First time crusiers

wtlivesey

GoofyGuyInDelaware
I know this is probably something that has been asked numerous times, and I totally understand if no one wants to respone, but I would greatly apprecitate any help that can be provided. My wife and I are celebrating out 10th wedding anniversary in October, we were married at the Wedding Pavillion in '99. We are thinking of celebrating it by going on a Disney cruse, it it will be a first for us both, not just a Disney curise but a curise in general. My wife gets motion sickness so it's a big deal, we have been looking into ways to cope with that as we speak. One of our questions is would it better to do a 3 day or a 4 day cruise, we were thinking 4 days to be able to spend sometime on shipboard activities, since the 3 days doesn't really give much time for those. Second question, what is a better location of room, front of ship, middle, or rear, or is there any difference when it comes to motions? Thirdly, we are part time Florida residents, would it be better to wait for a Florida resident offer to comeout or book as soon as we've made our final decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and any other info that would be approriate. If any could provide a link to a previous post that would be greatly apprecitated too.

Bill

Congratulations on your anniversary!!:cheer2:

Here are some suggestions to the questions you have asked:

Motion Sickness: Most people that experience this find good results on cruise ships by being in a room that is in the middle of the ship and as close to the water line as possible. I get motion sickness myself and the few times we've been on DCL room 2575 is our room :) That, and one Bonine pill per day and I've never had a problem, even in rough seas.

Length: The longer the better. I would actually suggest a 7 day trip if you can find a way to do it.

Florida: Can't help with this one, but there are lots of people here that can. A good TA would be able to help arrange things, and I've heard lots of good things on here about DU (the sponsor of the DCL forums here).

Whatever you choose, if you decide to do DCL make sure when you make your reservation that they know about your anniversary. Also, look into the REAS package, my DW and I have done it before and have really enjoyed it.

I get motion sickness/sea sickness and took Bonine on last cruise and was FINE! Gookd luck planninng...we are first time DCL cruisers too...9/19/09

Ginger is also very good for motion sickness. Take it every day for a few days before the cruise and when on the cruise and it will help. Also if you feel ill buy ginger ale from any of the bars! It's well worth it - also I think its free with dinner?

Welcome from Delaware! We are cruising for the first time ever this September. (Our Anniversary is in October)

consider going a few weeks early and come on a September cruise. Best prices all year long and that way you can maybe do a 7 day. I've heard it is the way to go. If you can't swing it, definitely at least 4 day.

We are planning on "preventative measures" agaisnt sea sickness. Bonine is what I hear works like a charm.

Keep checking the month/length of cruise you want on the DCL site and when you see what you want, book it. (I don't know why, but I get my best deals showing after midnight and then they disappear by morning?) You can always change your mind and get a full refund, transfer to a TA later. Book with your Disney Visa for extra OBC's (on board credit).

Just keep asking questions on here and lots of people will help you out.

My DH swears by Bonine too, he gets sick on amusement park rides, planes and in cars if he's not the driver.

Take the Bonine at night before you go to sleep, its good for 24 hours. But it'll knock you out if you are sensitive to it, the packages says "may cause drowsiness". So if you take it before bed and sleep off the effects, you'll feel fine all day.

Oh great tip about taking it before you go to bed! Maybe it will even help with some of that vacation insomnia! And shouldn't upset the tummy or produce to many other side effects if you are sleeping right? I've yet to check it out in the pharmacy but am wondering about other drug interactions with it? I keep hearing it has little to no side effects at all.

the only side effect my DH gets is the sleepiness. When he takes it for plane travel, he chews the tablet as we are getting into the airport and by the time we take off, he is snoring. Me, I can't sleep sitting up, I'm jealous when he gets to nap on the plane, But I don't get seasick so I won't take the bonine just to sleep.

Thanks for all the great info. I would love to do a 7 day, but wife want's to minimize any trouble she may have, at least this time around, this is our test, that and the 4 day we are looking at falls on our anniversay date, and it also falls at the beginning our 2 week vacation to Florida. My wife was diagnoses with MS in 2007 so she is also worried how that might be affect by the cruise, so the 4 day at this point I think is the best, till we see, I'm being the optimistic one think it will be fine, it's taken me ten years to convince to do a cruise in general and her love of Mickey and Disney made a Disney cruise the best option. We own a home in St. Cloud so we want to take as much of an advantage of all the discounts we can if they are worthwhile, I have learned not always an advantage, but with Disney it seems to work out the best, oh and Universal. We originally were looking at 3 day, but I realized with that we wouldn't have much onboard time, and we want to try to get a feeling for what the ship has to offer also.

Another vote for Bonine. They have a generic version (meclizine) of it available that is much, much cheaper.

Just note that even with the Bonine, you will still feel the motion of the ocean, and that does take some getting used to. You just won't get sick.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter