first family trip, need your opinions

Tinker101

Earning My Ears
We are looking into our first family trip with my kids in October 2013. The kids will be 2 and 4, both of which celebrating birthdays in a few weeks close to our trip...so almost 3 and 5. My parents are also coming along for the kids first trip. We have always stayed in the park before having kids and intended on doing the same this trip. My parents are set on staying outside the park because they like having a rental car and are saying it will be easier for us to get to the Harry Potter park at Universal.

I looked into Bonnet Creek and the price sounds amazing, 9 or 10 days would cost us about 1K. Then I looked into AoA for all 6 of us to stay in the same room and that trip is going to cost over 10K for everything included, flights, room, food, etc.

Are there other options, as far as value resorts go that can accommodate 4 adults and two kids? We want to share a room.

How would we get to the Harry Potter park if we didn't have a rental car, is there a shuttle there?
How would I go about seeing if there is a room discount or meal plan discount for that month we are going?

Can we bring a rental stroller on the shuttle to get to the parks? I'm assuming it would have to fold up to be brought on?

Thank you for your responses, I want to book the room soon.

We are looking into our first family trip with my kids in October 2013. The kids will be 2 and 4, both of which celebrating birthdays in a few weeks close to our trip...so almost 3 and 5. My parents are also coming along for the kids first trip. We have always stayed in the park before having kids and intended on doing the same this trip. My parents are set on staying outside the park because they like having a rental car and are saying it will be easier for us to get to the Harry Potter park at Universal.

I looked into Bonnet Creek and the price sounds amazing, 9 or 10 days would cost us about 1K. Then I looked into AoA for all 6 of us to stay in the same room and that trip is going to cost over 10K for everything included, flights, room, food, etc.

Are there other options, as far as value resorts go that can accommodate 4 adults and two kids? We want to share a room.

How would we get to the Harry Potter park if we didn't have a rental car, is there a shuttle there?
How would I go about seeing if there is a room discount or meal plan discount for that month we are going?

Can we bring a rental stroller on the shuttle to get to the parks? I'm assuming it would have to fold up to be brought on?

Thank you for your responses, I want to book the room soon.

No other options for that large of a family in the value area - just the family suites. You could get 2 standard rooms and that would be a tad cheaper, but not much, and you obviously wouldn't all be in the same room. There are a few moderate options that allow for 5 people in 1 room which you could do since you have an 'invisible' 2 year old... but it would be a bit cramped with 6 actual bodies.

You can hire a shuttle through Mears to get to the Harry Potter park, but there is a fee. You can also rent a vehicle if you're staying on property... parking is free when you're on prop.

There is nothing out for October 2013, and won't be probably until July or so discount wise. You can check the special offers page on the WDW website for current offers, and the Dis always on top of any deals they hear about.

You can fold up a stroller and bring it onto the bus and shuttle to the parks if you don't want to drive yourself.

Keep in mind that staying off property you won't be eligible for a meal plan, free parking, or EMH if those things are important to you.

You could also look into renting DVC points and getting a villa - it can often be much cheaper.

Thank you so much for your response.
How would I find more about DVC points? I have no idea what that is. Is that staying on property?
I feel staying in the park and not having a rental car would be way easier. Ideally, I'd love to not have to bring or rent car seats for the plane or rental. Just hopping on a shuttle and getting to the parks.

there is a rental board - here the link - read all the stickies before you decide anything
http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

you would need at least a 1-bedroom - but in your case would go for a 2-bedroom. the 1-bedroom could only be OKW, BLT or AKV.

if you really want to stay in the same room/value - it is going to be expensive

the POR has the trundle bed - but think the max for it is 5 period.

you could look at FW cabins -
it has a bedroom - with full bed and bunk beds
in the living area it has a murphy bed - for your parents
1 bathroom
it has a kitchen - so you don't really need the dinning plan (unless it is free)

a 1-bedroom villa has king bed in the master, queen sleeper sofa in the living room and the one I mention has chair bed.

OKW has one bathroom and
BLT and AKV has 2 bathrooms in the 1-bedroom

is this everyone first trip to Disney - if it is would not recommend going to US/IOA - wait until your kids are older.

there are a few rides the kids could do - but most of the stuff they would want to do - is just too big for them

If you are interested in renting points, I would check out David's DVC Rental. He is a reputable point renting company. His website will give you an idea of the point cost of villas at the time of your stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!