First time, one day, trip plan help?

Neverbeast

Mouseketeer
We’re planning a multi-family, multi-generation Disney trip where my 13 yo niece will be doing a lot of accommodating for the adults eating tastes and the little kids riding choices... we want her to have one day all about her interests so planning to send her, her dad, and her grandpa over to Universal for one day during the trip. I have zero experience there and a huge trip to plan for 11 other people, can you all help me plan out this one day for them?

When: mid sept 2020
Where: Staying on disney property, will probably Uber over
Who: 13 yo niece, huge Harry Potter fan, 36yo dad loves simpsons, grouchy about theme parks in general, 70yo grandpa, loves theme parks and gets excited about everything like a kid but can’t do miles and miles of walking in the heat without breaks.

I assume they need a two park pass and possibly the express pass to ride everything in one day? Should they try to do a HHN day and leave when party crowds start or go for the non-party longer day?

Should I plan a sit down meal for them or will they be fine grabbing QS as they go? Do I need to preplan anything else for them, or is it more chill than a Disney day?

No need to pre-plan anything. With just one day, I wouldn't waste the time on a sit down dining experience. If anything, have them grab something at Citywalk after so they can extend their outing. They can do dinner, shop, maybe mini-golf if interested.

I wouldn't do an HHN night because Diagon Alley at night is too magical to miss.

If you can swing one night in a hotel the night before for them (they could enjoy the CityWalk stuff then), then they could have early entry (super handy) and a deluxe hotel will include the Express Passes. Run the numbers and it might come out to a comparable deal as buying EPs out of pocket and they can have a leisurely morning. It's the best way to do a "day trip" to Universal.

If not, make sure their Uber or Lyft is dropping them off about 45 minutes before park opening and have tickets (park to park) in hand.

The parks are more compact than Disney so your older family member should be ok.

OP I just came back and did a one day, 2-park ticket with my DH, sister, and mom and dad who are both approaching 70. We started in Diagon Alley and then took the Hogwarts Express over to Hogsmeade to get all of the Harry Potter stuff done first, then circled around Islands of Adventure to do what we wanted there and ended back in Universal Studios. Both HP lands are in the back of the park, so walking back to one of them is a requirement, however that being said the train between the two is very convenient, and depending on what other lands/attractions and rides they want to see you can hit some of them on your way back there (Jurassic Park is close to Hogsmeade in IOA, Simpsons ride is close to Diagon Alley in US).

We stopped for lunch and snacks periodically, my dad's hip and knee started to bother him in the afternoon so he took a break to plop down and drink a beer, and even with breaks we were able to get everything we wanted to done. Happy to answer any additional questions if you want to know more. Good luck and they will have so much fun!

This is SO helpful. That sounds like a good plan to Send them off with. I know my Brother will enjoy all the Simpsons stuff and it’s good to know they can make a loop without too much switch back for my step dad.

This is SO helpful. That sounds like a good plan to Send them off with. I know my Brother will enjoy all the Simpsons stuff and it’s good to know they can make a loop without too much switch back for my step dad.

And make sure they get on the Hagrid coaster!!! It’s a can’t miss :) (Pro tip: grab a line beer to make the wait go faster ;))

We often go in September (we should be there right except for we wound up postponing 3 weeks due to Dorian) and it is a great, low crowd time to visit. I would recommend poking around other people's threads to pick up on some of the common advice. But in your specific situation:

- Getting the Express Pass is up to your budget. If you can swing it, great. If not, you can do plenty in one day. Getting there early (well before park opening) and taking advantage of things like the single rider lines will help a lot. Instead of buying separate EPs, you might consider getting a "throw away" room at one of the EP hotels. If you avoid a HHN, the rooms can be found for a relatively good price and then, if anyone needs a mid-day break, you do have a place to do so.

- With just one day, you probably aren't going to be able to do everything. Prioritize the "must do" and have a secondary "it would be nice" list. For a HP fan, the castle, Gringotts, Hagrid's and the Hogwarts Express (making sure to take it both ways) is a must. Multiple rides on the castle and Gringotts (and probably Hagrid's) can be done via single rider, but make sure to experience the stand-by line at least once (preferably first). Also, I would plan on getting a wand at Ollivander's and spending some time casting spells. The night-time castle show is probably a must-do as well, if they have the stamina. Try not to do the first show. They happen every 10-15 minutes and the first one will be packed. The subsequent ones will be much more comfortable.

- Don't plan on a sit-down meal. Both HP lands have quick service restaurants that the 13 yo will want to experience.

- The Horror Make-up show is a fabulous place to take an air-conditioned mid-afternoon break. The Animal Actors is a second-best (no air conditioning, seats aren't as comfy). Both are on the Studios side. Men In Black has the best air-conditioning, particularly the single rider line.

- I would plan on a non-HHN if possible. If you do go, make sure to switch in Islands around 4 p.m. (if using the Hogwarts Express) or walk from park to park. At closing the HE line gets stupid long.

I hope that helps!

Oh that actually made me think of a question- if they use EP do they see the full queue for things? Or does it bypass like the single rider line?

There are some rides where I use the regular line at least once as some by pass a few things in the ep lines.

Spiderman, MIB, Mummy, ET are the ones I do regular line once before I use the express lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter