Fire cripples carnival ship

Between the two choices, I would rather be on the ship than the bus. I would really be nervous about traveling through Tijuana on a bus. I think I would actually feel safer on the ship.

With all due respect.you have no idea what its like on a basicely dead ship.........only emergency lights, (that means a few light bulbs here and there and none in the cabins).....cold water.......limited toilets......a top heavy vessel rocking and rolling.........no ac......no heat....everything damp....crowded ....2 hour lines for some cold food?........and you feel thats better then a bus trip that you most likely would have already been on and off and in long beach already?.....

No I am sorry........you folks really have no idea of the issues.....there is one basic thing Carnivail should be dong.........getting the passingers off the ship as fast as possible.

As I said until I knew they were trying to get to SD under tow.I fully understood and did believe Carnivail was doing all they could.

Of course your fully free to go criuse with them .....enjoy and best wishes........but My family and I won't.......not after they pulled this fool stunt!

AKK

With all due respect.you have no idea what its like on a basicely dead ship.........only emergency lights, (that means a few light bulbs here and there and none in the cabins).....cold water.......limited toilets......a top heavy vessel rocking and rolling.........no ac......no heat....everything damp....crowded ....2 hour lines for some cold food?........and you feel thats better then a bus trip that you most likely would have already been on and off and in long beach already?.....

No I am sorry........you folks really have no idea of the issues.....there is one basic thing Carnivail should be dong.........getting the passingers off the ship as fast as possible.

As I said until I knew they were trying to get to SD under tow.I fully understood and did believe Carnivail was doing all they could.

Of course your fully free to go criuse with them .....enjoy and best wishes........but My family and I won't.......not after they pulled this fool stunt!

AKK

Have YOU ever been in this situation either???? I didn't think so. Have you ever gone through Mexican border towns on a bus either, again I didn't think so. As long as no one is dying, then they are in pretty good shape. Having all of this open space on the ship, IMHO, is much better than being stuck in a bus with a crying baby for three hours trying to get back to Long Beach. The fact that they have food at all is a good thing. They are still probobly getting more food than some people in Africa get. So you have no room to talk. pirate:

There was another incident with Carnivial back in the early 1990's where the *ECSTACY* sailed from Miami and the stern caught fire with smoke blowing out the transom (back of the boat). It that case again no one was hurt, but the passingers found out about the fire watching the local TY news as she was still close to shore.:surfweb: The captian didnt feel it was time yet to sound the alarm and at least get folks to the stations.:confused3

But feel free to go with carnivial if you want.....

AKK

.......geee.have I?............lets see.9 years at sea...........2 ship fires at sea.........1 in the shipyard.......dead ship in the North Atlantic for 2 days until we got the generators up and boilers back on line............lost a rudder off a tanker, 200 mile from San Fransico in a fully laden tanker, waited and rocked and rolled 2 days awaiting tugs...........so the answer is yes I have!:rolleyes1

AKK

Maybe I'm just being dense here - but there is NO non-perishable food on that ship? Was the kitchen/food cargo hold also destroyed in the fire? Seems odd that they're all having to wait 2 hours for pop tarts and spam that the military is delivering.

I'm just thinking they were on board for a 7 day cruise - we all KNOW how much food they go through. Not all of it perishable with lack of refrigeration.

I feel for these people. I hope they get back to land as soon as safely possible. Hmm.. maybe once they get to California some of them can scrap together a last minute trip to Disney and salvage their vacation.

lets continue....the cargo ports around the Mexican coast..gee.....not at all as nice and the tourist stops like PV etc. but young lady if your still sure that a dead ship for 2 or 3 days is better then a 3 hour or so bus ride.....a baby or not.......*:confused3......I am speechless.....that just doesn't make any sense!.........enjoy your boat ride

AKK

lets continue....the cargo ports around the Mexican coast..gee.....not at all as nice and the tourist stops like PV etc. but young lady if your still sure that a dead ship for 2 or 3 days is better then a 3 hour or so bus ride.....a baby or not.......*:confused3......I am speechless.....that just doesn't make any sense!.........enjoy your boat ride

AKK

What kind of ship were you on? pirate:

AKK

No need to be rude. :hippie:

What kind of ship were you on? pirate:
row-boat.png

Sorry mindy.it was only my professional opinion and to be frank if I was rude I was only responding to her wise crack about my background and opnion

In any case if it was rude I appolize.and will not comment further

Just a ole ex deep water sailors opinion

AKK

Sorry mindy.it was only my professional opinion and to be frank if I was rude I was only responding to her wise crack about my background and opnion

AKK

No... lease continue... BTW what kind of ship/boat were you on? pirate:

AKK

Everyone has their opinions .... it's okay.

Group hug ... :grouphug:

haha

BTW, CNN is about to talk to a passenger on the boat ... I guess they have cell service? :confused3

I was on a DCL Med cruise this August and about 2 in the morning all power was lost on the Magic. It was totally dark, no AC and very quiet! Until an announcement was made for someone to come to the bridge (or wherever, I don't remember exactly) It took several hours for them to get it fixed and it was quite nerve racking. I likened it to bobbing around the Med like a cork. You really had a feeling of being alone. Apparently there were quite a few passengers who actually put on their life jackets and went on deck. They didn't speak English and when the captain came on to reassure the passengers they didn't understand so they went on deck.
Totally not the same thing but it was scarry for awhile and I can imagine what the passengers on Carnival are going through. That is a long time to be bobbing around the Pacific like a cork!
Also just wanted to say that it can happen even to Disney!

Their are two words I never want to hear on a cruiseship- Bravo, Bravo.

On Disney cruise line the code word is "Red Party". We had one onboard the Magic Saturday Oct. 30. we were in our stateroom and heard the distress message to staff over the speaker- took a minute to realize what was going on before we heard "Red Party in Parrot Cay has been cancelled- repeat Red Party in Parrot Cay cancelled- fire is out."

When we asked our server about it later on he claimed it was just a drill, although we suspect otherwise. :rolleyes: Obviously it was very minor, probably a flare up in the kitchen of some sort.

Just an interesting tidbit. ;)

I would also like to point out that the Pacific ocean is much calmer than the Atlantic and the Med. They have said that they were got lucky with th weather being very.. VERY calm for these few days. They are certainly swaying a bit but it wouldn't a whole lot. pirate:

Do they have non-perishable food on board that can be served? Maybe...but realize that virtually NONE of it is in single-serve containers. It would still need to be handled by human hands (that cannot be washed properly without hot water) and served using dishes and utensils that cannot be properly sanitized.

Individual food packages are really the safer option.

As for the attempt to get her to San Diego, in some ways it makes perfect sense.

Has anyone ever embarked/debarked in Ensenada? I personally have not, but I don't believe its considered a 'major' cruise port. It would take upwards of 90-100 buses to get all the passengers AND their luggage back to San Diego. Not an easy task to try and charter that many buses.

Some may say "Well make multiple trips." Ok...but then would you want to be one of the passengers that has to sit in the Ensenada terminal waiting hours and hours for your turn? With unknown food and comfort facilities available? I seriously doubt anyone would consider trying to find anything outside the terminal.

No, even in the rough conditions I think I'd rather just sit on a lounge chair on the top deck with a bottle of water and an MRE for an extra day or two than sit in Ensenada and wait for a bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter