First Night Honeymoon Dinner

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by codylamb18, Apr 20, 2017 at 8:25 PM.

1. codylamb18

codylamb18 traveling koala

We will be going to Walt Disney World for our honeymoon this August and we are trying to figure out dinning, activities, etc. We want our arrival night to be a somewhat nice restaurant and after do a carriage ride. Currently we have a reservation at boatwrights in port orleans then at 8:30pm is our carriage ride around the the port orleans resort. I have been reading some reviews and some are not the greatest. We wanted boatwrights because it is near the carriage ride. Any recommendations? Please keep transportation in mind too. No car just disney transportation. Price isnt a huge deal. Maybe we are overthinking it and it is a huge plus that boatwrights is very close to the carriage ride. Just want some opinions.

2. Marthasor

Marthasor DIS Veteran

You could eat somewhere in Disney Springs and then take the boat to POR for the carriage ride. We like the Boathouse. Paddlefish sounds good, too, but we haven't eaten there yet so don't have first hand info. You could also really eat anywhere on property and just uber to POR for the carriage ride. It looks like you are staying at AKL, perhaps eat at Jiko's or Sanaa and then uber to POR?

3. JZCubed

JZCubed DIS Veteran

codylamb18 likes this.
  4. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. codylamb18

I wasn't aware there was a boat to port orleans from disney springs. That makes the night even more fun! We are staying at AKL but are eating at Boma one night so I don't want to take away from that experience. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. The only issue I had was if it was honeymoon quality. This will be our "date" night and want the right place to have a seamless night. I've heard Pete say on the podcast that it is one of his most hated places at Disney sooooooo.....

6. Harambe

Harambe I miss Tapestry of Dreams!

Just my two cents, but if money is no issue, I'd change out Boma (very nice buffet) to Jiko at AKL. The food is fantastic at Jiko, the setting is lovely, and much quieter than Boma.

But as far as your original question, since the carriage ride seems to be the big attraction, I'd say your dinner right there at Boatswright should be fine!

codylamb18 likes this.
  7. codylamb18

We are not very adventurous eaters so I don't want to be tied to one thing at Jiko that's why we picked Boma to try new things buffet style. Honestly wouldn't even know what to get at Jiko looking at the menu.

Harambe likes this.
  8. JZCubed

JZCubed DIS Veteran

With the possible exception of Kona, I'm not sure there is table service restaurant a Disney that does not receive mixed reviews.

Get enough Disney Bloggers (the ones that make a living from it) together, and you will discover many 'most hated' that others very much enjoy.

Signature restaurants have better consistency than most table service places, but these are not the places you've mentioned.

From my perspective, Signature restaurants are honeymoon quality.

Besides Victoria & Albert, my favorites are blueZoo & Capa - since none are part of Disney Dining, there are far fewer children and tables are typically further apart.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 9:45 AM
    codylamb18 likes this.
  9. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I do not want to offend, but you asked. I think you are not thinking it through enough, rather than overthinking it.

I think the carraige ride is a lovely idea, but you are trying to work a honeymoon dinner around it, and I wonder if after all of this, you will feel letdown.

Personally, as romantic as that ride sounds, I would make my first meal as a married couple revolve around my meal. Boatwrights is a perfectly fine restaurant and we go whenever we are staying at POFQ, but I would not schedule it for my first dinner on a honeymoon.

You are staying at AKL. I woudl either take advantage of that gorgeous resort and book Sanaa (the adults in my crew said this was their favorite!) or head out in a different direction. I think Narcoossee at the Grand is a perfect honeymoon dinner. Time it so you can step out onto the veranda and enjoy the fireworks together. It is a signature meal, and is relatively quiet in terms of Disney Restaurants.

If You have tickets for your arrival night, I woudl head to Epcot, book dinner at San Angel Inn (Holy Romantic) and then find a glass of champagne, secure a spot and enjoy Illuminations together. San ANgel Inn is a Mexican restaurant, and it is good. You are in the Pyramid, it is dark, the "sky" is lit up and it is just lovely. I think that strolling through the World Showcase in the evening is a relaxing way to start your trip.

If you want to stay with the carraige ride, and I have watched them in the eveing, horse hooves clip clopping the cobbled street, ( I loved it) I would think about dinner in Disney Springs. There are some really nice restaurants there. Take the water taxi back for your carraige ride, and a taxi back to your resort after.

10. steg

steg Mouseketeer

What about doing the carriage ride at Wilderness Lodge followed by dinner at California Grill with fireworks viewing?

Does anyone know if the Grand Floridian still does private/intimate dining out on the deck/veranda still? That could be another option if it's still offered.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017 at 8:03 AM
  11. Pumbaa_

Pumbaa_ >Hakuna Matata!< Moderator

Again, not wanting to burst your honeymoon bubble...

it's August
    It's like a bazillion degrees, hot and humid. Even in the evening. Unless I was staying at POR, I would not travel there for a carriage ride. It's a great moderate resort, but not worth a trip there, IMHO, for a carriage ride

Nor is Boatwright's a first night honeymoon worthy meal

It sounds lovely, but the reality is an average to mediocre place at best

If your heart is set on it, I hope you have a very lovely time :)

soniam, Hopefully, codylamb18 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I felt badly raining on the OP parade too, but as romantic as this sounds, the realit will probably be far different. WHen you add the possibility of a rainstorm the bubble really bursts.

Hopefully, codylamb18 and Pumbaa_ like this.
  13. JZCubed

JZCubed DIS Veteran

You have a bunch of folks who are really trying to assist with getting you more comfortable making plans for the first night of your honeymoon:

But are we understanding you correctly - you are staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge. And you are going to Boma for the buffet because you are concerned about your lack of being adventuresome eaters. OK. Can we start here?

Flying versus driving. Making plans on arrival day can be burdensome if arriving by plane - you have no control over a host of time hurdles. But, let's say everything runs like clockwork. It takes time to get to-and-from most any place within Disney World - it's a very big place. Few people responding to you are going to suggest traveling much within Disney on any given day. And if you are staying at AKLodge - you are using Disney buses, unless driving or taking taxis.

Once at Disney, there are many food options, but few are worth a hassle getting to. Many of us have favorite places, and then rotate in other nearby activities (i.e., fireworks, parades, shopping, a show) into our plans.

You want a carriage ride. It appears that this is available at Port Orleans.

Getting from AKLodge to Port Orleans is car/taxi, or two forms of transportation at Disney - because you cannot go directly from resort-to-resort.

The carriage ride. It will be hot in August and there is always a chance of rain in summer. It still sounds lovely.

From Port Orleans you can get to any Park like everyone else, or you can car/taxi wherever you want to eat. No need to eat at Boatwright's - you have two more stops to get back to AKLodge - you can dine most anywhere and be no more nor less hassled - since you've decided a carriage ride should be the start of your honeymoon.

My two final cents:
    -- Think about traipsing about and taking a carriage ride in August in your fancy dinner clothes before dinner,
    -- "From Room Service," is my typical answer for - where to consume food on your honeymoon.

codylamb18, Harambe and Pumbaa_ like this.
  14. 4HOLIDAYS

4HOLIDAYS DIS Veteran

I would be thinking Cali grill for food, atmosphere and the FW , Narcoossee at GF and view FW. We have done these restaurants and Boatwrights is fine, we have had some good food and service and some soso food and service. I just think that there are nicer places in atmosphere and such.

codylamb18 and Pumbaa_ like this.
  15. codylamb18

Thank you all SO much for the responses. We are park open to park close kind of people so our first night is really the only night we wanted to get dressed up and enjoy being married at Disney. Just trying to make it romantic as we can get it without to much hassle getting around. We will not have park tickets that day so no in park restaurants as someone suggested.

The carriage ride idea came about when we were registering for our wedding on the Disney Honeymoon Wishes website. This was a option to register for and someone has bought this. The only two options was port orleans or fort wilderness. FW seemed more of a wild west kind of carriage ride and PO seemed more romantic. I never really thought of the heat. Anyone know if these are refundable once booked?

16. TOBS2010

TOBS2010 Mouseketeer

I would agree with many other posters that Boatwrights is not the most romantic from an intimate setting. We ate there on our last trip while staying at POR. That said---we thought the food was delicious. It started off as a change of plans due to a big rainstorm and being on the property we were staying at seemed like a good fit. But we were pleasantly surprised. My husband had the ribs (very picky about them) and loved them. I still remember the prime rib I ordered was awesome too. Not the best ambiance in the world compared to other places--but it isn't awful either. I would say do what you want to do. It's just your first night of your vacation--the carriage ride might be something you do and never do again. Enjoy it, because why not? Life is short.

codylamb18 likes this.
  17. Amelia :)

Amelia :) Mouseketeer

The carriage ride sounds nice, but it's really just a way of exploring port Orleans (to me anyway), you are paying all that money to stay deluxe, why then go and explore a moderate? I'd personally rather just spend more time enjoying AKL, especially as there's so much to see and do, and awesome places to eat. we are going to try Jiko in November, and Sanaa is amazing.

codylamb18 likes this.
  18. FigmentFinder

FigmentFinder DIS Veteran

Nobody has recommended room service yet? :ssst:

If you want to go on the carriage ride, I would keep the convenient restaurant. It won't make your night more romantic to be driving or using disney transportation to get from resort to resort.

MagicalMawMaw and codylamb18 like this.
  19. aristocatz

aristocatz DIS Veteran

Dinner at Artist's Point at WL & then take the boat to Fort Wilderness. I believe they have carriage rides & its a fun resort to explore. Artist's Point is romantic & delicious. Hope you have a wonderful honeymoon :)

tarheelmjfan and codylamb18 like this.
  20. Elle23

Elle23 Mouseketeer

I think someone else did, but that was my first thought too.

OP....weddings are exhausting. I personally would plan on something at your hotel or room service. It is going to be a very long day and you will likely be tired and not up to traipsing all over Disney property.

Just my opinion (and recalling how tired we were....) A night alone in our hotel room with room service was very romantic. :flower:

codylamb18 likes this.
  21. codylamb18

Our wedding day is August 26th and arriving in WDW around 3pm on August 27th. We are leaning towards dinner at AKL we just didn't really seem excited about the menus.