First full week of December crowds

tehSAC

Mouseketeer
Locals and past visitors during this time of year, how are the crowds usually? I understand that with WDW having 50th celebrations starting in October, what do you estimate the crowds to look like?

Curious for a couple of reasons. One, should I work an extra shift to pay for Genie+ LOL, and just basic curiosity. Part of me says they wont be as large crowds based on thanksgiving and Christmas crowds, which basically sandwich our on site dates.

It's a good sweet spot between holidays - and you'll notice the block out dates for AP's don't cover here, so it's always a lower week than the rest of the month. I've been during that week for the past few years besides 2020, and it was nice.

We go first week of December often and it's a great time. No the parks aren't empty or even slow, but they are manageable plus the weather is usually quite pleasant. Plus Christmas decor!

This timeframe has been our go-to time to visit WDW. 2013/2017/2020, crowds have always been mild, never felt that the parks were super crowded. Of course we purposely avoid going when heavy crowds are the norm so we personally can't compare to what it's like during other times. But based on everything I've researched for years, our three prior trips during this time has never disappointed when it came to crowds.

In the past, this has been a good week. Not a great week, as far as crowds go, but better than summer.

That said, this year will be far different. The 50th is bringing in a lot more Disney guests than usual. Add to that people have government stimulus in their pockets and places to go, and you'll see even more people.

Here's more evidence of big crowds: We're booked for that time period this December. A room that used to cost in the low-to-mid $200s was $320/night (moderate). And it was the only moderate rooms available. In fact, most of the deluxe resorts had zero availability, and their prices were enormously high. I just checked out pre-booked DVC resorts. Their prices were insane! People are willing to pay whatever it takes to get to Disney World this Christmas season. So....I would say expect big crowds. I am.

Good weather, moderate crowds, and holiday decorations.

I took my at the time pregnant wife and at the time 1 year old in 2018 for my wife's birthday (December 1st) and we had a great time!!

It was busy but nothing crazy.

Thanksgiving crowds gone. Christmas crowds not starting yet. Weather is generally mild. Holiday decorations are up. DVC's lower points-per-night. Probably our favorite time of year to visit.

DH and I have gone at this timeframe in the past and are going again this year. Weather was great! Crowds were in lower side as people are gearing up for holidays (shopping and decorating). We enjoyed the parks being decked in holiday glow, CMs seemed happier and the Epcot cookie walk was fun. Make sure you check the park guides for all the special experiences happening at each park!

In the past, this has been a good week. Not a great week, as far as crowds go, but better than summer.

That said, this year will be far different. The 50th is bringing in a lot more Disney guests than usual. Add to that people have government stimulus in their pockets and places to go, and you'll see even more people.

Here's more evidence of big crowds: We're booked for that time period this December. A room that used to cost in the low-to-mid $200s was $320/night (moderate). And it was the only moderate rooms available. In fact, most of the deluxe resorts had zero availability, and their prices were enormously high. I just checked out pre-booked DVC resorts. Their prices were insane! People are willing to pay whatever it takes to get to Disney World this Christmas season. So....I would say expect big crowds. I am.

Well lets hope for the best of us you are wrong.

I havent been a full week during the 1st week of Dec, but have been several days and its super low crowded. Ive been many times TDay week and the days prior to Thursday and starting the Sunday after are very low crowded. Thur/Fri/Sat are extremely high!

Well lets hope for the best of us you are wrong.
I just came back 2 weeks ago. Parks were dead. Everyone has to keep in mind Europeans, who typically come Sep/Oct/Nov, are not coming. Many locals jumped ship with APs at the start of the pandemic when offered a refund for their passes. They were not allowed to buy new ones. Only the ones who hung on with monthly payments suspended currently have a pass. Starting next week, locals can buy again, but also keep in mind FL has been at the top of the Covid Cases list since the start of the pandemic and many FL jobs rely on tourism, which was non existent, and not everyone has the $$$ to buy new ones right now. Even around the country gas/grocery/airfare prices are up significantly while employers are not handing out bonuses/annual pay increases. My guess is crowds will continue to be lower than normal until next summer and only if Covid is a thing of the past by then.

As for hotel rooms being booked, keep in mind MANY WDW resorts are under construction or not even reopened yet. As time gets closer, they will release more rooms if construction is done and park capacity can increase. And the price increase is a Disney thing, not an indicator of rooms being booked.

Last edited:
We have been that week twice.. 2016 and 2019.. we love it.. like others have mentioned it’s in between big holidays.. it’s full on Christmas at the parks.. the Christmas party is an option … crowds are very manageable.. weather is perfect

We have gone the first week of December for several years, and we think that it has become more crowded each year. However, it should not be nearly as crowded as holiday weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas, and you will still get the full holiday experience. It is interesting that resort discounts don't include the first week of Dec. but rather start the following week, I believe. Also, Pop Warner cheering competition will be in Orlando 12/4-11 (unless dates have changed.) While it will now be based at Universal instead of WDW, some attendees will probably visit WDW during their stay.

There might be an increase in overseas tourists ( UK/Europe) as there is talk of the Presidential proclamation lifting the effective ban on travel to the US for UK/EU citizents if vaccinated from sometime in November ( date to be confirmed) . Planning to come myself. ( However disney resorts are limited availability and expensive and am putting off booking until things are more certain) but probably less crowded than at peak times.

We have been going the beginning of December for over twenty years. We did notice a slightly larger crowd in 2018 but it was still very manageable. We are arriving early December for 12 nights this year and have no worries. Plan ahead and you will walk by the groups of people standing at the entrance deciding where to go first.. you will also walk past the groups of people who are fighting with the hostess because they can't eat in Cinderellas Castle. The weather is beautiful and the Christmas decorations are gorgeous. I do know several people who have decided to scratch this years trip. They are worried about the economy, job security, and covid. Many have kids who did remote learning for too long and are behind and they are not willing to let them miss school. Yes, oversea travel is starting to open up but many people are going to wait until they can get some reassurance that the borders will stay open. We are going regardless of crowds however I'm going to take a guess and say attendance will not be normal. I'm basing my "guess" on friends and family who have decided this is not the time to go and our AAA agent(we've used her for over 15 years)who said bookings are down for the remainder of this year. She is starting to see a pickup in reservations for early spring. Regardless if I'm right or wrong(which I've been known to be) go and enjoy your vacation. It is really a great time to visit.

We have gone the first week of December for several years, and we think that it has become more crowded each year. However, it should not be nearly as crowded as holiday weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas, and you will still get the full holiday experience. It is interesting that resort discounts don't include the first week of Dec. but rather start the following week, I believe. Also, Pop Warner cheering competition will be in Orlando 12/4-11 (unless dates have changed.) While it will now be based at Universal instead of WDW, some attendees will probably visit WDW during their stay.
I'm sure the loyal Disney fans will visit during Pop Warner however I do believe a lot will stay in the Universal bubble. Ticket prices are going to scare a few away.

I’ve been that week twice pre-Covid and crowds were average, IMO. I don’t think it was a light crowd in Dec 2019, for example. Right now, I think it is difficult to predict what this Dec will be like. I love the decorations and weather, so it’s a time of year I recommend.

I’m personally predicting it will be quieter this year. I don’t think the international crowd will be back yet and folks are more hesitant to take their kids out of school and the risks of Covid are still high. While I think Christmas crowds will be high, I’m guessing April 2022 before we really start to see high crowds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter