First DL visit on the day of MaxPass debut - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Swimmergirl, Jul 15, 2017 at 12:35 AM.

?

Would you use MaxPass on the day of introduction?

1. Absolutely! Pay that $10 and trust that it will be awesome

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No! Let's see how well it works first

11 vote(s)
    52.4%
  3. No, I just don't see the value in paying for it

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Swimmergirl

Swimmergirl DIS Veteran

My husband and I are going to DL next week to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We'll be kid free (whoo hoo!), so just the two of us. I'm kind of bummed that MaxPass will be starting on one of our two park days. I'd rather not be the guinea pig! We're seasoned travelers to WDW, so I understand their fastpass system. I was looking forward to using the "old" version of fastpass, and the introduction of MaxPass throws a kink in my plans. I think it would be handy not to have to walk to fastpass machines, and since it's just 2 of us the cost won't be much. But I'm concerned about Disney's tech history. I've heard DL Wifi isn't the best, and with more people relying on it to book fastpasses, I'm not sure how it will go. I would hate to spend the $10 only to have the system crash, or not work as expected, and basically add stress. Really wish the system would have either started later or have been up and running for a while before my trip to work out the kinks. So, what would you do??

2. Skyegirl1999

Skyegirl1999 1st pickle of the day!

I wouldn't bother. I'm doubtful it will have a tremendous impact on Day 1.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. sleepymouse

sleepymouse DIS Veteran

We will be there on Day 2 but for a total of 8 days in the parks. We have APs so will probably purchase it for $75 each. I know we will do at least one more trip so will cost us less than $5 each per day. I guess we will be the guinea pigs.

5. az4boys

az4boys Mouseketeer

We were just in the parks and I was amazed at how many people were not using the regular fast pass system that is completely free and available to everyone. I don't think Maxpass will have a significant impact on Day 1 at all. Unless you really don't want to walk for fast passes, I would just stick to your original plans.

6. Khokhonutt

Khokhonutt DIS Veteran

I personally wouldn't worry about it. We're WDW vets who visited the end of June and we also were looking forward to using the legacy FP system at DLR. Using the regular FP was great for us. Using the app and without a ton of walking, we got plenty done on our trip. My concerns with purchasing MP is very inline with your concerns. We had OK connectivity in the parks, but the connectivity alone would keep me from buying MP. Also, with it just being the two of you, I'd think the number of times you would send a FP runner would be limited, so my only dislike about the new FP system would be of little or no concern to you. That being the fact that you have to carry your tickets into the ride in order to validate your FP. Even with 4 of us, there was only one time when I could have run for FPs while others were on a ride, but I could not because they had their tickets. Assuming everything stays the same for FP, for users without MP, I would be highly unlikely to purchase it unless two things change. One, connectivity significantly improves and they secure their wifi in the parks (including in the ride queues). And two, if purchasing MP is the best deal for my group for getting a photo package (which I doubt at this point). My third consideration would be if they somehow cripple some FP features for regular FP users in order to enhance MP value. I'd like to think they would not do that, though.

7. Swimmergirl

Swimmergirl DIS Veteran

Thanks for the insight everyone. Right now I'm leaning toward not buying it. Weird that lots of people don't even use regular fastpass!

8. ADLFAN

ADLFAN DIS Veteran

Did I read correctly that WIFI is only available in certain areas within the parks?

9. Tarheel girl 1975

Tarheel girl 1975 Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

The wifi in the parks isn't very good, and that's probably being generous. I haven't been able to get consistent cell phone reception either so I'm not sure how well I would be able to use Maxpass.

Khokhonutt likes this.
  10. disneychrista

disneychrista DIS Veteran

There are several "hot spots" through out the park. The closer you are to these spots the better the WIFI will be. But if ATT internet in SoCal is as bad as it is in NorCal, it is not going to be very good, even standing next to the hot spot router.

11. maleficent55

maleficent55 Mouseketeer

The most you could lose is $20/day
    Go for it!

12. jfk4

jfk4 Earning My Ears

I have AT&T cellular service and I've rarely had connectivity problems in the parks (the few exceptions have generally occurred while waiting for one of the nightly shows to begin). I agree that the first day of MaxPass service is likely to be a little rough, but I imagine that you'd be able to get a refund from guest services if it is a complete failure. Personally I'd go for it. Now that immediate Fast Passes are being offered I think that not having to run across the park could be a substantial benefit. When I was there over the July 4 weekend I found a number of occasions where I wish I could have booked a Fast Pass from my phone; there were a couple of times where the wait times were small enough that I could have immediately entered by the time I walked from my current location to the attraction.

If you have time, please post your impressions; I'm curious to hear your experience if you purchased it and, if you didn't, whether you wish you had.

13. LoriLovesMickey

LoriLovesMickey Mouseketeer

I'm still wondering how to add tickets not purchased through Disney (LMTClub) to the App. Any one been able to do this?

14. mom2rtk

mom2rtk Bring Back MARIE!

I would wait and see if there's an update to the app.

15. cougarfan84

cougarfan84 Mouseketeer

I am just guessing, but I am wondering if that's one reason why you have to set it up after you enter the park. Once the ticket is activated maybe you can link it to your account. But right now the app isnt very clear on if that will be possible.

16. disneychrista

disneychrista DIS Veteran

This is my thought as well. They will release an app update with MAXPASS available. As far as I can see there is nothing about MAXPASS in the current app.

17. 3TinksAndAnEeyore

3TinksAndAnEeyore DIS Veteran

What did you end up doing? I'm very interested hearing about people's experiences!

18. Swimmergirl

Swimmergirl DIS Veteran

We decided to use MaxPass, and it was totally worth it! We were able to use 13 Fastpasses today, even with a 2 hour midday break!

19. jfk4

jfk4 Earning My Ears

Thanks for the update. I'm glad everything worked out for you.