Finally a Diagnosis-Executive Functioning Disorder

Discussion in 'disABILITIES Community Board' started by happily single, Dec 12, 2018.

1. happily single

happily single Left foot first!

Hi everyone!
    I don't think I have posted about the issues with my ds14, but after years of struggling with school and dealing with school based evals we finally got the results of the Neuro-Psy that I took him for.

They came up several diagnosis with the following being the primary:

1. Autism Spectrum Disorder;
    2. Executive Functioning Disorder;
    3. Videogame Intergration Disorder.

Previously he was diagnosed with Central Audio Processing Disorder.

My meeting with the school is the 1st week of January. I am looking for ideas on how to help my son before and after that meeting.

2. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Where are you located? (Country)

Autism often causes several processing and executive fuctioning issues. I've never heard of them as stand alone diagnoses. I have 2 kids with autism and one has EF deficits, while the other has audio processing issues.

Videogame Integration Disorder? Is this even a real thing? I tried to Google it, and came up with nothing. Did you mean Visual Integration Disorder?

Our schools have always done extremely thorough evaluations that included multiple tests to measure levels of cognition, identify strengths and weaknesses, determine whether there is a behavioral component, etc. They then use those results to develop an Individual Education Program with specific goals to help overcome the deficits while allowing for support and curriculum modifications, where necessary. They also provide assistive technology, speech and language therapy, and occupational therapy as needed. Did your school not do these things? If you are in the US, they are required by law to if there are concerns that your child needs additional supports due to a disability.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. happily single

I first questioned the Videogame disorder. I thought they were joking, but the dr assured me it is a real thing. I won’t have the written report for a week so I was writing based on my memory of the diagnosis. I live in R.I. and have an older son with a diagnosis of autism and mild mental retardation. He is doing awesome. the high school went above and beyond to help him succeed. My younger(just diagnosed) isn’t so lucky with the middle school. He struggled s once 1st grade but they just tried to push him aside.

5. SirDuff

SirDuff DIS Veteran

I was intrigued and couldn't find anything either. I found video game addiction disorder and using video games as part of therapy for sensory integration disorders (and others), but nothing on video game integration disorder. I'm really curious what that means.

6. happily single

I’ll update next week with the official title, but it’s definitely Video Game disorder. It is not yet in the blue book that the doctors use for diagnostics (the name of the book escapes me)

7. DLgal

DLgal DIS Veteran

Can you explain what it means?

8. lanejudy

lanejudy Moderator Moderator

Regardless of the diagnosis -- to offer suggestions, can you first give an idea of what are his struggles? Is he currently receiving any services or accommodations at school, or are you now hoping to get an IEP put in place?

9. digiMom

digiMom DIS Veteran

My DD is 22 years old in a few weeks and had an IEP in the schools from age three. We went along for a long time with the general diagnosis of global developmental delay. Saw several special clinics and could not get a more specific diagnosis than that. She was under an IEP as other health impaired due to lack of specific diagnosis. Her needs were assessed, and her IEP was based on those rather than a specific diagnosis.

I would recommend focusing on what he needs, hopefully based in large part on the neuropsych evaluation. DD had one in the past year (with updated diagnosis) and part of the report was recommendations on how to move forward. If it doesn’t, I would follow up and request that. Hope that helps. Good luck!

10. Smittolis

Smittolis DIS Veteran

Can you clarify if this is an IEP team meeting, i.e. you are meeting to discuss the needs and / or the possibility of testing and immediate needs? Or is this an actual IEP meeting that is to review the results of testing and school based observations to see what they qualify for and as such put into plan an actual IEP with accommodations. They are both different and the school district timelines will vary depending on where you are.

11. digiMom

digiMom DIS Veteran

How did the meeting go?

12. happily single

Sorry guys. It’s amazing how busy life gets. The meeting was this week. Because the diagnosis of autism was introduced the meeting was continued until the 23rd so the special ed team could review the meeting and attend in the hopes of transition from a 504 plan to an IEP.

His official diagnosis is:
    1. Autism spectrum disorder without intellectual impairment
    2. PTSD
    3. Frontal Lobe and Exectuive Function Deficit
    4. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder with fair insight.

Areas of clinical concern
    1. Internet gaming obsession
    2. Sensory integration difficulties

The entire team that was present at this weeks meeting seem sincere in wanting to get him the help and support he needs