First time at Animal Kingdom since open at night...

staceyj2

DIS Veteran
May will be our first visit to AK since they began having night hours. I have a breakfast reservation for ROL dining, 1st show. How early do we need to be there for ROL? Is it like Fantasmic where you still have to line up super early even though you have a reserved section?

Also, I know we should try to FP+ for Flight of Passage. Are there any strategies we should try to get the most out of our time? Do we rope drop Navi or something else? It's been over 3 years since my last trip and things have changed so much. I'm having trouble figuring out the best strategies. Thanks in advance!

I've seen ROL 3-4 times and at no time was it a "line up before opening" sort of deal. It opened plenty early for casual stroll to find seat and wait for it to start. I've also walked in with dinner from Flame Tree (they wrapped in foil on request so I could easily carry). I did not find it ever frenetic or over hyped.

But, back to your questions on planning. There are 2 must-do night items at AK. EE in the dark is different than in the daytime, even it you have to split up in the single rider line or even if you have to leave ROL a few minutes early to get in line at EE before park closing...I would do it. Also, seeing Pandora, you don't need to ride anything at night as both rides are indoors so unchanged whether riding during day or night.

I think FOP is worth doing at RD (which currently means arriving 1 hour before park opening, whether EMH or not) and then later with a FP. I've had no trouble scoring an FOP FP the night before I visit or the morning of my visit (when the highest volume of modifying is occuring). I've many times been modifying my FOP FP time while in line for FOP before official opening time...if you catch my drift.

With your reservations to ROL - 20-30 minutes should work. We have gone as early as 45, and as late as 10. Obviously better seating when we went super early. We were ready for a rest and decided to rest in our viewing area.

If you are able to get a FP to FOP, then do Navi at rope drop. Everyone is going to FOP, so that will be a walk on. You could then go directly to Safari, which will also basically be a walk on. Probably need to go 60+3 at a minimum to get the FOP FP (boy - lots of F & P in this post). Gets much tougher if it is any sooner. Same with Slinky Dog, but it may be even tougher.

Another good strategy for FoP is to go close to park closing. The closer to park closing it gets, the more exaggerated the posted standby wait times are.
Also, refreshing the MDX app can work wonders sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. I've gotten FoP as a 4th FP+ many many times, sometimes with little effort.

The projection show at the Tree of Life in the evenings is not to be missed. Absolutely wonderful. Quite possibly my favorite thing in all of AK. Plan to spend about 25 minutes there and you'll see 2-3 vignettes, plus there are always little things happening here and there just to keep your attention. (Note that the show is also projected on the back side of the tree, but it's definitely higher quality on the front side.)

The projection show at the Tree of Life in the evenings is not to be missed. Absolutely wonderful. Quite possibly my favorite thing in all of AK. Plan to spend about 25 minutes there and you'll see 2-3 vignettes, plus there are always little things happening here and there just to keep your attention. (Note that the show is also projected on the back side of the tree, but it's definitely higher quality on the front side.)

If I can add to this, besides focusing on Pandora, see the Tree of Life as above, but also...spend some time looking at all the beautiful lighting AK has around the parks!

They have so many beautiful lamps, lanterns, etc. around the paths and such that come to life after dark. Bright, vivid colors, unique designs, love them!
We spent one night just wandering around and taking pictures of all the lighting, but sadly the colors didn't show very well in our photos.

Thanks so much for all the tips and advice. I’m a planner and did not like not knowing the best way to get the most out of our day at AK! Now I have to figure out the same about HS. I don’t think MK or EP have changed much so hopefully I’m good with those. Thanks again.

Another good strategy for FoP is to go close to park closing. The closer to park closing it gets, the more exaggerated the posted standby wait times are.
Also, refreshing the MDX app can work wonders sometimes. Not always, but sometimes. I've gotten FoP as a 4th FP+ many many times, sometimes with little effort.
Good to know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter