First time back in about 10 years

kpadalik

DIS Veteran
We live about 2 hours from WDW and, except for a yearly visit for MNSSHP or MVMCP, we haven't really been to the parks as a family in 10 years. We used to be Annual Passholders and knew the parks better than our own backyard. But due to a work injury my husband received on the job (hubby is a police officer) the parks weren't really on the top of our list, unfortunately. Anyways, life is much better now, sooooo....we are going as a family for about a week March 18-24 (this year). We are thinking of staying at All Star Sports, but are also looking at renting points for a DVC. We are doing 4 park days with a day in the middle for rest. A few questions...

1) Are the beds comfy at All Star Sports? The hotel is just fine for us, but a comfy bed is important for the husband.

2) Magic Bands...haven't used them before. Is there a thread that I can read that has all the info about Magic Bands?

3) While we have been to MK, we haven't been to the other parks. Are there any new/major differences that I need to know before I go?

4) Dining...we aren't going to do the Dining plan. If you had to pick one restaurant in each park (and one in Disney Springs), what would it be? I have an idea of what I would pick, but again, it's been many years since we've been to the parks and I know things have changed!

5) Fastpasses...the last time we did Fastpasses, they were the paper ones! Is there a thread that gives a quick rundown of how the Fastpasses and MDE work?

We are so excited to go. Before, we had always gone for a weekend trip and most of the time have stayed off site. This is the first real Disney vacation we have ever done...on property, all 4 parks in one visit, staying for a week, etc...we told our kiddos last night (16 and 11). Even though our 11 year old remembers the MK from the parties she has been to, she has no recollection of the other 3 parks. She asked if she could get a "1st visit" button! LOL

Last edited:
1) Are the beds comfy at All Star Sports? The hotel is just fine for us, but a comfy bed is important for the husband.
5) Fastpasses...the last time we did Fastpasses, they were the paper ones! Is there a thread that gives a quick rundown of how the Fastpasses and MDE work?
1) What a person thinks is "comfy" varies by the individual.
We have stayed for many years and many trips at the All Star resorts.
5) Yes. Read the first 5-10 posts on the
FastPass+ Frequently Asked Questions Sticky Post (HERE.)

I know this doesn't answer your questions specifically but knowing you haven't been in 10 years, and you want this vacation to be special (it will be automatically!), I just have a few recommended things for you all to try if it's in the budget :goodvibes

California Grill is a very nice restaurant at the Contemporary Resort, where if you are able to time your reservation right, you can watch the Happily Ever After Fireworks happening at Magic Kingdom. They feed the music in to the restaurant! I would prefer to eat, and then while having dessert step outside and watch the fireworks from there. That's what my fiance and I will be doing during our honeymoon and know I'd imagine it will be a highlight of our trip! It would be special for folks of all ages :wizard:

They also have fireworks Cruises, both for Magic Kingdom and Epcot's fireworks. Those can also be on the expensive side but there are threads on here where people split the cost of the fireworks cruises and share the experience with another family, couple, or solo-goer to make it more affordable! Not to mention both Epcot and Magic Kingdom also have Fireworks Dessert parties :tink:.

Anything in Epcot in terms of food, just take a general idea of what type of foods your family is interested in and see what each restaurant offers. World Showcase has e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. I don't think I hear good reviews about the restaurant San Angel Inn Restaurante that's inside the Mexico Pavilion, but haven't heard much else in terms of "bad food" at the World Showcase. My personal favorite is Chef de France for the baguettes and Gratin de Macaroni (Baked Macaroni with cream and Gruyère cheese).

Just make sure to grab some reservations for both dining and fastpasses as soon as you all can, since your trip is coming up so quickly! :mickeyjum

Major rides at each park that are considered "Must-Do"s for us, but be mindful of what kind of rides your family would enjoy. There are plenty more rides others would consider 'must-do's!

Magic Kingdom: Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, 7 Dwarfs Mine Train (probably the hardest at MK to get a FP for), Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, It's A Small World
Epcot: Soarin', Frozen Ever After (probably the hardest at Epcot to get a FP for), Test Track, Living With The Land, Spaceship Earth
Animal Kingdom: Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Flight of Passage (the second most difficult in all of WDW to get a FP for at the moment), Na'vi River Journey, Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safaris
Hollywood Studios: Slinky Dog Dash (probably the most difficult in all of WDW to get a FP for at the moment!), Rockin' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania

This was long but I hope it helps!! Have a MAGICAL trip! ::MinnieMo

We live about 2 hours from WDW and, except for a yearly visit for MNSSHP or MVMCP, we haven't really been to the parks as a family in 10 years. We used to be Annual Passholders and knew the parks better than our own backyard. But due to a work injury my husband received on the job (hubby is a police officer) the parks weren't really on the top of our list, unfortunately. Anyways, life is much better now, sooooo....we are going as a family for about a week March 18-24 (this year). We are thinking of staying at All Star Sports, but are also looking at renting points for a DVC. We are doing 4 park days with a day in the middle for rest. A few questions...

2) Magic Bands...haven't used them before. Is there a thread that I can read that has all the info about Magic Bands?

3) While we have been to MK, we haven't been to the other parks. Are there any new/major differences that I need to know before I go?

4) Dining...we aren't going to do the Dining plan. If you had to pick one restaurant in each park (and one in Disney Springs), what would it be? I have an idea of what I would pick, but again, it's been many years since we've been to the parks and I know things have changed!

We are so excited to go. Before, we had always gone for a weekend trip and most of the time have stayed off site. This is the first real Disney vacation we have ever done...on property, all 4 parks in one visit, staying for a week, etc...we told our kiddos last night (16 and 11). Even though our 11 year old remembers the MK from the parties she has been to, she has no recollection of the other 3 parks. She asked if she could get a "1st visit" button! LOL

There is a thread about Magicbands, but I'm on my Tablet, so I can't navigate as efficiently here as I do on my desktop to find it. However, I can give you a quick rundown. The Magicband is simply your "key" to Disney. Nothing is specifically on it, you just link your tickets to it and you can use that for park entry. It's the key to your room at the resort you choose, and can also be used for entry into FP once you make the reservations on MDE.

Some also set up charging privileges on their band. That can be done when you do online check in. It saves your card info to the band and then sets up a $100 fee for incidentals I believe is the correct word. Someone else will have to chime in on this as my knowledge is limited. I won't be doing this as I only have a bank card and don't want holds or what have you throwing off my balance. I will have a special VISA card set up just for Disney spending. My debit card will only be used while in route to Disney or home.

Your band comes automatically with a resort stay. You can customize them once you book your resort. They ship to you a few weeks before check in. It will have to be activated that first time either at your resort or guest services. Being as we are FL residents, I believe we have to go to guest services in whatever park we visit first because we have to prove FL residency. After that first time we are good!

I'm leaving you a link from the Disney website on Magicbands. I hope it helps! Hope I did too! pixiedust:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/plan/my-disney-experience/bands-cards/

I have a bad back, so I'm sensitive to bedding. I did not enjoy the beds at the Value's. Small and not that comfy. Moderates POR, and CBR were fine, DVC points rental Saratoga was fine, Swan was also fine.
I travel a lot for work and spend plenty of time in hotels. Based upon only one room experience all stars, I'd say the beds are below average. Again only one visit, but the bed was the deciding factor in not choosing a value in subsequent trips to WDW. Some of it is that they are doubles instead of queens, which makes it a little harder to roll around to find a comfy spot. I'm 5'8" 180.....not exactly in tip top athletic shape, but not exactly fluffy either. Beds are my only gripe with values, but If I don't sleep, it makes the vacation a little less enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter