Fire destroys funnel on Carnival cruise ship; no passengers or crew injured

Kennywood

Kennywood
Fire destroys funnel on Carnival cruise ship; no passengers or crew injured
by Ashley Kosciolek

A fire that caused structural damage to the funnel on Carnival Cruise Line‘s Carnival Freedom on Thursday has been extinguished, and there are no reported injuries, according to the line.

Several passengers, including Jim Edgar from Jacksonville, have taken to Twitter and Instagram to share photos and videos of the incident.

In a statement, Carnival said the fire broke out in the ship’s funnel — or “whale tail” — while the vessel was docked at Grand Turk, a port the line developed specifically for use by its passengers.

“All guests and crew are safe, and the ship’s guests were cleared by local authorities to go ashore,” the statement said. “We continue to assess the situation.”

There has been no official word yet on what caused the blaze. The line has not announced whether the current voyage, a five-day sailing from Port Canaveral that departed on May 23, will continue or whether subsequent cruises will be affected.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...ingHp01&cvid=d442b5def678416fcd1a72d8360a5abe

Some pics taken by a family on board the ship docked next to them

Attachments

• FD8D6970-5269-4CB6-96CB-D41D52528626.jpeg
    FD8D6970-5269-4CB6-96CB-D41D52528626.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 293CA48C-802B-47C6-B6F2-80BF568EC381.jpeg
    293CA48C-802B-47C6-B6F2-80BF568EC381.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 24

They've cancelled the June 2 and June 6 cruises. A friend of mine was booked on the June 2. They are getting a refund and a 100% FCC to be used by 5/31/23.

Woah! A full refund and a possible free cruise?! Well, assuming prices don't rise...

Woah! A full refund and a possible free cruise?! Well, assuming prices don't rise...
Yes, a credit equal to what she spent on this cruise. Also up to $200 for any non-Carnival expense (airfare, hotel). Probably because the sailing was cancelled so close to the date.

I like the video that just shows people walking around as if nothing was happening.

I watched a video on Instagram where the hoses they were using did not even reach the fire and a crew member on another part of the deck is just watching the goings on. Heck we were in a hotel at the Vancouver Airport after getting off the Hawaii to Vancouver cruise on the 16th and we had a fire alarm go off in the middle of the night and the announcement was to stay put. I told my husband to get dressed and we walked down 10 flights of stairs to the lobby. No way I was hanging out in the room when a possible fire/emergency was happening. I saw Towering Inferno! I was shocked there were only a handful of people in the lobby waiting for the all clear.

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter