to previous page). There are no other links.View attachment 372220
    I don’t think you can modify your waitlist without cancelling, at least not online. Maybe a CM can?
     

    10CJ

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    May 10, 2015
    I tried to modify the dates of a waitlist online and could not do it. I did not try to call. I would be curious to know if any has been able to do that.
     

    KAT4DISNEY

    Glad to be a test subject
    Joined
    Mar 17, 2008
    I attempted to change the dates for one of my WL options. When I select VIEW OR MODIFY my only options are DEACTIVATE or BACK (to previous page). There are no other links.View attachment 372220
    I tried to modify the dates of a waitlist online and could not do it. I did not try to call. I would be curious to know if any has been able to do that.
    That has never been allowed as a change that keeps you in the same spot. The only modification you can do is to change from it expiring at 31 days out to 7 days out or vice versa. Anything else is creating a new waitlist.
     

    JFox

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    May 23, 2015
    I did speak to MS today and they confirmed that if I changed the dates I would lose my place in line. At this point I think I have a greater chance of being crowned the Queen of England than either WL coming though.

    To satiate my disappointment I booked a trip for May and October.
     

    Connect

    Disney News and Updates

    Daily Updates and News

    Subscribe to the DVCstore.com
    mailing list!

    BUY DVC


    SELL DVC


    DVC POINT CHARTS


    DIS PODCASTS

    Top