First solo trip (I guess this is now a trip report)

Charade67

DIS Veteran
I’m having trouble sleeping tonight, so I thought I would start a post.

Here I am, 53 years old, and this is my first ever solo vacation. I have a husband and daughter, but he is a college professor and she is a college student, so both will be in school at the time of my trip.

The spark of an idea began in December when I got a nice Christmas bonus. I started thinking of what to do with it and I decided a Universal trip would be fun. I decided on a long weekend from October 1-4.

The first thing I did was to purchase my flight. I hate to fly, but I live too far to drive. I purchased my flight in January. I am so glad I did because ticket prices have more than doubled since then.

Next purchase was the AP. I was originally planning just to get a 2 day, 2 park ticket, but I discovered that the AP was the exact same price as the 2 day ticket. This was a no brainer for me. I may only use the AP once, but then again……. I was going to wait until closer to my trip to make the purchase, but learned that if I purchased before March 31 (I think) the AP would be extended an additional 3 months. The price increased a few days after I made that purchase.

Next I anxiously awaited the release of the hotel AP rates. (I really wish I had known and understood about AP rates when my family spent a week at Universal back in 2017.) I decided on Sapphire Falls and was able to get a room with a lagoon view.

I spent the last few weeks arranging transportation from the airport to the hotel and making dinner reservations. I am planning to meet up with some of the people I have met on this board. I am really looking forward to that.

I think I have done all the planning I can do for now, so now I (somewhat impatiently) wait.

Yay! Solo trips are the best. I enjoyed my 2 times at SF, and looking forward to staying there again this Fall too.

checking in, can’t wait to hear your plans! have never done a solo trip, I am impressed & taking notes.

disappointed we will be leaving our resort before noon the day you arrive :worried:

Bit late, but looking forward to reading your plans for this trip......

I am looking forward to it too Mac.
We have no big plans for our anniversary this year. I think our house renovations are going to be our gifts to each other.

Don’t forget to flash your AP any time you buy anything. It always takes me a few purchases before I remember.

Don’t forget to flash your AP any time you buy anything. It always takes me a few purchases before I remember.
Thanks for the reminder. This is only the second AP I have had. The other is for Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and it was closed half of last year.

I’m having trouble sleeping tonight, so I thought I would start a post.

Here I am, 53 years old, and this is my first ever solo vacation. I have a husband and daughter, but he is a college professor and she is a college student, so both will be in school at the time of my trip.

The spark of an idea began in December when I got a nice Christmas bonus. I started thinking of what to do with it and I decided a Universal trip would be fun. I decided on a long weekend from October 1-4.

The first thing I did was to purchase my flight. I hate to fly, but I live too far to drive. I purchased my flight in January. I am so glad I did because ticket prices have more than doubled since then.

Next purchase was the AP. I was originally planning just to get a 2 day, 2 park ticket, but I discovered that the AP was the exact same price as the 2 day ticket. This was a no brainer for me. I may only use the AP once, but then again……. I was going to wait until closer to my trip to make the purchase, but learned that if I purchased before March 31 (I think) the AP would be extended an additional 3 months. The price increased a few days after I made that purchase.

Next I anxiously awaited the release of the hotel AP rates. (I really wish I had known and understood about AP rates when my family spent a week at Universal back in 2017.) I decided on Sapphire Falls and was able to get a room with a lagoon view.

I spent the last few weeks arranging transportation from the airport to the hotel and making dinner reservations. I am planning to meet up with some of the people I have met on this board. I am really looking forward to that.

I think I have done all the planning I can do for now, so now I (somewhat impatiently) wait.

Make sure to visit the AP lounge across from Bourne Supremacy.

Make sure to watch Bourne Supremacy early in your trip in case you want to watch it five more times.

If you purchased with an American Express card you can also use the American Express AP lounge across from Shrek.

don't forget to show your AP card to get the discount when eating at a Universal or City Walk restaurant.

Pick up your Landry's Select Card at Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory.

Make sure to visit the AP lounge across from Bourne Supremacy.

Make sure to watch Bourne Supremacy early in your trip in case you want to watch it five more times.

If you purchased with an American Express card you can also use the American Express AP lounge across from Shrek.

don't forget to show your AP card to get the discount when eating at a Universal or City Walk restaurant.

Pick up your Landry's Select Card at Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory.
Thanks for the advice. I can do all of those except the American Express one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter