First time doing any Run Disney event - Princess 5k - Breakfast reservation timing

amandolin

Mouseketeer
Hello,
The Princess 5K will be my first run Disney event. But I know I'm going to be hungry when its over. What time should I make a breakfast reservation? Any suggestions?

FYI - We aren't real runners so I assume we'll take time to complete the 5k. I'm sure we'll be at the back when the race starts so we're out of the way of the people who are actually trying to time their runs.

You're going to need to be a bit more specific to nail down a time window.
1. Where are you staying? (On site or off)
2. Driving yourself or taking race day bus transport?
3. Target pace?
4. When you say back, are you planning on being in the last corral? What was the estimated pace you input for race registration?
5. Are you planning on nap, shower, changing prior to breakfast or just heading somewhere directly from the race?
6. Any particular breakfast reservation you are planning on trying for? I already did mine and the pickings were slim for some of the days even on the first day.

In general, the 5k is a short enough with an early enough start that you should have plenty of time to get just about anywhere. The above questions will only help you figure out how much time to allow for all the extra stuff surrounding race day.

You're going to need to be a bit more specific to nail down a time window.
1. Where are you staying? (On site or off)
2. Driving yourself or taking race day bus transport?
3. Target pace?
4. When you say back, are you planning on being in the last corral? What was the estimated pace you input for race registration?
5. Are you planning on nap, shower, changing prior to breakfast or just heading somewhere directly from the race?
6. Any particular breakfast reservation you are planning on trying for? I already did mine and the pickings were slim for some of the days even on the first day.

In general, the 5k is a short enough with an early enough start that you should have plenty of time to get just about anywhere. The above questions will only help you figure out how much time to allow for all the extra stuff surrounding race day.

Oh thank you so much! Its so apparent that this is my first go-around!

1. We're staying off site at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.
2. We are driving ourselves.
3. 15 minutes mile
4. I put the 14-16 minute selection
5. My plan for now is just to go straight to breakfast afterwards and then go shower, nap, etc.
6. I have an 8 am reservation for Trails End. I just wondered if that was too late.. but I don't know how much "stuff" there is to do surrounding the event!

Oh thank you so much! Its so apparent that this is my first go-around!

1. We're staying off site at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.
2. We are driving ourselves.
3. 15 minutes mile
4. I put the 14-16 minute selection
5. My plan for now is just to go straight to breakfast afterwards and then go shower, nap, etc.
6. I have an 8 am reservation for Trails End. I just wondered if that was too late.. but I don't know how much "stuff" there is to do surrounding the event!

Ok, so if you are driving yourself that takes a little of the time from catching busses back to the resort out of the equation. With a back of the pack start and a 15 min pace, you'll probably be done by 6:15 as a conservative estimate. You'll be surprised at the amount of time it takes to walk from the finish line to the parking area. And there are some photo ops that you may want to stop for. For me, I hate feeling rushed so an 8 am breakfast reservation isn't too late. You'll likely be there early but if the process of getting to your car takes longer than you anticipate or you spend more time on course than you originally accounted for or traffic is bad, you have a buffer and you won't be stressing out about being late.

Ok, so if you are driving yourself that takes a little of the time from catching busses back to the resort out of the equation. With a back of the pack start and a 15 min pace, you'll probably be done by 6:15 as a conservative estimate. You'll be surprised at the amount of time it takes to walk from the finish line to the parking area. And there are some photo ops that you may want to stop for. For me, I hate feeling rushed so an 8 am breakfast reservation isn't too late. You'll likely be there early but if the process of getting to your car takes longer than you anticipate or you spend more time on course than you originally accounted for or traffic is bad, you have a buffer and you won't be stressing out about being late.
Thank you so much!! This make me feel better! I don't like being rushed or late!

So excited for you- congratulations on doing your 1st Princess 5K!! We'll be there right with you. DH is doing the 5K with me, he likes to take his time during the race (photos etc.).

I hear you about the Food. At the 2.5 mile mark during the Wine and Dine 5K all I could think about was waffles and bacon.

Make sure you do the post race photos. Disney Photographer are in the pre-race parking lot. You may want to consider adding time to freshen up a bit prior to your breakfast.

Make sure you are prepared for rain. Bring a rain poncho with you (they don't allow umbrellas during the race).

Let me know if you have other questions.
Renee

So excited for you- congratulations on doing your 1st Princess 5K!! We'll be there right with you. DH is doing the 5K with me, he likes to take his time during the race (photos etc.).

I hear you about the Food. At the 2.5 mile mark during the Wine and Dine 5K all I could think about was waffles and bacon.

Make sure you do the post race photos. Disney Photographer are in the pre-race parking lot. You may want to consider adding time to freshen up a bit prior to your breakfast.

Make sure you are prepared for rain. Bring a rain poncho with you (they don't allow umbrellas during the race).

Let me know if you have other questions.
Renee
Thanks so much! I'm starting to get excited. I did even realize there would be post race photos.. other than all the ones I'll take!

So there really are photo ops throughout the race itself?? I read that but wasn't sure what that really entailed.

And good tip on the ponchos. I know I have a real one but maybe I'll grab a couple emergency ones since they'll be easier to shove in a pocket!

Thanks so much! I'm starting to get excited. I did even realize there would be post race photos.. other than all the ones I'll take!

So there really are photo ops throughout the race itself?? I read that but wasn't sure what that really entailed.

And good tip on the ponchos. I know I have a real one but maybe I'll grab a couple emergency ones since they'll be easier to shove in a pocket!
Yes, several photo ops with characters along the race course. Sometimes there are some that you don’t see in the parks, or at least not frequently. So, if your 15 min pace didn’t account for that and you think you may want to stop for pictures, add in some extra time. They also used to have characters in the pre-race area but the last coupLe of races, it has just been backdrops.

Yes, several photo ops with characters along the race course. Sometimes there are some that you don’t see in the parks, or at least not frequently. So, if your 15 min pace didn’t account for that and you think you may want to stop for pictures, add in some extra time. They also used to have characters in the pre-race area but the last coupLe of races, it has just been backdrops.
I didnt even think of that! Do you have any idea when they start "picking people up" if we're too slow??

The balloon ladies are the last to cross and keep a 16 min mile pace. You just have to stay in front of them and you are updated on their location if you are close to getting swept. However, I have heard from other rundisney participants who have done more 5k than I have that they don’t really sweep the 5k. I don’t know if that means they just urge you along or after a certain point there just won’t really be any characters out. If you are keeping a 15 min pace, you should still be able to stop but may have to pass a few to build a buffer. Especially if you end up placed in the last corral, where your buffer to the balloon ladies will be pretty short.

I don’t know if that means they just urge you along or after a certain point there just won’t really be any characters out.

Yes, in the past, they've had no "sweep" for the 5k. They will close character lines, encourage you to move along, and if you're unable to keep the pace, then they have even driven some runners in a golf cart to the finish line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter