Fireworks? World of Color? Silly question I'm sure...

Skjhjb

DIS Veteran
Maybe I missed this in the Newbie giant thread collection - apologies if I did. And probably a really stupid question....but the DL site was not much help - the schedule for these things was "unavailable"

DisneyWorld fan (by no means an expert, 2 family trips and a couple day trips with friends while in Florida) but trying to sort out what to expect for my DL trip in the fall.

I'm a fireworks fanatic - LOVE them (wasn't a Fantasmic fan, but we didn't have the greatest seats when we went - don't shoot me lol) - but the castle fireworks are my favourite, a must do on every trip whether my family wants to or not! Didn't care so much about seeing the castle projection part, but I love watching the fireworks over the castle.

I see the excitement over World of Color returning - is this more lights and lasers? Or are their fireworks as well?

Are there nightly fireworks?

Thanks!

World of color is a fountain/light/projection show in DCA. No fireworks in that show, but if it's the original show (should be?) it's very highly regarded.

DLR is more hit or miss for fireworks. The show they have how has 2 versions. One is a true fireworks show, and only shown on weekends most of the year. This current show was designed to have a projection show that's done on weeknights.

Even if you're there a night fireworks are scheduled, DLR is more restrictive on when they can go off, and are often cancelled for wind. I believe this current setup would show the alternate version when that happens. My advice is that if fireworks are important, see theme early in your trip, so you can try again if they get cancelled.

Fantasmic generally only runs on weekends.

Paint the Night should come back at some point. I have to think by summer (to draw some of the Star Wars crowd over to DCA), but haven't heard for sure.

Look over the first post in this classic thread: World of Color Superthread. The photos will give you an idea of what WOC looks like. It is a unique show comprised of fountains, colored lights, lasers, digital projections on water screens, etc. Usually there are no fireworks -- only on NYE, and small pyrotechnics at that. This is a great show (!) -- but the viewing area is poorly designed -- so the easiest way to get the best view with the least wait, and an actual chair, is the WOC Dessert Party. All other viewing (except VIP and HC) is standing.
F! at DL is supposed to be better than WDW's show. We don't have stadium seating, but the 3 dining packages (BB, RBT, and HB) have the best views -- center, waterfront. The seating is on the ground and BB's package comes with a souvenir foam cushion for you to sit on. If you view the first show, you'll be invited to stay to watch the fireworks afterward from your viewing area.
Fireworks right now are in flux -- the new show is Mickey's Mix Magic, a short, high energy show which focuses heavily on the digital projections and music, but doesn't have pyrotechnics every night (weekends only right now). When peak season comes, there may be fireworks every night -- but we don't know yet. You can view the show from different areas: the castle, Main Street, IASW, and ROA. The show is a little different from each area.

The only fireworks at Disneyland is during mickeys mix magic, and the fireworks part is only on certain day, and it’s not the focus of that show.

If you want a traditional fireworks show, DL doesn’t have one right now.

Fantastic has limited fireworks.

WOC is a water/projection show, no fireworks.

Great answers so far. DL has for the last almost 15 years had a great fireworks show, better than MK. But those have moved on and now the ones they have are not that highly regarded.

Great answers so far. DL has for the last almost 15 years had a great fireworks show, better than MK. But those have moved on and now the ones they have are not that highly regarded.

The last two introduced (Together Forever and Mickeys Mix Magic) I agree aren’t the best. But Disneyland Forever which was run during the 60th I thought was great. They should bring that back.

The last two introduced (Together Forever and Mickeys Mix Magic) I agree aren’t the best. But Disneyland Forever which was run during the 60th I thought was great. They should bring that back.
Totally agree. Remember Dreams Come True was showing its age (debuted in 2005), but was a great show. DLF was really good but designed for DL's 60th in 2015. Recent shows at DL have not been nearly as good as the new Happily Ever After at MK.

:wizard:

This is all great info - I had the same questions but didn't think to ask.

Paint the Night should come back at some point. I have to think by summer (to draw some of the Star Wars crowd over to DCA), but haven't heard for sure.

This would be so cool! For some reason I thought it was gone for good. I would love to see a nighttime parade again...

Oh. I just googled it (couldn't resist) and apparently it was a summer-only show in 2018? We won't be there this summer, shoot!

Oh. I just googled it (couldn't resist) and apparently it was a summer-only show in 2018? We won't be there this summer, shoot!
That’s definitely not true. Don’t trust whoever you read that from. PTN debuted for the 60th and ran for like a year and then became seasonal. No announcements on its return for now but unless Disney is shipping it off to FL it will come back. They didn’t spend all that money on the parade to only get a few years of use out of it!

This is all great info - I had the same questions but didn't think to ask.

This would be so cool! For some reason I thought it was gone for good. I would love to see a nighttime parade again...
When is your trip? Nobody knows for sure when it will be back but I have no doubt it will be. It didn't run last year during Holiday time because they had a food/wife festival in DCA and couldn't run it with the food booths lining the route.

When is your trip? Nobody knows for sure when it will be back but I have no doubt it will be. It didn't run last year during Holiday time because they had a food/wife festival in DCA and couldn't run it with the food booths lining the route.
A food/wife festival? That sounds interesting...:scratchin

Also many of us know that when they started PTN again last summer it was planned to run in parallel with WOC. Since those cross-over in use of space no one knew how that would work logistically. Then WOC went down before we could find out. So the same issue will present itself this summer if/when PTN comes back - which I agree with @mom2rtk that it will.

Glad to hear you all think it will be back. If we go, it will be after summer for sure. Early November or early (next) March. I watched the first minute on youtube and liked it so much.

That’s definitely not true. Don’t trust whoever you read that from. PTN debuted for the 60th and ran for like a year and then became seasonal. No announcements on its return for now but unless Disney is shipping it off to FL it will come back. They didn’t spend all that money on the parade to only get a few years of use out of it!
Ha ha, I didn't read it anywhere! I saw the words "returned summer 2018" and had a knee-jerk negative assumption that it wouldn't be around whenever I go. :rolleyes2

Glad to hear you all think it will be back. If we go, it will be after summer for sure. Early November or early (next) March. I watched the first minute on youtube and liked it so much.
It probably won't run during the holiday season, which starts the second week or so of November.

Also many of us know that when they started PTN again last summer it was planned to run in parallel with WOC. Since those cross-over in use of space no one knew how that would work logistically. Then WOC went down before we could find out. So the same issue will present itself this summer if/when PTN comes back - which I agree with @mom2rtk that it will.

I always thought it would have been a nightmare had WoC got back up and running last year while PtN was going on.

So since PtN has been away some have asked why doesn’t it go back to Disneyland? And as many ppl have mentioned it created a mess during the 60th with that going on as well as the fireworks. But what if they stopped doing fireworks and just did PtN?

Now before you say how could you even suggest such a thing, Disney has already started down that route with Mickeys Mix Magic running W/out fireworks on weekdays. This is all in anticipation of SW:GE opening in June. If they want to do fireworks they are going to have to close down SW:GE around showtime because the launching pad is right next to it.

Unfortunately MMM isn’t as popular as Disney had hoped. They’ll prob still go with that going forward this summer but if the idea is to try and even out the crowds and get them out of GE, PtN is a much bigger draw imo.

Of course that is all a moot point if Disney did figure out a way to run WoC and PtN seamlessly on the same night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!