Filling an Empty Grand Villa?

marie74

Earning My Ears
We're going to DW in mid-June and staying in a 3-bdrm Grand Villa at Bay Lake Tower, which we got through a secondary source (it was "gifted" for a nonprofit auction by a DVC member and we bought it for way under retail value). We have this grand villa for 7 nights, however we are ending our trip at Universal and want to stay onsite at Universal to get the extra park benefits there. Basically, we may have to vacate our amazing villa 1-2 nights early in order to do this! It seems absolutely crazy to leave this villa early to stay (and pay for) another resort. After months of pondering this situation, I'm now wondering if it's even plausible to "sublet" the last two nights in our villa. Has anyone ever heard of a situation like this? Is it even legal? Or am I just insane?? Just the thought of leaving this grand villa early to pay for another hotel room is killing me we're unable to extend our trip and I'd like us to have a great experience at Universal also! (BTW I'm a diehard Disney fan and this will be our first time at Universal.) What do I do?? And just in case you're wondering, I fully realize what an awesome "problem" this is, we are VERY lucky:)

No. This sounds like a DVC member is donating their points to the nonprofit auction. You would be listed by the owner as the person using their points. It wouldn't be acceptable for you to then sell those nights or let someone else use them.

The reason you won't be able to do this is that the party coming in won't have any way to access the room. So, unless it's a family member from your party that can be trusted with your MagicBand, there's no way around that.

In any event, there is no onsite hotel benefit at Universal that I would give up this villa for. Buy the Express Pass separately and take an Uber.

Of course you're right, I don't know what I was thinking...temporary insanity. I'll price out the cost of Express Passes for 4 people vs. one night at the least expensive deluxe resort (which we wouldn't stay in but would include passes for 2 days). And Uber it on over.

Buy express pass separately and stay at your villa. In cases like this I don't just look at the monetary cost but also the time. You have to pack up, check out, check in, unpack again. For me it just isn't worth all that hassle when the express pass is something you can buy. On top of that Disney has a free shuttle to the airport and Universal does not and if driving Disney is free parking and Universal is not so the savings start to dwindle when you see what you have to pay because you aren't getting it included any more.

I'm not a Universal expert - doesn't the purchased Express pass limit you to one time per ride vs. the onsite is unlimited? If so, there could be an advantage to the onsite stay at Universal.

I'm not a Universal expert - doesn't the purchased Express pass limit you to one time per ride vs. the onsite is unlimited? If so, there could be an advantage to the onsite stay at Universal.

You can but unlimited as well. This seems to always get reported here that you can't buy what you get at the hotels but you can. We buy unlimited for every universal trip and stay at Disney because Universal is still only a 2 day park tops for us and will unlimited EP sometimes it is a 1 day for both parks.

I agree, I wouldn't waste time or money moving over to Universal. Stay in your villa and buy the express pass for sure

Yes, this.

Stay at the Villa and buy the express passes for Universal.

book 1 night at one of the 3 deluxe properties, usually Royal Pacific is least expensive. You don't have to use the room just check in then you have UNLIMITED Express Passes for 2 days at the park, the day you check in and the day you check out. This is much more cost effective than buying the express passes usually if you can get a good rate. Also, there is a parking fee at the hotel but again you get that for 2 days :) plus the early entry into WWOHP.

We love staying onsite and using those express passes....we have walked on rides in 5 minutes with posted 60 min wait times.

You are so right, it's astonishing how much cheaper it is to book one night at the Royal Pacific than to buy four Unlimited Express Passes for two days. Totally worth it!

You made the right decision. I've stayed at Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific and a suite (surprise upgrade) at Portofino and I don't think any of them could compare to a Bay Lake Grand Villa, my gosh. :lovestruc

A lot of people split their park time with Universal but stay on Disney property.

I hope you have a wonderful time.

I am a huge massive major Universal fan. And...

I would skip Uni this trip. Because I would be too busy running around the grand villa squealing every hour or so. :) But then I'm weird with stuff like that LOL. I actually don't *want* to ever stay in such a fancy room, 1 because I wouldn't want to leave it even for the WDW parks or the pool etc etc, and 2 because I would be sad to maybe never have that room again. (not a fan of "once in a lifetime" trips...I would rather not go ever than do something just one time in my life)

we are ending our trip at Universal and want to stay onsite at Universal to get the extra park benefits there.

As you figured out, unless you are married to having packages delivered to your room (which a one night stay doesn't even allow for), it's the *in park* benefits you want with the stay, and you don't have to actually sleep there to get those benefits with a room reservation.

Thankfully a couple years ago they started selling the unlimited option as well.

This seems to always get reported here that you can't buy what you get at the hotels but you can.

It used to be the case. :) Thankfully a while back they started selling the unlimited option as a standalone.

You are so right, it's astonishing how much cheaper it is to book one night at the Royal Pacific than to buy four Unlimited Express Passes for two days. Totally worth it!

Yep. Always worth doing that math! Get there early, check in (even leaving to go back to Bay Lake and then coming back the next day you should only have to pay for one night of parking at the hotel), get room keys for early entrance and run over to the express pass kiosk to get those, then take the water taxi, jitney, or your feet over to the parks!

A lot of people split their park time with Universal but stay on Disney property.

And much of the time that's not the best way to do it, especially with more than two people, especially with more than one day at Uni, especially if they are interested in express pass. The in-park benefits of onsite at Uni outweigh the in-park benefits of onsite at WDW. And as Marie is showing us, even just getting the room for a night, but not necessarily staying there (b/c you have an amazing deal on an amazing room), can still be worth it. :)

You will absolutely love the GV at BLT! We stayed there a couple of years ago. There was plenty of room for 10 of us. We never felt like it was too crowded and everyone had their own private space. The walk to MK can't be beat! Enjoy!

I believe OP said that they want to go to Universal because the kids want to see the Harry Potter attractions.

If they make a reservation for Royal Pacific, and use Uber/taxi/towncar/rental car to get there from their Disney Resort, one of the perks they will get is early park admission to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter sections of the theme parks. But how early would they have to leave the hotel in order to get to Royal Pacific, check in, get to one of the theme parks, get to the park, and walk to the back of the park to where the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is?

It looks like both parks open at 9:00 am in mid-June. I'm not sure how early the early park admission is when the regular park opening time is 9:00. You can check on the Universal Orlando boards - I'm sure they would know.

Another perk of staying at the Royal Pacific is free unlimited Express Pass to skip the regular lines at participating rides and attractions. If you look at the ride descriptions for the Harry Potter attractions, it looks like you can use Express Pass for Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff. It looks like you cannot use Express Pass on Forbidden Journey and Escape from Gringotts.

Just wanted to make sure OP realizes what they will get if they pay for a night at Royal Pacific.

https://www.universalorlando.com/we...oews-royal-pacific-resort/index.html#benefits

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter