First day of school...

Pin Wizard

<font color=deeppink>I now have a new favorite at
Yesterday was DS's first day back at school. He's in 4th grade this year (unbelievable!!) When I picked him up at the end of the day and asked how his day was, he replied..."I HATE school." :eek: First, he didn't get in the section we were both hoping for. I've heard great things about that teacher. Second, all his friends except 2 were changed to the other section. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: He's not a very happy camper. Wish we had a smaller school like when I was in elementary. We had the same 28 kids in our class from 1st through 8th. :( So, neither of us is very happy about it right now. But I try to be positive around him telling him that he can still play with his friends in after care...that's his play time. No kids his age in our neighborhood. And I tell him he'll make new friends in class. :(

I hope he finds some new friends in his new classroom and can enjoy school a little more tomorrow than he did today.

Thanks! I'm sure he will. We've been through this before when he went into 2nd grade. He had been in an "A" section 2 years and was switched to a "B". He knew one kid in that class. When I was talking to the guidance counselor about another matter and happened to mention this, she asked who his friends were. When I told her she said...they're all in the other section. Duh! You guys took him out of there! :rolleyes: I'm sure it's only a matter of time until he makes new friends. But I don't like seeing him so miserable. And try to explain to a 9 year old that "A" doesn't mean that class is smarter than the "B" class. They just have to have a way to distinguish 2 different 4th grade classes. Keep pumping his self-esteem!!

Sorry for your son that he's in a class without many friends. I do really hope for his sake that he starts enjoying it more.

I don't think that's a very wise move on the school's part to label the classes as A and B because it does seem to refer to "A side" and "B side" like in sports. When I was in elementary school our classes were lettered by the teacher's name. For instance, if it was Ms White and Mr Smith teaching 4th grade it would be 4W and 4S.

Originally posted by #1 Disney Fan
When I was in elementary school our classes were lettered by the teacher's name. For instance, if it was Ms White and Mr Smith teaching 4th grade it would be 4W and 4S.
What a great idea! I'll have to keep that in mind as a suggestion. Thanks!! :)

Our son also started 4th grade this year and he was so happy when he found one his friends from last year in his class. Our school has several classes so we were relieved to say the least. DS also has no kids his age close to where we live. :(

JohnTBap, why are the kids split up? :confused:

Originally posted by JohnTBap
Teacher secret - we recommend that groups who are too "comfortable" be split.
Oh, I know that one! I just get :mad: when I think of one of DS's friends who has been in an "A" section since kindergarten. He's never been moved, and he certainly has friends other than my son in there. Another one of the boys was only moved to a "B" once, then back to "A" the following year. :mad: I try and point that out to DS (that they split friends.) Two girls in his class last year became very chummy. We would even see them seated together in church on the weekends. I pointed out to DS that they no longer are in the same classroom. I hope he feels better about things when I pick him up today. He actually wanted to stay home today. I told him that if he didn't get moving and was late for school, TV would be gone for the weekend. He moved. :rolleyes:

Okay, this is bugging me so much that I just e-mailed the guidance counselor at school. Let's see if she has any comments or ideas. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter