First case of Human West Nile Virus Found in my area.

Beauty

DIS Veteran
In response to today's confirmation that the West Nile Virus has been found in mosquitoes in Clarksdale, Mayor Henry Espy called a meeting today of city officials and community members to discuss a plan of action.

The West Nile Virus Committee will be chaired by Aurelia Taylor, chief executive officer of Aaron E. Henry Community Health Services.
"The best way to start is by educating the public," Taylor said. "By working together we can keep this from becoming an epidemic."
Tim Mitchell, chief executive officer of Northwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center, suggested the committee hold public forums to inform community members of the potential risks and possible prevention.
"The idea is not to alarm people," Mitchell said. "The hospital is ready."
Dr. Gafar Adesoji of Aaron Henry and Northwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center has experience working with patients infected with the West Nile Virus during the 1999 outbreak in New York City.
"It affects people 50 and over," he said. "Those individuals with weak immune systems are more susceptible to the disease. A death case has never been reported in children."
Adesoji suggested residents wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
"We have to do as we've done all our lives," Dr. Rodney Baine said. "Keep from getting bitten."
Baine also brought up the need to involve Coahmoa County in the effort to educate the public. "This is a Delta-wide problem," he said.
The Mississippi Department of Health announced that the state's first case of West Nile Virus in a human was found in a Hinds County man. Hospitalized with encephalitis, he is now recovering.
West Nile Virus, a form of encephalitis that affects horses and humans equally, is carried by birds, commonly bluejays. It is spread by mosquitoes.
Mild symptoms of WNV include fever, headache, body aches and occasionally a skin rash and swollen lymph glands.
A severe infection may also include high fever, neck stiffness, stupor, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, muscle weakness, paralysis and rarely death.

Wow, that's scary. The symptons sound just like the flu. I hope you have a ton of repellent. Or get that Mosquito Magnet Paul Harvey keeps talking about. Keep safe.

It is scary. They've been finding it in birds and mosquitos all over here, too. None have been found in my part of town, but less than 50 miles away are enough findings that at least once a week they're finding a new bird with WNV.

Its just sad and scary too! We literally don't go outside after dark if we don't have too. Living in the country like I do the mosquitos are twice as bad.

If the country is twice as bad as the city, it's a wonder you go outside at all.

The mosquitos are really bad here. The found a couple birds with it and a horse.
It's scary.

they found a person or 2 with it in the houston area yesterday or the day before

If I remember correctly..it's in about the same area as they found the dead birds with it

They have one confirmed case and four suspected cases here in Houson.

We've got it here. Thank goodness we're in
drought so the mosquito population is low.
I've got repellent with deet by the front and
back doors. We've been making the kids play
indoors at dusk. Two neighbors have appointed
themselves the standing water police. They
check the alleys and backyards after rains.
We have a family of blue jays in our yard
every year. Strange the things you have to
worry about over life!:(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!