First Time Scooter Renters (EVC)/users. What company and 3 or 4 wheel?

Tigger1

DIS Veteran
Husband has back problems, surgery last December but still not getting around well. Finally convinced him that an ecv is necessary for this trip. He has never used one. Likely not to get on many rides but may be in line for a few with his scooter. So will need something that transfers to buses easily and able to easily go through lines. Comfortable seat as he will spend most of the time taking pictures while riding the EVC.

Please reply recommendations of company's to rent from and ease of riding. Not likely to do many rides having back concerns.

Thanks

Gold Mobility will have the most comfortable ride, as on the Victory 10 they use captains chairs, which most others charge extra for if they even offer them and they include fan, cell phone holder, cup holder and USB ports to charge your phone. Just be sure to get the appropriate size for his weight, either the Victory 10 or Maxima. They also include damage (most charge extra for this) and theft (most don't even offer this) coverage at no additional cost. They also provide ponchos. And in general are less expensive than their competitors, unless you have a shorter trip than about 4 days, as they have a flat rate for the first 7 days. Their equipment is also kept in good repair and replaced frequently. They also will come to you in the park in the rare case there is a problem, if you rent from anyone else, be sure to ask them what they do, as some make you get it back to your resort or to the front of the park. They also will meet on your schedule, usually they will be waiting for you as you arrive to your resort or for many non Disney resorts they will drop off at Bell Services, many others have preset times depending on your resort. Their controls are also much easier to use than some of the competitors (obviously if the competitor is using the same models, then that isn't an issue, but some use different ones). They also have the best customer service of just about any company we have ever dealt with, mobility or otherwise.

3 wheel is the easiest to maneuver and have never felt unstable on them. There are actually a lot of rides that are ok to do, even with back concerns. One other thing to note is that if the seats may be a concern (for example, Small World Mya be an issue due to the height of the seat back, depending on where his back injury is) and the attraction allows people to remain in wheelchairs (again small world does this), they will usually have the option to transfer to a park provided chair and use that, just politely ask.

Last edited:
Gold Mobility will have the most comfortable ride, as on the Victory 10 they use captains chairs, which most others charge extra for if they even offer them and they include fan, cell phone holder, cup holder and USB ports to charge your phone. Just be sure to get the appropriate size for his weight, either the Victory 10 or Maxima. They also include damage (most charge extra for this) and theft (most don't even offer this) coverage at no additional cost. They also provide ponchos. And in general are less expensive than their competitors, unless you have a shorter trip than about 4 days, as they have a flat rate for the first 7 days. Their equipment is also kept in good repair and replaced frequently. They also will come to you in the park in the rare case there is a problem, if you rent from anyone else, be sure to ask them what they do, as some make you get it back to your resort or to the front of the park. They also will meet on your schedule, usually they will be waiting for you as you arrive to your resort or for many non Disney resorts they will drop off at Bell Services, many others have preset times depending on your resort. Their controls are also much easier to use than some of the competitors (obviously if the competitor is using the same models, then that isn't an issue, but some use different ones). They also have the best customer service of just about any company we have ever dealt with, mobility or otherwise.

3 wheel is the easiest to maneuver and have never felt unstable on them. There are actually a lot of rides that are ok to do, even with back concerns. One other thing to note is that if the seats may be a concern (for example, Small World Mya be an issue due to the height of the seat back, depending on where his back injury is) and the attraction allows people to remain in wheelchairs (again small world does this), they will usually have the option to transfer to a park provided chair and use that, just politely ask.
Thank you so much Evita!

Your post is most useful information. He has had surgery in lower back and neck. If line is short he could walk the line. Longer lines he would need the scooter so that he is not standing/walking for an extended time. Weight will not be a problem for him but I think the high back chair will be a plus for his back.

Yes to the 3-wheel. When I bought a scooter a couple years ago. I asked the salesperson about the relative stability of 3 vs. 4 wheels, knowing that the 4 wheel cost $100 more so higher commission for her. So there was a reason to tell me 4 wheel was better. Yet, that salesperson told me honestly that. while maybe it was true at one time, the 3 wheel scooters now are just as stable. easier to maneuver, and have a smaller turning radius.

The Pride Victory 3 wheel and 4 wheel scooters are the best for the parks. The ones that Gold Mobility offers are loaded with lots of extras and are always like new when we rent them. We have used both, and i think it just comes down to preference.

Husband has back problems, surgery last December but still not getting around well. Finally convinced him that an ecv is necessary for this trip. He has never used one. Likely not to get on many rides but may be in line for a few with his scooter. So will need something that transfers to buses easily and able to easily go through lines. Comfortable seat as he will spend most of the time taking pictures while riding the EVC.

Please reply recommendations of company's to rent from and ease of riding. Not likely to do many rides having back concerns.

Thanks

I accidentally was given a 4 wheel (had requested a 3) and wondered why I had such trouble with the turn radius. I really very much disliked the 4 wheel - 3 wheel is so so so much easier to maneuver in lines, etc.

You are welcome and I would suggest taking the ECV in all queues that allow it, this will save energy and stamina for the ones that don't.
This!

I think almost all queues in Epcot, AK and HS are scooter friendly. I used one for the majority of my trip in January and found MK was the only park where I had to get off to get in line or transfer to manual wheelchair. I've alway used a 3 wheel and had no issues with maneuvering lines.

I'm using Gold Mobility for the first time in September for my USO/IOA trip but I've read nothing but rave reviews here on the boards.
I've used Scooterbug twice (May 2021 & Jan 2022) and both times I had an issue with my scooter. One time being it died while trying to get on the monorail from TTC to Poly. Thank God my BIL was there to help shove it onto the monorail and drag into the hotel because there was no option to put it into neutral.

This!

I think almost all queues in Epcot, AK and HS are scooter friendly. I used one for the majority of my trip in January and found MK was the only park where I had to get off to get in line or transfer to manual wheelchair. I've alway used a 3 wheel and had no issues with maneuvering lines.

I'm using Gold Mobility for the first time in September for my USO/IOA trip but I've read nothing but rave reviews here on the boards.
I've used Scooterbug twice (May 2021 & Jan 2022) and both times I had an issue with my scooter. One time being it died while trying to get on the monorail from TTC to Poly. Thank God my BIL was there to help shove it onto the monorail and drag into the hotel because there was no option to put it into neutral.
You'll have a great experience Gold Mobility, We have never been able to run the battery down. Out at 6AM and back at 11PM. Six multi rentals later still not a single issue.

Thanks
I rented the iRide from Mobility Plus. It is a small three-wheeled scooter and worked out fine. the delivery and pick-up were seamless and it was very easy to learn. I recommend them. Take a look at what they have to offer. We were just at POR Riverside and they delivered to our area. I didn't have to come to the lobby area.

This!

Was just at USO/IOA a couple of weeks ago. None of their ride queues allow ECV. Must transfer to wheelchair or stand in line. We were only doing shows and enjoying the atmosphere so the only thing we could not do was the Bourne stunt show as both me and husband were in ecv's. I maybe could have pushed him in a wheelchair but line was 30 minutes. The cast member told me that they only need to be compliant with ADA for wheelchairs.

Was just at USO/IOA a couple of weeks ago. None of their ride queues allow ECV. Must transfer to wheelchair or stand in line. We were only doing shows and enjoying the atmosphere so the only thing we could not do was the Bourne stunt show as both me and husband were in ecv's. I maybe could have pushed him in a wheelchair but line was 30 minutes. The cast member told me that they only need to be compliant with ADA for wheelchairs.
When I went in May, some rides I was allowed to enter through the exit - I specifically remember this for MIB and Flight of the Hippogriff.
I know I rode my scooter into the queue for ET as well.

I accidentally was given a 4 wheel (had requested a 3) and wondered why I had such trouble with the turn radius. I really very much disliked the 4 wheel - 3 wheel is so so so much easier to maneuver in lines, etc.
We have been using the 3 wheel lately also, big difference in maneuverability.

This is absolutely false, they have to be ADA compliant for ALL mobility devices.
I suspect it was a TM's poorly-worded "interpretation" of only allowing wheelchairs in the queues. They can restrict ECVs as long as they allow an alternative (manual wheelchairs). WDW does that too but only a few queues; I've never been to USO but understand they don't allow ECVs in any (or most) queues.

Update. I called Universal customer service to ask about the ECV versus wheelchair issue in their queues. Explained that we were not expecting to ride roller coasters but to mainly do shows and enjoy the atmosphere. At the end of our conversation the Universal cast member gave us a 50% refund on our tickets!! I did not ask or expect this but was pleasantly surprised!

I suspect it was a TM's poorly-worded "interpretation" of only allowing wheelchairs in the queues. They can restrict ECVs as long as they allow an alternative (manual wheelchairs). WDW does that too but only a few queues; I've never been to USO but understand they don't allow ECVs in any (or most) queues.
They really need to come up with better accommodations, as not everyone can do a wheelchair through the queues, but could do fine taking an ECV through. Not saying they legally have to, but that it would be the right thing to do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter