First time Aulani Tips

MommyCMickey

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!!!

I’m so glad I’ve found this forum, I’ve used the search engine and have already gotten a lot of information about Aulani both pre and post (current) Covid.

We booked this trip by renting DVC points because it just seemed like a better deal after all our research. We’re going December 11-17 and our daughter will be turning 2 while we’re there so honestly it’s her bday trip because we have made a pact as a family to always keep her birthday and Christmas separate. She’s definitely a water lover so I’m hoping the weather in December is warm enough for her to enjoy the pools and beaches. Are sand toys allowed on the beach?

Anyways, I would really love any tips/pointers to make our trip smooth. With our daughter, we’ve already been to 4 countries and 8 states so I’m not too worried about traveling (we’ll be coming from Orlando). But when we arrive, we’ve already booked a shuttle to and from the airport so we won’t have a rental car, and we’ve already booked the luau.

Do we need to make reservations for dinner? And how far in advance? Is it like WDW when we have to do it (180, now 60) days in advance?My husband and I are both fully vaccinated with the booster (field of work we’re in required the booster).

Most things I’ve read were precovid. Any dining tips on where we absolutely should eat both on and off the resort? We’re willing to Uber for good food, I’ve read about Monkeypod so that’s on our list for sure.

The rainbow feeding, is it worth it for a 2 year old? Thank so much! We’re really excited about it

There's a grocery store across the street run by ABC. Since you won't have a car, you can pick up some food for your room for whatever meals you want to do on your own. Depends if you have studio or 1 BR to the extent of your cooking. ( Even just for snacks and beverages... Esp adult bevs 🍻, you will save a ton of $$ vs buying at resort ) I hear the poke is good here... We bought a bunch at Costco, and didn't get a chance to try it here. Disney ulu cafe poke supposed to be good too... Just each option progressively more expensive.

Sand toys are complimentary at the rental shack at the lagoon... Along with boogie boards, and maybe a couple other things.

We didn't do the snorkel stuff, but if you are into it, they have a length of stay rental that's probably worth it if you use it 2 days or more.

There are lots of posts about nearby dining.

Since you are renting DVC points parking would be free... Something to consider if the daily fee was keeping you from renting a car. Really expands options having a car... But with a little one and if you are looking for resort time, then yeah no need for car.

Have fun!

Hi and welcome!

First, I would highly reconsider renting a car. Ko'Olina is not in a location where there are a lot of dining choices nearby or activities. I do understand that many people go just to experience Aulani. However, there is so much to do on the island to see even with a little one. Ride share are a lot more expensive right now than usual so in the end you will probably save by renting as prices have dropped.

I love going to the North Shore and stopping in Haleiwa. There are a lot of shops and food options. Waikiki Beach is also something you should experience even if just for a few hours. We love eating at Dukes, Hula Grill, and Cheeseburger in Paradise. Leonard's Malasadas are a must for us every trip. Okay, we get them multiple times on our trips.

Others will have better ideas for you. I just can't stress enough that having a car makes life so much easier while staying in the Ko'Olina area.

Looks like you'll be there a while; I would do a grocery stop at the Safeway (Costco is nearby too) on the way. No matter which room we get - a studio/1BR/2BR - we always get drinks (case of water, juice boxes, sodas, etc.) and easy tide-you-over snacks (fruit, veggie sticks, granola bars, cheese sticks, nut mixes, etc) as dining at/near Aulani is pricey. If we're in a 1BR or 2BR we also get easy meal fixings -sandwiches, salads, ice cream bars, frozen pizza, and general breakfast type stuff.
As stated above the sand toys are free to check out from the shack at the lagoon - its a net bag filled with an assortment. There's also life vests at the towel stations (around the pool complex) free for use.

And to add to the chorus - a car is very very useful! And using DVC no parking fees!

Places to eat within "walking" distance (I use quotes because we're not walking people, so we've driven & we're locals so we have our cars at Aulani when we stay), Longhi's at the Marriott (best for breakfast or seafood dinner, don't order steak), La Hiki Kitchen, Mina's Fish House, Noe at Four Seasons, Monkeypod Kitchen, Roy's Koolina, Eggs & Things, are the dine-in places nearby. Roy's has the most limited seating, so I'd advise making reservations there ASAP thru OpenTable or calling them. Other takeout places like Pizza Corner, Tropic Poke, Black Sheep Cream Co (the best homemade ice cream!!) are across the street along with the ABC store.
Makahiki is the only dine-in restaurant open at Aulani right now. Serving breakfast & dinner with character photo ops during breakfast on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat & Sun. Sample menus of both meals are on the Aulani website. Both meals are prix fixe.

To dine on Aulani property, you will need to show your vaccination cards with IDs when you check in & wear the "dining" wristband during your whole stay. When we were there, it was a black Aulani wristband. They checked it for our character breakfast at Makahiki & are supposed to check it at takeout Aulani restaurants like Ulu Cafe, Little Opihi, Off the Hook, Mama's Snack Shop, Papalua Shave Ice.

While I've heard that crowds have been low, I still think if you want chairs by the pools, you will have to be saving chairs before 8am. Otherwise, the beach/lagoon seating is usually wide open at most times of the day.

I advise using the Disney Aulani app to view the Daily Iwa which is their resort schedule of activities & character pop-ups. Characters are still only meeting/waving from a distance. Usually there's Mickey/Minnie ear making, tshirt stamping, ukulele lessons, Rainbow Reef fish feeding & star gazing thru the week. I've never done any of these but I've read that reservations are required, so if you're interested, you might want to call & find out how far in advance you can book it.

With covid, grocery stores like Foodland are offering delivery since you won't have a car. I'm unsure if Target Kapolei offers delivery like other mainland Target locations. Having snacks & drinks in your room will save a lot of money. You can bring soft sided coolers to the pool with your own drinks but hard sided coolers can only be used on the beach.

Unfortunately, refillable drink cups are currently not available & I'm unsure if/when it will come back. Refillable popcorn buckets are available at Ulu Cafe.
Also the gym & Aunty's Beach House (kids club) is currently closed. I'd keep checking to see if more things open up closer to your trip.

Question: is there a way to add on gifts and such to be in the room upon arrival? I know (pre covid) when we go to WDW I always buy welcome baskets and they’re usually in the rooms when we arrive. Does Aulani have that option?

... oops! Hehe, I didn't know that rule either... We were there in September. Brought a little soft sided cooler to pool every day for 8 days. Never got a strange look or anything from a CM. Maybe you only get called out on it if disruptive ... Good to know

I've asked CMs & been told soft sided coolers on the pool deck are ok as long as they don't block walkways, so they can't be huge. Hard sided coolers tend to be large & cumbersome & block walkways causing safety issues. No glass on the pool deck. We were allowed to bring large hard sided coolers to the beach/lagoons & to our pool cabana & AmaAma Executive Lanai. We did have our own alcohol on the Lanai & CMs didn't say anything about it. They were in bottle sleeves so maybe she didn't see it?

I’ve been here for five days now and have seen numerous wagons, coolers (all small or soft sided), and various brands of drinks that are not served at Aulani to the best of my knowledge (bottles of Stella, Truly, etc.) yesterday, the people in front of us kept pulling alcohol out of a cooler they had in their wagon and I had a good chuckle over the trifecta of Disney pool deck sin lol 😂

I’ve been here for five days now and have seen numerous wagons, coolers (all small or soft sided), and various brands of drinks that are not served at Aulani to the best of my knowledge (bottles of Stella, Truly, etc.) yesterday, the people in front of us kept pulling alcohol out of a cooler they had in their wagon and I had a good chuckle over the trifecta of Disney pool deck sin lol 😂

We were there Saturday-Monday! I did see many wagons being brought down to the pool deck but if CMs weren't busting people, I guess it was ok?! We tried our best to stay away from people because it was super crowded, ugh. Wish we could've had a socially distanced Disboards "hello".

We were there Saturday-Monday! I did see many wagons being brought down to the pool deck but if CMs weren't busting people, I guess it was ok?! We tried our best to stay away from people because it was super crowded, ugh. Wish we could've had a socially distanced Disboards "hello".
A Disboard meet would have been super fun! There’s always next time 😊 it’s still crowded today and WINDY!

Places to eat within "walking" distance (I use quotes because we're not walking people, so we've driven & we're locals so we have our cars at Aulani when we stay), Longhi's at the Marriott (best for breakfast or seafood dinner, don't order steak),
@FoodieFriend -- I am not a walking person at all. So driving to Longhi's is an option? Looks like a place we'd like to go :) Thanks for all the suggestions! I am making a list :)

@FoodieFriend -- I am not a walking person at all. So driving to Longhi's is an option? Looks like a place we'd like to go :) Thanks for all the suggestions! I am making a list :)

We stay at the Marriott. It's about .6 mile walk from Aulani along the beach. There is parking at the Marriott but I'm not sure how far the guest parking is from Longhi's. I would probably call the restaurant to see where parking is and how far it is from Longhi's. The Longhi's number is 808-671-8887.

When you go through the lobby from the parking, walk past the stair to the elevator if you don't want to take the stairs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter