First Cruise...Tipping?

In the DCL FAQ (http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faqs/onboard-services/gratuities/) it says about tipping at Palo: "Gratuity included".

Oh this tipping thing is one of the hottest issues on the board every week. So just a few more comments about tipping that have not been made yet. While it does say this about the Palo dining, often people tip on top of the Palo fee. For example the Palo fee is $20 per person, we often leave 20 on top of this. If you search the boards there are several arguments that the Palo servers get a very small portion of the extra fee to dine at Palo, and then there are arguments that they get a larger portion of it. Without DCL making a solid statement about this percentage we can not know for sure.

Also Room service tipping is extra but not automatic, we generally tip $3-5 per visit depending on the amount we order and also if the room service person has to setup a table or not (when we are in concierge for example).

While most people don't we also tip extra if we dine and get excellent table service for lunch or breakfast.

The whole tipping thing is very controversial but do what you feel most comfortable and recognize when people give you great service.

Yes, I am well aware that DCL says that the tip is included in the fee for adult dining. However, many people choose to leave an additional tip at these venues.

What if you're a cheapskate and don't want to tip?

Just kidding. :)

So, to confirm, it is customary to tip $12 per person per day. A family of 4 = $48 per day. And if utilizing room service, $3-$5 per visit.

Out of curiosity, can one bring food into their stateroom? For example, if one doesn't finish their dinner for whatever reason, can they take it with them? Or can one bring down a drink from the beverage station to the room?

If that is possible, I doubt we'd use room service much, though I'm sure we'd use it occassionally just to be pampered a little.

Also, here is a question that I haven't seen addressed (at least on here): on terms of tipping for spa treatments (like massages, etc)...how would that work? Could that tipping be done at the end of the cruise or is it customary to tip on the spot? How much should one tip for something like a massage?

Forgive my ignorance...I guess that is what these forums are for.

Please forgive me..iam from the UK so we are not used to all this tipping..:rotfl2:...At WDW I always tip 18% at meals so that is easy enough....But Iam confused about the tipping on the cruise.

Can anyone just tell me how much I put in each envelope at the end of a 4 night cruise? There will be 4 envelopes..is that right?

there will be 3 of us on the cruise and I will use the amounts you give me as a minimum..tipping more if Iam happy.

Thanks so much..I want to be careful I don't stiff anyone.:)

I just wanna say that I have never came across serving staff that weren't deserving of the suggested amount. Certain things that lead to higher tips are little things like Asst server after a couple of nights to learn about us, that the drinks are there when I arrive or brought out when we walk in....it's something little but honestly I swear I am parched every night I go to dinner...LOL If you are great with my kids you are definately scoring big points. After a couple nights I hope my room attendent notices we return after dinner so either draw down the beds during first seating or during the show....Sometimes the kids like to get in their jammies for the show....that started when they were little and to this day after many cruises feel at home onboard so jammies it is.

I believe $112 for server is suggested for family of 4....we have never tipped that cheap.
some of our asst servers have only gotten suggested.
We also tip our porters at least $2-3 a bag..normally have 5 bags so I give about $15...gets the higher amt if he gets me out of there fast...LOL
Also tip the hair braiding girls....usually about $6
room service about $4-6...like PP said depends on how much we order. we tend not to order much, just a little snack like pirate night when the line for buffet is crazy and we don't care to wait and the other places are closed. =(

Anyhow, I think the servers earn every dime, regardless if you go or not...

I just wanna say that I have never came across serving staff that weren't deserving of the suggested amount. Certain things that lead to higher tips are little things like Asst server after a couple of nights to learn about us, that the drinks are there when I arrive or brought out when we walk in....it's something little but honestly I swear I am parched every night I go to dinner...LOL If you are great with my kids you are definately scoring big points. After a couple nights I hope my room attendent notices we return after dinner so either draw down the beds during first seating or during the show....Sometimes the kids like to get in their jammies for the show....that started when they were little and to this day after many cruises feel at home onboard so jammies it is.

I believe $112 for server is suggested for family of 4....we have never tipped that cheap.
some of our asst servers have only gotten suggested.
We also tip our porters at least $2-3 a bag..normally have 5 bags so I give about $15...gets the higher amt if he gets me out of there fast...LOL
Also tip the hair braiding girls....usually about $6
room service about $4-6...like PP said depends on how much we order. we tend not to order much, just a little snack like pirate night when the line for buffet is crazy and we don't care to wait and the other places are closed. =(

Anyhow, I think the servers earn every dime, regardless if you go or not...

In regards to the spa. It is customary to tip at the time of service. They will bring you a receipt to sign and you can add a tip before signing. 15-20% is customary.

Okay, okay, okay...

This is all well and good but what if you want to pay your tips ahead of time? Like when you pay for the rest of the cruise? Can you do that.

I just like to get that out of the way. If a CM (or CM's) go out of their way to make us feel good, I have no problem adding more but as far as the "base" tipping suggested by DCL (and other cruise lines) I look at it as just base salary for the CM's that the cruise lines don't pay so the cruise will seem cheaper.

Can I pay my tips in advance?

I really liked the fact that they charged the tips to our room on the last Magic cruise that we did. I think that it keeps the guests honest. Of course we always tip way more as well. :)

Okay, bear with me here, I just want to make sure I understand...my dh and I and our 2 daughters (13 & 9):confused: will be taking a 5 night cruise in May. According to my calculations our tip would be $240 ($12 * 4ppl * 5 nights) right? :confused:
This isnt't about tipping...but when are you cruising in May? We are on the May 27 Dream cruise....

Is it ok to tip in Canadian dollars? Right now the American and Canadian dollars are basically equal. I was thinking of getting a roll of toonies, and loonies.

Okay, okay, okay...

This is all well and good but what if you want to pay your tips ahead of time? Like when you pay for the rest of the cruise? Can you do that.

I just like to get that out of the way. If a CM (or CM's) go out of their way to make us feel good, I have no problem adding more but as far as the "base" tipping suggested by DCL (and other cruise lines) I look at it as just base salary for the CM's that the cruise lines don't pay so the cruise will seem cheaper.

Can I pay my tips in advance?

You can just call DCL and do it, or if you used a travel agent it can be done ahead of time through them. When you get onboard you should be able to check with guest services if you want be make sure it was done.

Is it ok to tip in Canadian dollars? Right now the American and Canadian dollars are basically equal. I was thinking of getting a roll of toonies, and loonies.

That may be bad for two reasons one they would have to exchange them if they can't use them in Canada and two a lot of people here on the Dis have reported that when they asked there servers which they prefer the tips charged to the room or cash. Most have said they prefer to have them charged as they can send that money back home to there families easier then they can with cash. Also getting cash on board is not really a problem for them.

That may be bad for two reasons one they would have to exchange them if they can't use them in Canada and two a lot of people here on the Dis have reported that when they asked there servers which they prefer the tips charged to the room or cash. Most have said they prefer to have them charged as they can send that money back home to there families easier then they can with cash. Also getting cash on board is not really a problem for them.

I was told the same thing 2 weeks ago on the Wonder. They also liked them charged as they are less likely to spend it and save it as well. As a previous server I of course thought cash because normal american servers hate charged tips but these servers don't have to claim taxes so no biggie but they prefer the charge so now I charge. Anything to help them out!!!

We have tipped cash once, we put it in a sealed envelope. We have also just left them candy, which they seemed to like.

What about CMs in the Kids' Clubs? Do you tip them?

They are not considered to be a tipped position so they are really not supposed to take a cash tip. If you want to give them something what a lot of people seem to suggest is giving them things that they can share with other crew members at the crew party like candy or something like that.

Anyone know if it is possible to charge the tips to the room for part of the room and not everyone? I have people in my room that I am not responsible for paying, but would want to charge my tips and not theirs. Only my credit card will be on the room. Is that possible??
TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter