First DCL cruise in nearly 23 years, lots of questions

jwblane

Mouseketeer
We will be heading out on our first cruise as a family (myself, wife, and 1 year old son) for Halloween out of San Diego on the Wonder. I have so many questions and the search function is letting me down. So, instead I will just run a few questions here.

1. Did I have a Castaway Club number from the cruise I was on in 1999 and how would I get it?
2. Does the baby need a passport, or will a birth certificate suffice? The only port we will stop at is Cabo San Lucas and we are planning on going ashore.
3. Reading the check in threads and there sure does seem to be a lot of things that go into it. We are taking my in-laws with us and I am wondering if it will just be easier to have them present with us when we check in online.
4. Knowing that tipping is per person per day, I am assuming that we will need to plan for tips from the little guy, right?
5. How many carry on bags are we allowed? We plan on pushing the baby onto the ship in a stroller, is it considered a carry on?
6. I have read that they will purée veggies in the dinning room, but what about other times of the cruise? Should we just plan on taking all his food with us?

I know we will have more questions so I will post those when they come up.

TIA

#1. You'll have to call DCL to get your number.
#3. You'll need photos of everyone's passports (or other appropriate documentation) and a headshot of everyone. Guidelines for the headshots are basically the same as for passport photos. You'll also need everyone's names, birthdays, emergency contact info, and other basic stuff like that.
#4. Yes. Your tips will be automatically calculated and added to your account and your son will count as a passenger. You can talk to Guest Services to increase or decrease the total amount, if you wish to.
#5. As many as you can carry! They have to fit through the security scanners, which are pretty much the same as the TSA scanners at airports. Keep in mind that you'll have to carry your stuff around until your room is ready, which is usually between 1pm and 3pm. Better to check some stuff if you don't need to carry it.

I can't help with #2 or #6. Sorry!

Have a great cruise!

I'm in the same situation and they couldn't find my castaway cay number when I called. Last time I sailed was early 2000s

#2 If you are US citizens on a cruise that leaves from and returns to the same US port, a birth certificate will suffice for the cruise. In the unlikely event you need to fly back from Mexico to the US, you would need to work with the US consulate to get an emergency passport for your son.

There is no limit to baggage just remember your room is not massive is all.

I am not sure about food but note that breakfast and dinner will have sit down daily. Lunch will have sit down for sea days. I might talk to your TA or call Disney and ask about that one. Do you know how much solid food you are able to get by with? Could you possibly bring a bullet blender with you possibly (not sure if allowed)? You said 1 so I know it can be hit or miss based on the child what they can or can not eat.

Here’s info from DCL. They do mention puréed foods. Getting it from Room Service should make it available 24 hours.

F9DE7D4C-35E9-4461-8ACD-EF7016E1783D.jpeg

Passport - if you have an emergency and need to fly home, you will need a passport. Even an infant. it is up to you to decide whether any potential hassle or delay during a time of upheaval is worth not taking the time to get a passport. (I did word that with a bias to getting that passport, it seems).

I have had to get a replacement passport in Guatemala due to theft. You need to get to a consulate, pay in local currency, get replacement photos. It is just unsettling. And if you need one for a medical emergency, that just compounds the anxiety.

I have taken my teen nieces on their first cruise with just birth certificates. It just feels like less hassle with a passport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter