Feelin' HOT HOT HOT! Disneyland during a brutal heat wave (9/2-9/4)

DumboLover111

Earning My Ears
Hello from Massachusetts! We are just back from a quick trip to Disneyland over Labor Day weekend, and I am so happy to say it was magical despite the brutal heatwave. I figured I'd share some tips/highlights in case they are useful to anyone else.

The players: me, my husband, my 13 y.o. daughter and my parents. Growing up, my brother and I used to beg my parents to take us to Disney. They always said if they were spending that kind of money, we were going to Europe to look at a real castle. So we went to France, Germany, Switzerland, England, etc...never Disneyland! Then when I was in graduate school, I ended up at Irvine, CA for a stint. My parents came to visit and we spent a week driving either up to LA or down to San Diego for amusement. On the last day, they said, "What can we do that is here?" I said, "Well, there's the Mouse." They reluctantly agreed and we set off for Disneyland. An hour later, my mom staggered off of Star Tours, her hair askew, her eyes wild, and she said, "That was so FUN! Why didn't you tell me it was FUN??" For the record, "fun" was at the top of the list of reasons my brother and I wanted to go. Heh. Anyway, they have been back a bunch of times since then, but not in 10 years, and they are in their late 70s now. We were concerned that maybe all the physical activity would be too much for them this time around.

The plan: to accomplish as much as possible in one day while minimizing walking for my parents' sake.

The wildcard: The HEAT. OMG the heat. It was 100F degrees for our first day, 104F the second day, and an eye-popping 109F for the third day.

TLDR: We did twelve miles and 22 rides in one day! It's a new record for us. We did use Genie+ and individual LL, but surprisingly not often.

We stayed in the Frontier Tower of DLH in a two-room suite. Last year when we stayed at DLH they had not returned Mousekeeping, but they had daily cleanings this time. The staff did cute arrangements with my daughter's stuffed animals, which she enjoyed. Views were lovely!

We decided to try the AM monorail to reduce walking. I was leery of this because it seemed like it might eat up all of the half hour of early entry. It did not! We lined up about 6:55AM outside of DtD. There were approx 100 people already waiting! Most did not do the monorail, though, so we were able to get on the first train, which left at 7:25AM. This meant we were in Tomorrowland right at 7:30AM, beating the crowds the main entrance. Super good win! My husband and daughter were able to walk right onto Space twice in a row, while my parents and I did Alice & Peter Pan. Next we all did Dumbo. Love that elephant!

Ride count: 5 (no LL used)

Once the park opened properly, we headed to Big Thunder (my daughter's fave) and rode that with maybe a five-minute wait. Haunted Mansion was supposed to have reopened with its Halloween skin, but it was down most of the morning. Instead, we rode Indy, Pirates, Jungle Cruise, and Winnie the Pooh. We also stopped for our first Mickey-shaped food, beignets in New Orleans square. The mint juleps were super refreshing as it was already over 90 degrees. We combated the heat by drinking something cold all day long and staying in the shade as much as possible.

Ride count: 10 (still no LL)

At this point we headed to Galaxy's Edge, where we did have an ILL for Rise. Wait was maybe 5 minutes. As my mom had enjoyed Star Tours so much back in the day, I was curious what she would think of Rise. She loved it! My favorite part of having Genie+ was the photopass, as I usually am taking the pics and then am not in the photos. Here's our Magic Shot in front of the Falcon!

We did Smuggler's Run while we were there too. At this point, HM was back up but the standby line quickly jumped to 100 minutes and the LL looked to be about 50 minutes, so we decided to try it later in the day. We wanted to get bao from the Tropical Hideaway and were disappointed to find they were not operating. Boo! We got Bengel BBQ instead (reviews on this board have not been kind lately so my expectations were low). It was just okay.

My parents opted to walk back to the hotel at this point. I was a bit worried because it was so hot, but the monorail had shut down at about 9:30 due to the excessive heat. They made it okay! Husband, daughter and I hopped to DCA. We had two new-to-us rides to try out: Radiator Springs Racers (ILL) and Grizzly Run (LL). Both fabulous! We also hit Little Mermaid (no wait) and Jumping Jellyfish (same).

Our RsR pic is hilarious. My husband looks cool as a cucumber in his shades and white T-shirt while my daughter and I were just blurs of hair next to him.8-):P

Ride count: 17 (only one G+ LL, two ILLs)

This was the hottest part of the day so we went back to the hotel for a bit. To be continued...

Last edited:
After crashing the hotel AC for a couple of hours, we ventured back out to DtD to find food. We were not sure what to expect since we did not have any advanced dining reservations. But we walked into Tortilla Joe's with no wait! Food was fine? My family likes things with a little kick, so the spice level was somewhat bland for us. Also, our appetizer nachos took forever to arrive and eventually showed up with our entrees, kind of defeating the point. But my daughter got this adorable balloon elephant we named Squeaky.

Then it was back to the parks! We loved all the Halloween decor, especially in Carsland.

We rode Little Mermaid again with no waiting. Then my parents did their LL for Radiator Spring Racers, while the rest of us did it a second time as single riders. We finished at the same time! Maybe only 8 minutes waiting. We would have liked to do Monsters Inc also but it wasn't reopened yet.

My parents called "uncle" on the day and the rest of us went back to Disneyland. Haunted Mansion had been up and down throughout the day and still had an insane line, so we passed on that one. We rode Big Thunder (LL) and Indy again (LL) with under 15 minutes waiting for each. We caught part of Fantasmic walking around (looks amazing!) and then rode the train around the park during the fireworks. That was a cool experience, if a bit loud. The decorations are so fun right now!

At this point, we were exhausted and had walked 12 miles, so we returned to the hotel for the night.

Ride total: 22 (!!) with only 3 G+ LL. I am not sure it was worth the cost for the rides on this particular day. I did enjoy the Photopass aspect of it.

On Saturday 9/3, we went to the San Diego Zoo. We love the zoo, but it was not especially enjoyable in the terrible heat. We were amused by the red panda who was storming around its enclosure, looking irritated, pretty clearly searching for somewhere cool, but there was none to be found. We feel your pain, dude!

Sunday 9/4, it was back to Disney. This was the hottest forecasted day. We were able to take the monorail to Tomorrowland again, but it closed almost immediately afterward. It was over 100F by 10am and reached 109F by noon. The "feels-like" temperature was 112F!

We did Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Star Tours, Dumbo, Haunted Mansion (at last!) and Rise. But it was just TOO HOT. We saw the poor guy in the Chewbacca costume and wanted to give him an ice cream. Despite this, the parks were crazy crowded and I have no idea how people stood it all day. We were done by 10AM and went back to the hotel. We mobile ordered delivery from Naples for lunch and enjoyed the DLH pools. We had tickets to the Angels game but did not use them because it was too hot to sit outside, even in the shade. We headed back to the parks after dinner (an amazing Thai place I loved when I lived in Irvine twenty years ago).

The big rides had been down off and on all day due to the heat. So Radiator Springs Racers had a 125 minute wait, no LL available. We did single-rider and waited 22 minutes. We also did Indy (LL) and Big Thunder (LL), making it about 10 rides for the day.

My daughter's happy place.

Wrap-up: I was so happy with this trip, y'all. I worried so much beforehand. I worried the flights would go haywire, ruining our brief visit. I worried my parents would break like glass trying to navigate the parks. Then I saw the forecast and thought we would all die of heatstroke. My husband, daughter, and I visited in February, and it was not a great time. We had some fun, sure, but it felt like the Disney magic was gone. Trashcans overflowed. Cast members were grumpy. Rides breaking down all the time. Genie+ was a nightmare and we left the park at 4PM, never to return...unheard of for us!

But I really wanted a fun weekend for my daughter, who has had a rough few years. She left school due to Covid at age 10 and did not return until she was 12. Multiple friends of hers have been hospitalized for suicidal behavior over the past year, and these are young kids. Meanwhile, my parents, who used to travel the world, have been largely home-bound due to Covid fears. They are getting on in years now and my mom in particular has mobility issues that make even sitting on the plane for 7 hours a struggle. I wanted a few days of joy for everyone but wasn't at ALL sure we'd be able to find it.

I'm so happy to say we had a blast! Cast members were cheery and helpful, even in the heat. (Noted exception: a security guy accidentally clocked me with his wand thing right in the mouth; he was sorry but that was NOT HELPFUL, lol.) Ride breakdowns happened mostly at times that did not impact us. My daughter bounced around and acted silly like the kid she still is. My parents did not keel over! Indeed, they had so much fun. They are smiling in just about every picture. Sure, it could have been cooler, but for one weekend, for our family, it truly was the Happiest Place on Earth. :earsboy:

Wow! You survived that heat!! YIKES! :rotfl2:

Thanks for the trip report! So glad the magic is back for your family. 🪄

Great trip report and pictures! Sounds like a fun family trip and glad you made it through the heat wave!!

On Saturday 9/3, we went to the San Diego Zoo. We love the zoo, but it was not especially enjoyable in the terrible heat. We were amused by the red panda who was storming around its enclosure, looking irritated, pretty clearly searching for somewhere cool, but there was none to be found. We feel your pain, dude!

Sunday 9/4, it was back to Disney. This was the hottest forecasted day. We were able to take the monorail to Tomorrowland again, but it closed almost immediately afterward. It was over 100F by 10am and reached 109F by noon. The "feels-like" temperature was 112F!

We did Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Star Tours, Dumbo, Haunted Mansion (at last!) and Rise. But it was just TOO HOT. We saw the poor guy in the Chewbacca costume and wanted to give him an ice cream. Despite this, the parks were crazy crowded and I have no idea how people stood it all day. We were done by 10AM and went back to the hotel. We mobile ordered delivery from Naples for lunch and enjoyed the DLH pools. We had tickets to the Angels game but did not use them because it was too hot to sit outside, even in the shade. We headed back to the parks after dinner (an amazing Thai place I loved when I lived in Irvine twenty years ago).

The big rides had been down off and on all day due to the heat. So Radiator Springs Racers had a 125 minute wait, no LL available. We did single-rider and waited 22 minutes. We also did Indy (LL) and Big Thunder (LL), making it about 10 rides for the day.

My daughter's happy place.

Wrap-up: I was so happy with this trip, y'all. I worried so much beforehand. I worried the flights would go haywire, ruining our brief visit. I worried my parents would break like glass trying to navigate the parks. Then I saw the forecast and thought we would all die of heatstroke. My husband, daughter, and I visited in February, and it was not a great time. We had some fun, sure, but it felt like the Disney magic was gone. Trashcans overflowed. Cast members were grumpy. Rides breaking down all the time. Genie+ was a nightmare and we left the park at 4PM, never to return...unheard of for us!

But I really wanted a fun weekend for my daughter, who has had a rough few years. She left school due to Covid at age 10 and did not return until she was 12. Multiple friends of hers have been hospitalized for suicidal behavior over the past year, and these are young kids. Meanwhile, my parents, who used to travel the world, have been largely home-bound due to Covid fears. They are getting on in years now and my mom in particular has mobility issues that make even sitting on the plane for 7 hours a struggle. I wanted a few days of joy for everyone but wasn't at ALL sure we'd be able to find it.

I'm so happy to say we had a blast! Cast members were cheery and helpful, even in the heat. (Noted exception: a security guy accidentally clocked me with his wand thing right in the mouth; he was sorry but that was NOT HELPFUL, lol.) Ride breakdowns happened mostly at times that did not impact us. My daughter bounced around and acted silly like the kid she still is. My parents did not keel over! Indeed, they had so much fun. They are smiling in just about every picture. Sure, it could have been cooler, but for one weekend, for our family, it truly was the Happiest Place on Earth. :earsboy:

I am SO glad you had a great time in spite of the heat! What wonderful memories your daughter will have!
Absolutely LOVE the photos!

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you all had a blast even in the heat.
P.S. Love your daughters red glasses!

Great review...

We were there on August 31st (check in date, Downtown Disney day) and on September 1st, 2nd and 3rd (3 days of parks, hopper tickets).

The days got hotter as they went by. On the 3rd, we could have stayed in the parks until 6 PM but it was SO HOT and crowded compared to the 1st and 2nd (HUGE difference and we had seen it all we wanted to), we decided to leave at 1 PM, get a shower (late checkout at our hotel) and hang out by the lobby, before going to the airport at 6:30 PM.

I can't believe the 4th was even hotter as you described!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter