Mini TR for another Boston Road Trip - updated Nov 22

Hi guys,

So I've been a lazy Dis-er these past couple of weeks...recovering from one trip and getting ready for the next. My next trip is next week I will be visiting my son in Utah, just outside Salt Lake City. If anyone's interested...this time we hope to go see the town of Ogden as a day trip....it's not Disney lol...but it looks cute from the pictures and we have already seeing Salt Lake pretty extensively along with Park City, so we're thinking we'll try something different. Ski season is pretty much over (and my knee is still wrecked anyway) so that's out...and as far as hiking or biking...the April muddy weather isn't ideal unless you are very hard core, which we are not...so there you have it...small excursion to another town is gonna be the excitement for that trip. But I'll share if anyone wants to hear about that!

As I may have mentioned, my next Disney fix is going to come in the form of DLR and DCA in July. I'm just trying to get myself up to speed on how things work out there as opposed to WDW. We have tickets for two park days with hoppers and max pass. Now just trying to figure out what that means. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that I have to download a different app - not MDE - for DLR. And then I can't actually "choose" any FP until the day we actually arrive and are "IN" the park, when we'll get to choose just one at a time. Is this correct?

Also, thinking of doing the World of Color Dessert party. How far out can you reserve for that? I don't seem to be able to do it for July yet, so I will keep stalking that one. I know that SWGE will be open out there before we arrive, and I am excited about seeing the theming if we can even get into the land....but I have no expectations of actually getting to ride the rides (and my ride wimp self isn't even entirely sure she wants to anyway...) But I'm excited about just seeing it...and maybe the food lol.

So far I looked at crowd calendars and it looks like July 8 will be a mostly DCA day and July 9 will be DLR. But perhaps maybe a little DLR in the morning of July 8 followed by a break and then evening at DCA will be in order...not sure.

I'm actually excited about seeing some of my fave attractions and their versions at DLR and how they compare - especially Pirates which I know I can now conquer thanks to @DonnaBeeGood . Also they still have Mr. Toad's and Snow White and some other rides that are different as well that I'd like to check out.

If anyone has fave QS food options let me know as well for the CA parks. With only two park days, I think we will probably skip table service meals.

That's about it for now...IRL time to finally make an appointment to get my snow tires off! Yay!

So I've been a lazy Dis-er these past couple of weeks...recovering from one trip and getting ready for the next.

First world problems. :laughing:

My next trip is next week I will be visiting my son in Utah, just outside Salt Lake City

Nice! :)

my knee is still wrecked anyway

:( Not so nice.

We have tickets for two park days with hoppers and max pass. Now just trying to figure out what that means.

I was just going to ask you that!
Sorry I can't help with any of that.

If anyone has fave QS food options let me know as well for the CA parks.

Plaza for fried chicken!!! OMG. I'd swim in a tank of sharks... well... I guess I've done that already... hmmm... nevertheless, it's what I'm craving from there.
I also recommend the corn dog from the corn dog wagon. I think it's in the hub near the Plaza.
Umm... beignets... Mint Julep... and apparently churros are amazing there compared to Florida's (so I'm told. Didn't try one, myself.) But those are snacks as opposed to meals.

IRL time to finally make an appointment to get my snow tires off! Yay!

Yay!

Lots of trips lined up; how fun! I wish I could be of more help with the way things work in DLR, but go so infrequently I just don't know. I did like the couple of churros I got that and I had a corn dog from the Little Red Wagon. Mmmm! I have eaten at the New Orleans Square Cafe (Cafe Orleans?) and the meal I had was amazing. The pommes frites were super! A milliion years ago I worked at the Blue Bayou and their Monte Cristo was pretty good and you can't beat the Bayou ambiance. :)

Plaza for fried chicken!!! OMG. I'd swim in a tank of sharks... well... I guess I've done that already... hmmm... nevertheless, it's what I'm craving from there.
I also recommend the corn dog from the corn dog wagon. I think it's in the hub near the Plaza.
Umm... beignets... Mint Julep... and apparently churros are amazing there compared to Florida's (so I'm told. Didn't try one, myself.) But those are snacks as opposed to meals.

Yum...beignets and churros...will add those to my "want to eat" list. Corn dogs too...though I have to say as much as I enjoy the taste...I find I can't digest those as well as I used to lol...

I did like the couple of churros I got that and I had a corn dog from the Little Red Wagon. Mmmm! I have eaten at the New Orleans Square Cafe (Cafe Orleans?) and the meal I had was amazing. The pommes frites were super! A milliion years ago I worked at the Blue Bayou and their Monte Cristo was pretty good and you can't beat the Bayou ambiance. :)

Pommes frites...you got me...

Yum...beignets and churros...will add those to my "want to eat" list. Corn dogs too...though I have to say as much as I enjoy the taste...I find I can't digest those as well as I used to lol...

Nor can I. Doesn't stop me though. :laughing:

Nor can I. Doesn't stop me though. :laughing:

Ha!! Weelll...threat if indigestion doesn't often stop me from eating what I want either lol...but the last thing you want at Disney is to feel like crap lol

Julie Andrews was the narrator for the fireworks, and it was the 50th anniversary summer at DL. Possibly the most healthy magical memory of Disneyland! Also frozen pink lemonade holds a special place in our heart from that family holiday :)

That is super cool!! Also love me some frozen lemonade so that might be a winner!!

Not too much new around these parts. I've been working a bit on plans for our July DLR and DCA trip, although unlike with WDW, you can't actually plan that much in terms of your park days in advance. I'm finding that both liberating and frustrating at the same time! I guess the strategy, correct me if I'm wrong, will be to have a list of our "want to do's" in order of priority and location...and then keep trying on the day to get FP's for them?

I'm still tossing around the idea of doing the World of Color dessert party. The actually dessert part of the dessert party is not getting stellar reviews, however, with the crowds expected to be insane, I think it may be worth it just to have the reserved seating for the show. I'm gonna see if I can even book it.

Based on touring plans crowd calendar, I think we are gonna do DCA first on July 8 morning. If we see everything we need to there and still have time, we'll head to DLR later in the day, but then maybe back for the dessert party if we can get that booked. Then we'll spend most of the day at DLR on July 9. I honestly think I'm going to go in with the expectation that we won't even get near SWGE on this trip. If we do, it's a bonus just to see the land and the theming but I won't be that crushed if it doesn't happen.

Here's our plan for the rest of our CA trip.

July 4 - fly to San Diego, check in to hotel and explore around that area. Trying to find a fun dinner for July 4th and a good place to enjoy some July 4 festivities. Anyone who knows of anything in that area let me know. We are staying near Waterfront Park so I imagine there might be fireworks or something nearby?

July 5-6 - touring in San Diego - thinking maybe one of those hop on hop off bus tour type things, and of course we want to see Coronado and maybe La Jolla if there is time, as well as the aircraft carrier and some other San Diego highlights. Food too! Have some more research to do there!!

July 7 - renting a car to drive to Anaheim, with requisite stops at Tarjay and other must do's for a road trip! We only rented the car for one day since you don't really need one at Disney I assume. We are staying at the Best Western Park Place and Mini Suites which is supposed to be very close to the gate so I hope that is accurate!

July 8-9 - park days - more detailed plans TBD....or at least a wish list

July 10 - super shuttle from Anaheim to LA. In LA we are staying at the Ramada West Hollywood. It's gotten mixed reviews but I hope it's ok because it was decently priced and the rooms look a little more spacious. Later that day on July 10, we are planning to do one of those 2 hour tours of Hollywood to see some celebrity homes and the highlights of Hollywood.

July 11-14 - we will be renting a car for this part and hoping to drive around to see Santa Monica, Venice Beach, and other must see's in the LA area. Suggestions welcome although our list is already long-ish!!. We of course want to see the sign and we may go to Runyon Canyon where I've heard lots of celebs walk their dogs :)

After this the plan is still hazy...my friend will be flying home that day, but my DD and I may stay longer and do some more touring. My mom and son may join us...lots in the works....

But that's all for now folks!! As I may have mentioned...flying to SLC this week to visit my son...and do some more touristing there. There is an aerospace museum in Ogden that we are going to check out.

Happy Easter/Passover to everyone who celebrates!

Your trip plans look great! Enjoy your visit with your boy next week. :) If you are back by May 5th, there is a Canadian Disney Addicts meet that Sunday in Oshawa from 12-5. Let me know if you want to check it out!

Your trip plans look great! Enjoy your visit with your boy next week. :) If you are back by May 5th, there is a Canadian Disney Addicts meet that Sunday in Oshawa from 12-5. Let me know if you want to check it out!

Thanks!! OH man...I would love to but with such a short time between trips (going away with my mom on May 6 also!) I have to spend some time with my DD that day I think!!! Oshawa is far for me too...but one day...I will make it out!!

Happy Easter to you too! (or Passover if that's you. :))

Thanks and same to you!!!

I can not believe it's May. This year has just flown by so far. Some of you are on the most epic trip right now and it's so great seeing the pics!! Wishing I was there!

In 2 days I'm leaving for my own epic trip. Flying to Iceland Monday night with my mom. Spending a couple days there, and then on the London where my dad is meeting up with us. We have some family there that we'll be visiting as well. Compared to a Disney trip the planning was nothing lol!!

What I have been thinking about is the planning for my July California trip. Which includes DCA and DLR of course.

Also, we will be in San Diego for July 4th. Trying to figure out what would be fun to do that night. I know that they have a big fireworks show. I've been trying to research if they have anything like a Dessert part or dinner where you can get reserved seating for fireworks (sound familiar lol?) Too bad we won't be at Disney lol. But I just don't like the thought of fighting crowds in an unfamiliar place...anyone know the area and have suggestions of a restaurant that might work? I've seen some talk about reserved seating areas on the aircraft carrier/museum there...which sounds pretty cool...but I just don't know if it will be crazy trying to even get there that night? Anyone know anything about this? Suggestions welcome!!

In 2 days I'm leaving for my own epic trip. Flying to Iceland Monday night with my mom. Spending a couple days there, and then on the London where my dad is meeting up with us. We have some family there that we'll be visiting as well. Compared to a Disney trip the planning was nothing lol!!
Hope you have an incredible trip! Iceland and London sound amazing!

Some of you are on the most epic trip right now and it's so great seeing the pics!! Wishing I was there!

We sure wished you were there too! But.... VVV

You're doing a pretty epic trip yourself there, Girlie!

I've been following on FB and your pix are making it look so fun!

Hope you're having a great trip! It sounds amazing!

Have fun on your Epic Europe trip! I have definitely been stalking the Epic Girls trip, and grumbling on my dog walk in +1C versus their party in +31C, lol

Thanks!! It was a great trip indeed! I'll do a little recap here in a bit! Hopefully we can both go on the next epic Dis Trip!!

Hope you have an incredible trip! Iceland and London sound amazing!

Thanks!! Yes they were amazing indeed...and about as much walking as Disney lol

You're doing a pretty epic trip yourself there, Girlie!

I've been following on FB and your pix are making it look so fun!

Thanks!! Yes it was fun indeed, and almost as exhausting as being at Disney lol

Hope you're having a great trip! It sounds amazing!

Thanks! It was indeed a lot of fun!

Because this isn't a Disney TR lol...I'll do just a short recap in case anyone is following along..and hasn't caught up on FB lol..

I got back yesterday from my Europe trip with my parents. It was epic indeed, but in a different way!! It was a lot of fun and I feel fortunate to be able to travel with my parents at this stage. That said...sometimes it can be challenging. They get tired easily and London isn't nearly as accessible as I would have hoped. My dad uses a cane and my mom is starting to slow down a bit, and it was a bit hard to coordinate everything to avoid having them have to walk too far or do too many steps. But we managed and I think everyone had a good time!!

I'm gonna give this picture thing another try. This (I hope you can see it) is a picture of my mom and I at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland! And that isn't sunscreen lol it's a face mask that is supposed to take years off your skin lol

IMG_4948.jpeg

The Blue Lagoon was our first stop. They have this tour where you can go straight from the airport (since most flights arrive early morning) They take you there and store your luggage, and then you get a robe and slippers and a smoothie and a face mask while you lounge around in the hot springs. It was just perfect after getting off a long flight. We lounged around there and then the bus took us to our hotel in town. We checked in to our hotel and my mom wanted to rest, so I took a walk around Reykjavic a bit. We were both pretty tired so we decided to try to find some food that we could just eat in our room. I found this seafood shack actually that was reputed to have the best soup around. Iceland is ridiculously expensive, but the seafood is amazing and plentiful for obvious reasons. Our bus driver joked that they have no bugs in Iceland, and the only thing that will bite you is the prices! I got some amazing lobster soup that came with bread and some veggies and that was just the perfect dinner. We crashed pretty early that night...except....note to self - or anyone going to Iceland - make sure your accommodations have decent black out curtains. In May it doesn't even start to get dark until 10pm!!

The next day, we took the Golden Circle Tour. It takes you to the main highlights around Iceland. There was an amazing waterfall and a few locations that were used in Game of Thrones for those that watch. Then they took us to a Geysir that erupts every five minutes and spews steaming hot water into the air. It was pretty cool to watch! Then they took us to a place to get some lunch, kind of a classy cafeteria with a side of gift shop. Even that was pretty expensive but they had some pretty good sandwiches. After lunch they took us to a volcano which I will try to post a picture of...still having some issues but at least I got one posted!

IMG_5019.jpeg IMG_5019.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter