First time cruiser questions..

Maliki2

DIS Veteran
We are cruising next year in November out of Port Canaveral on RCCL.

We will be flying into MCO. We don't want to rent a car, which worries me a little. We will be checking in somewhere the night before to play it safe.

1) Anyone know any decent hotels near the Port?

2) If hotel check out is 11..cruise sales out at 4...what do we do with luggage between there if we don't have a car.

3) Anyone have rates from MCO to close to the Port, taxi, Uber etc for two?

Thanks, I'm sure I will have some more planning questions as we get closer!

2) If hotel check out is 11..cruise sales out at 4...what do we do with luggage between there if we don't have a car.
3 things I can think of:
-See what time you will actually board the ship. Boarding begins hours before the sail away so you might not have that big of gap (if any).
-Request a late check out from your hotel. Most are pretty accommodating.
-The hotel's front desk will usually hold your bags if you request it. That way you can explore the area without dragging around your luggage.

1) There are a LOT of hotels near (within 5 miles) of the port. Literally too many to name. Your other option is to say in an Orlando area (either near the airport, Universal, Disney, or elsewhere) hotel. LOTS of options and will depend on your cost & arrival time.

2) Check in will probably be some time between 11a-3p. Whether you're assigned a check in time (which they're currently doing) is TBD. Personally, I believe in getting on the ship ASAP. After all, you're paying for the food, the drink, and the activities.

3) Sorry, can't help you on the transportation rate.

We sail early December this year. We were able to pick our PAT (about) 45 days prior. It showed either on the app or the website (can’t remember) our check in date. It opens at 12:01am. We were able to book a 12 noon PAT. Our friends traveling with us didn’t do it until the next day early afternoon and got 12:30.
You have to be paid in full to check in.
I agree to try and board as soon as possible. Lunch is served😀 Bars are open. 🤣
Cabins are not available until a little later in the day so try not to carry to much on. You will check your luggage with the porters when you arrive and it will be delivered to your cabin.
If anyone wants to swim bring a small bag with swimsuits. There are restrooms near the pool to change in.
*** also keep checking back we were able to move ours to 11:30 today😊😊😊

Last edited:
Transportation:
Uber: You can look at the Uber app and get an idea of how much it will cost.
Private transportation: The are a number of companies that you can hire to drive you to the port. Companies people have used.
Mears, Happy Limo and Florida Tours.
These companies will also do a grocery stop to pick up beer or wine. Each cabin is allowed 2 bottles of wine 🍷)
Car Rental: Depending on the cost some find it more convenient to rent a car. Many of the hotels in Port Canaveral will allow you to leave your car while you are on the cruise.
You can also park at the cruise terminal. The advantage of this is no waiting for shuttles you can come and go to fit your schedule. But is cost to park.

Hotel:
Port Canaveral is about 45-55 minutes from the Orlando airport.
I like staying there because you are close to the cruise terminal.
Port Canaveral area has lots!! of hotels. It is also located about 10-15 minutes from Cocoa Beach.
Depending on when you arrive the day before you may be able to get a hotel in Cocoa Beach and get a little beach time before your cruise.
The Disney Cruise page on this site has a lot of hotel information.
I don’t like how the search button works on Disboards so justGoogle disboards hotels port Canaveral.

Couple of things. :)

1) Just because the ship leaves at 4, it doesn't mean you board the ship at 4. They want you onboard not later than 90 minutes before sailing. Which means 2:30. Honestly, I'd try for a check-in time sometimes before noon. That way, you can eat lunch, finish e-muster at your leisure and explore the ship. Drop the bags off with the porters (save some carry-ons for swim suits) and the bags will be in your room by late afternoon.

2) Look into GoPort.com. They offer hotels, both in Orlando and by the port as well as shuttles to and from the airport and to the port.

https://www.goport.com/

Nothing that's been said here is 'wrong' but which is 'best' depends.

1. What's your priority? Simplicity ..... cost .....

2. You probably haven't booked flights yet but when you get to MCO has an impact. Arrive too late to enjoy the beach or pool? Then stay near the airport. Getting in early enuf to enjoy pool / beach of Canaveral? Then booking your own transport day you arrive may be worth it . . .

IF as a first time cruiser you wanted least stress AND arriving in early evening or later to MCO and not concerned about lowest cost: I'd recommend just booking a room at the airport hotel and the airport transfers the next day from the cruise line. They will get you a checkin time that works with their bus schedule (you'll be on board in time for lunch) and once you hand your bags over at MCO when getting on the bus they will probably magically appear in your room on the ship (things MAY have changed with COVID). Least stress ... not least cost.

As right now we haven't booked our flights since the cruise in November of next year. Plan is to fly in the night before, do the cruise, then probably 2 days at my DVC resort before flying back home.

Sounds like we will probably just stay at the airport hotel and bus to the cruise. Thanks for all the help everyone!!! I'm sure I will have plenty more questions in the next few months...

Couple of things. :)

1) Just because the ship leaves at 4, it doesn't mean you board the ship at 4. They want you onboard not later than 90 minutes before sailing. Which means 2:30. Honestly, I'd try for a check-in time sometimes before noon. That way, you can eat lunch, finish e-muster at your leisure and explore the ship. Drop the bags off with the porters (save some carry-ons for swim suits) and the bags will be in your room by late afternoon.

2) Look into GoPort.com. They offer hotels, both in Orlando and by the port as well as shuttles to and from the airport and to the port.

https://www.goport.com/

Doing some searching. Looks like we are going to stay at the airport and take a Goport back and forth. Rent a car on the return for 3 nights at Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!