First DVC purchase: is it better to do one big block of points or to separate?

VGC only has 60 or so DVC units and all of them aren't available to the DVC. Disney has just come up with a option to open up other rooms to DVC Members but I don't have the info.

The smaller the resort the more difficult to book at 7 months.

:earsboy: Bill

Hakepb: Mahalo nui loa! I appreciate everyone’s sage advice. It’s kind of a scary decision and it’s great we have a place to ask questions and work out scenarios. PS. This is my favorite thread so far too, ok, its my first, so will always have a special place in my heart! :goodvibes

K3chantal, thank you for your response. What great experiences and awesome memories you’ve made for your ohana (family)! It is my (very limited) understanding (so please correct me if I’m wrong, because I don’t want to get this wrong) that if we buy resale, we can book our home resort 11 months out and other DVC resorts 7 months out (and vice versa for other members at their home resorts). We no longer can use resale points to book Disney cruises, adventure packages, non- DVC resorts; so basically only DVC resorts. However, the exchange rate in points for the Disney cruises, adventure packages and non DVC resorts (with direct buy points from Disney) are not a good deal and much higher than a cash reservation, therefore it would be better to rent out our points and use the cash from the rental to book these types of trips.

Question for anyone: So if we end up with a week in a 2bdrm every year. Bank every other year for a two week stay. Rent out one of those weeks and use the cash (plus possible additional funds) towards a Disney cruise. We would then be able to stay one week prior to the cruise at WDW for a week on points and then cruise for a week on the rental cash (plus any add funds). ???

Disneynutz, ok, good to know. DH says if all else fails we could head over to Aulani instead and since it’s just a hop and a skip away we could go whenever there’s an availability even if it means breaking it up into smaller blocks of days.

Question for anyone: So if we end up with a week in a 2bdrm every year. Bank every other year for a two week stay. Rent out one of those weeks and use the cash (plus possible additional funds) towards a Disney cruise. We would then be able to stay one week prior to the cruise at WDW for a week on points and then cruise for a week on the rental cash (plus any add funds). ???
If you have extra points, renting them is a good option no matter the reason and plans for the income. However, buying extra points you don't need and knowing you'll need to rent them is not a good idea as a routine going forward though can be for extra points you get on purchase for a one time rental. I would strongly recommend against buying extra points with the intent of renting them out. You'll be far better off just saving the money and the extra maint fees you didn't have to pay toward cruises and the like.

We're a big fan of purchasing smaller contracts... for a few reasons... but mostly for the ability to have 11mo booking at multiple resorts.

We toured (on our own, not through DVC) most of the Disney World DVC resorts prior to purchasing. We took a couple of afternoons of a trip and went to each resort, walked around and had dinner. We eliminated a few just by doing that (and eliminated one before we even arrived). Our favorite by far was OKW so we bought our first contract and put the rest on a short list for when we were ready to add-on. We spent the next few trips doing some split stays to get a better read on the resorts that ended up on our short list. BLT, BCV, BWV, were our choices, in that order. Nothing really excited us until we stayed at BWV... Location, two booking categories, location, great food options, and location.

We're a big fan of purchasing smaller contracts... for a few reasons... but mostly for the ability to have 11mo booking at multiple resorts.

We toured (on our own, not through DVC) most of the Disney World DVC resorts prior to purchasing. We took a couple of afternoons of a trip and went to each resort, walked around and had dinner. We eliminated a few just by doing that (and eliminated one before we even arrived). Our favorite by far was OKW so we bought our first contract and put the rest on a short list for when we were ready to add-on. We spent the next few trips doing some split stays to get a better read on the resorts that ended up on our short list. BLT, BCV, BWV, were our choices, in that order. Nothing really excited us until we stayed at BWV... Location, two booking categories, location, great food options, and location.

One thing you forgot to mention is that the location of BWV is incredible! :)

Sorry, still don't know how to multi-quote:

Mahalo everyone for your input. We’ve decided to go with two smaller contracts at the same home resort for the following reasons (just in case anyone else is considering the same question and wanted to know our thought process) 1. we are guaranteed enough points for a one week stay each year or two week stays if we bank/borrow 2. Smaller contracts are easier to sell off if we find we need to later on 3. We can deed to more than one child if they want them later. We may eventually get a few smaller contracts at other home resorts for more 11 month booking options but that will be down the road. Way way down the road.

Our next consideration in this process will be: which home resort? Then UY (thinking September for Sept/Oct/Jan/Feb travels)? Then I’ll go back through the threads and figure out the next three items we need to consider before purchasing.

Dean: “no worries” (as they say in the islands), we totally agree, we would only get enough points for our needs and definitely not with the thought of regularly renting them out. The other poster and I were talking about the advantageous/disadvantageous of direct vs resale and booking things like cruises with points or renting out points and using cash to book.

Gray52: Mahalo! I agree, location is very important.

ElmC: LOL!

It is my (very limited) understanding (so please correct me if I’m wrong, because I don’t want to get this wrong) that if we buy resale, we can book our home resort 11 months out and other DVC resorts 7 months out (and vice versa for other members at their home resorts). We no longer can use resale points to book Disney cruises, adventure packages, non- DVC resorts; so basically only DVC resorts. However, the exchange rate in points for the Disney cruises, adventure packages and non DVC resorts (with direct buy points from Disney) are not a good deal and much higher than a cash reservation, therefore it would be better to rent out our points and use the cash from the rental to book these types of trips.

You have a good grasp on DVC for someone with so few posts. Just my opinion... but... I would call your explanation "everything you (really) need to know about the limitations of resale in as few words as possible."

Your points 1, 2 & 3 on why to buy smaller contracts are sound.

If the majority of your travels will be Sept - Feb, then Sept is a good UY. August would work as well.

Sometimes on these boards it's tough to sort out opinions from facts... seems you're doing a fine job of doing that.

Dean: “no worries” (as they say in the islands), we totally agree, we would only get enough points for our needs and definitely not with the thought of regularly renting them out. The other poster and I were talking about the advantageous/disadvantageous of direct vs resale and booking things like cruises with points or renting out points and using cash to book.
I'm fairly familiar with the Hawaiian sayings having done my residency at Tripler for 3 years plus routine trips back since. However, I think the most common one I heard was "Hey Haole".

You have a good grasp on DVC for someone with so few posts. Just my opinion... but... I would call your explanation "everything you (really) need to know about the limitations of resale in as few words as possible."

Your points 1, 2 & 3 on why to buy smaller contracts are sound.

If the majority of your travels will be Sept - Feb, then Sept is a good UY. August would work as well.

Sometimes on these boards it's tough to sort out opinions from facts... seems you're doing a fine job of doing that.

Wow! Mahalo nui loa Gray52 :flower3: I’m just hoping I don’t sound stupid every time I put my fingers on the keyboard. If I appear to be making any sense then I would have to give the credit to you and ALL the other great posters here on the Disboards and provided links. I appreciate the consistent answers that have been given on all the threads that after enough reading makes the pieces of the puzzle fall into place and gives a clearer picture of the DVC world.

I'm fairly familiar with the Hawaiian sayings having done my residency at Tripler for 3 years plus routine trips back since. However, I think the most common one I heard was "Hey Haole".

LOL...well, I’m quite sure it was said with great affection :goodvibes

LOL...well, I’m quite sure it was said with great affection :goodvibes
Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I remember one incident where a friend was rear ended the Like Like headed Leeward. Even though he was not the one at fault, most were yelling at him as they passes.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. I remember one incident where a friend was rear ended the Like Like headed Leeward. Even though he was not the one at fault, most were yelling at him as they passes.

That's awful. Please accept my sincere apologies for my fellow locals' bad manners. Unfortunately there are thoughtless people everywhere, even here in paradise (though I would like to believe they are far and few...hopefully). :hug:

That's awful. Please accept my sincere apologies for my fellow locals' bad manners. Unfortunately there are thoughtless people everywhere, even here in paradise (though I would like to believe they are far and few...hopefully). :hug:
No need for you to apologize, there are ignorant people everywhere and to a degree, I understand. their anger. We did enjoy our time there though I had so little time to enjoy it given my work schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter