First Time Waitlisting

Discussion in 'DVC Member Services' started by CookieandOatmeal, Dec 8, 2018.

1. CookieandOatmeal

CookieandOatmeal DIS Veteran

So it's the first time I've waitlisted to get a third trip out of my AP. I just want to make sure that checking the 31 days cancellation option will not jeopardize my points (won't go into holding I guess). I currently have a reservation booked at SSR that I want to replace if the waitlist works. I'm hoping to get a Standard studio at BWV at the end of June which I know is a long shot but you never know until you try!

2. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

Well, if they went into holding for a moment while booking the replacement, that replacement is within the timeframe of holding, so it doesn’t matter. Right?

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Disney Vacation Club Resales www.dvcstore.com

4. CookieandOatmeal

Right. I guess maybe what I’m asking is that the 31 days option is better than the 7 day one? What is the major difference between the two? Not sure why I’m so unsure lol.

5. Phatscott25

Phatscott25 Mouseketeer

The only time it matters is if the reservation you are replacing costs more points then the one you are waitlisting. Example if your current reservation costs 100 points and the one you are waitlisting costs 90 then the 10 points you get back will go into holding since it's less than 30 days from check-in. You won't have to worry about that problem by checking the 31 days out option.

Ben E N, n2mm, Madame and 1 other person like this.
  6. CookieandOatmeal

Thank you for the explanation. That was exactly what I needed to know. Now I feel better and know I did exactly what I needed to.

7. Frederic Civish

Frederic Civish “I’m just here for the Ears.”

So, if I understand, you plan to go in June. Period. No matter what. You currently have SSR and are trying to get BWV. You plan to go into the Holding period, with your SSR points. Meaning that the SSR reservation will go within the 30 day Holding period window. So, if you cancelled in the last month, you WOULD have Holding points from SSR.

Okay, in that case, I would go into the SSR reservation, and choose MODIFY , and use it to find and request the BWV Waitlist request. AND I WOULD SET IT AT THE 7 DAY WINDOW. Why? Because it will not create new Holding Points. It will only use the ‘potential’ Holding points from the SSR reservation. The only way it would make ADditional Holding points is if you set up the Waitlist separately. But if you choose Modify, it will just take the SSR points and move them over into the BWV Reservation, lF BWV becomes available. And by going right up to the 7 day window, you increase your chances, if someone cancels late. Of course, they are MOST LIKELY to cancel just before the 30 day window.

8. KAT4DISNEY

KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

It wouldn't matter how the waitlist is set up - ie you don't have to go thru the modify function as when you set one up just by searching it gives you the option to replace an existing reservation. If it were to fill 30 days or less it will direct to replace and the CM will cancel the existing reservation and use those points for the new room. Technically the points are placed into holding while that happens.

I think the concern here was that they were waitlisting for a room that requires less points. If that filled then the difference would end up with a few points in holding that they may or may not use. The choice is if that's the "cost" of getting that different resort or if one would rather not bother and stick with what they have.

9. Phatscott25

Phatscott25 Mouseketeer

I have a somewhat related question now as I'm wait-listing for an upcoming reservation myself. If I change my waitlist from a 31 day to a 7 day, will I lose my place in the queue?

10. stuartsong

stuartsong DIS Veteran

I don't believe you lose your place. I would confirm with CM just to be sure.

11. JFox

JFox Mouseketeer

What do y'all do if your waitlist doesn't come through? Cancel the trip? Book a non DVC reservation?

I have a reservation at the Poly for January 13-18 and 2 waitlists active.
    Option 1 - 2 nights at the Poly for January 18-20
    Option 2 - 7 nights for Copper Creek to replace the current Poly reservation.

If those 2 nights don't come in then we would probably book at one of the value resorts.

12. KAT4DISNEY

KAT4DISNEY Glad to be a test subject

My trips are not based on getting waitlists. Maybe if I lived close by but not with having to fly.

13. Frederic Civish

I usually book at PopCentury, Art of Animation, French Quarter, or Caribbean Beach. Right now I have reservations in the fall for both French Quarter, and Caribbean Beach, and I also have DVC at BLT, Poly, and Jambo House. We will be doing some split stays.

It doesn’t hurt to make a few extra reservations, so you are covered, just in case.

14. Phatscott25

Phatscott25 Mouseketeer

Thanks for your response. I did check with a CM and you are correct. They said as long as you don't cancel the waitlist and start anew you will not lose your place.

15. CookieandOatmeal

I usually book ahead at the 11/7 month window to ensure the best selection so waitlisting is new to me since we decided to go a little past 7 months. Since we have to buy airfare, we always make sure we have somewhere to stay on property.

But if I were in your shoes, I would just do 2 days at a moderate and spend the rest of the trip at Poly through points.

16. Frederic Civish

That is good information to know. Thanks.