February Trip Report -- Disney-MGM Studios and Epcot

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
Here is the Disney portion of a recent trip to Orlando. You can read the other portions of my trip report on the Universal Trip reports board.

February 5, 2001

The cast:
Me (the 28 year old)

I left the hotel around 8 am to go to Disney. I did not eat a breakfast buffet because I planned to ride the Rock N Roller Coaster a lot.

I stopped by the 7-Eleven near the entrance to Disney property. Not only does it have the some of the most expensive gas in town (I did not buy any gas from them), but it always seems busy. I bought an apple fritter and some orange juice. I was still trying to fight off the cold.

I arrived at Disney-MGM Studios at around 8:30 am. The Green Army Men were greeting guests as they exited their cars and waited for the tram. The Sarge was in the van and was looking through his binoculars for the tram. We finally boarded and went to the gates.

I was let in, but my annual pass would not scan. It look my finger imprint, but it would not let me in. The Cast Member checked my ID and reset my annual pass. I would have to get a new finger imprint the next time I use it. I decided to go to the Rock N Roller Coaster first. The guests were roped off and we were let in at around 9 am. The Cast Members said not to get ahead or we would be sent to the back of the line. Some people were at running pace and the Cast Members kept up with them!

There were a lot of people heading to the Rock N Roller Coaster. I first grabbed a Fast Pass and my return time was between 9:40 and10:40. I got into the regular line and it stretched all the way back to the entrance. Even with this long line, the wait was about 10 minutes. In the wait before entering the studio, the Cast Member had told us to stand three asides. We were bunched up pretty tight. I was assigned the sixth row.

Since the wait was about 10 minutes, I rode again. The Cast Member inside noticed that two guests were coming back for a second ride. He started talking about how he is a member of ACE. He also talked about Millenium Force and how it compared to the Rock N Roller Coaster. There is no comparison! A guest asked him what was the best coaster in Orlando. He said the Hulk. If he said the Barnstormer, I know that he was lying! He said the best coaster in Florida was Montu. He didn’t ask us to stand 3 aside again. Everyone was standing in a single file line and he did not seem to notice! This time, I rode in the second row. The Cast Member did not assign guests to rows. He just said to gather up in groups of two.

It wasn’t time to use my Fast Pass, so I headed to Tower of Terror. The posted wait was 13 minutes, but the actual wait was no more than 5. This time, I didn’t get much airtime and actually was thinking, “That was it?” during the drops. I got more airtime on Dr. Doom’s Fearfall the other day!

It was time to use my Rock N Roller Coaster Fast Pass. I got another Fast Pass before boarding. The standby line wait was 20 minutes. My return time was 10:30 to 11:30. There was no Cast Member by the Fast Pass line. A Cast Member said that I could step over the chain and enter the Fast Pass line. This time, I rode in the back. I tried to keep my restraints a little loose so they would not pin my shoulders. Even doing that, it was a rough ride. My head kept on banging back and forth. It was almost uncomfortable.

I had some time before using my second Fast Pass. Tower of Terror wait was now 30 minutes in the standby line. Nothing else struck my fancy to ride. I even looked at the photos on the park map of the other rides in the other Disney parks. Nothing really interested me today. I decided to walk around the park and just look around. I met up with a group who was watching a Cast Member sell a toy. Everyone watching had a nametag. I don’t think I should be watching, but no one shooed me away. I headed off to other parts of the park.

I stopped by the Soundworks setup at the end of the Sounds Dangerous show. I played around with the special effects. I have a feeling these have been around since the park opening. One guest that was coming out of the Sounds Dangerous show said, “This is the reason that we come to Disney.” I think that he was only kidding.

As I was heading back to the Rock N Roller Coaster, I noticed the Green Army Men. They were posing for photos. They were also getting new recruits from the kids. They made the kids do jumping jacks. One kid was named Jack and he was jumping like he had too much sugar! The Sarge said that he was truly “Jumping Jack.” The Sarge also talked about a party with all these toys, like My Little Pony and Teddy Ruxpin. Are they still around? I left when they started to sign autographs.

I used my Fast Pass on the Rock N Roller Coaster. The wait for the front was short, so I got into that line. The Cast Member just waved everyone through again. The front was a great ride. It was pretty smooth and I got a good look at what was up ahead.

The park was getting crowded and I think I got my fill of the Rock N Roller Coaster, so I headed out. I went to Epcot, specifically to go to Ice Station Cool for free Cokes!

I went to take the bus to Epcot. As I was waiting, the boat pulled into the Disney-MGM dock. I had considered taking the boat over, but the boat just sat there for a long time. As soon as the Epcot bus came, the boat left. It wouldn’t have made a difference what I took. I’m glad I didn’t take the boat. I would have had to walk through the Boardwalk and avoid speeding bikes! I would have also had to make the trek through World Showcase to Future World.

I waited about 10 minutes for the Epcot bus. It was standing room only, but I got to Epcot nonetheless.

I arrived at Epcot at around 11:30 am. I tried my annual pass and the machine accepted my finger imprint, but I was not let in again. The Cast Member reset my annual pass and I would have to get a finger imprint again. I would like to stick another finger in the finger reader!

I headed to Test Track, but the information board said the ride was delayed. I’ve seen Test Track break down or have technical difficulties out of nearly every ride I’ve been on. Spider-Man used to break down a lot, but it seems a lot more reliable recently. Now every ride that breaks down will be described as “pulling a Test Track!”

I headed to Ice Station Cool, but it wasn’t open until noon. I headed over to the Living Seas to take a look at the manatee exhibit. It probably wouldn’t be as good as Sea World’s exhibit, but it was something to pass the time until Ice Station Cool and Test Track are open.

Before hitting the Living Seas, I stopped for something to eat. I was getting hungry. I ate at the Pasta Piazza in Innoventions. At 11:45, there were very few people eating. I had the spaghetti with meatballs. I did not order beans because I would have to ride the Hydrolator shortly. The Cast Member who took my order asked where I was from. I told her and she said that I was “not a local, but close enough.” The food was good, but it did not fill me up. That’s the problem I have with Disney food. It never fills me up. I’ve rarely had that problem with Universal food. Disney food is a little cheaper, but the portions aren’t as big. Maybe I am just a big eater!

I headed to the Living Seas. It took me about 10 minutes from time I entered the queue to the time I got into the main aquarium area. I wish Disney would just take out the Hydrolators and make it a walk-through attraction. I just don’t buy the deep-sea theming. Just say it is a big aquarium – there is no shame in that!

I saw the manatees and I was right – it was not as good as Sea World’s. It was nice to see another manatee exhibit, though. I had taken a flash photo of a manatee and then I read the sign saying no flash photography. Oops! I walked around the aquarium area and stayed there for about 30 minutes.

I stopped by Ice Station Cool for some free Coke. Sure, they were from another country, but they were free! You can’t get too many free things from Disney! I drank to my heart’s content. The attraction probably makes money off the Coke items sold in the gift shop, but I did not see too many takers. I headed out to see if Test Track was running.

Test Track looked open. I could hear the cars whizzing by. The regular wait was about 45 minutes, so I took the single riders line. The wait was a few minutes. I’ve never been in a Test Track line that short, even the single riders line. The Cast Member handed out a Test Track single riders pass. It looked like a Cast Member did it up in Pagemaker and copied it onto orange paper. The passes have been through many hands since the paper was quite wrinkled. The doors and queue areas had big yellow signs saying, “Single riders only.” Still, even with the signs, I bet a guest has gotten confused and wandered into the single riders line by mistake.

I was in the same car as five middle-aged women. One of them said that they would treat me like their significant others. They would be backseat drivers and yell at me for not asking directions. I’m glad that I was sitting in the back seat! Actually, that was the first time I’ve ever been in the back when I used the single riders line. One of the seat belts in the back was really loose. The woman pulled and pulled on the belt, but it would not stay snug on her. We had to get out at the seat belt check area and wait a few minutes for an empty car to come up. The broken car got moved to the back. When the Cast Member moved the car, she switched tracks. A circular thing on the track turned to the alternate track and the car moved on. Finally, we loaded in and our seat belts worked properly now. The middle-aged women screamed for joy as the car raced outside.

I was in and out in about 10 minutes. Even with the car breakdown, that was the fastest I’ve ever done Test Track. Usually, my wait in the single riders line is usually 30-45 minutes (from getting in line to getting out of the car). The regular line is about 2-3 hours long. I can only ride Test Track in the single riders line because it is the quickest. Fast Passes are good, but they have a tendency to run out in the late afternoon. I can’t fathom why anyone would wait 2-3 hours for a 3 minute ride. That’s like ¼ of your day! I hope someone can explain why!

Since the Test Track wait was so short, I decided to go on another ride. As I was waiting, a call came out saying Test Track was experiencing technical difficulties. Why am I not surprised? A few minutes later, it was up and running. I think I waited about 15 minutes in the single riders line. From the time I got in the line to the time I departed from the car, it was about 30 minutes.

That was all I really wanted to do at Epcot, so I took the bus back to Disney-MGM Studios and it was pretty packed. I left for home at around 3 pm.

guy.gif

Barry Hom
The moderator formerly known as Barry aka usagi
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

"If you were me, you'd be good looking."

Barry said:

It wasn’t time to use my Fast Pass, so I headed to Tower of Terror. The posted wait was 13 minutes, but the actual wait was no more than 5.

I also noticed this all of the time at TOT, waiting time 13 min. It took me a couple of days to realize, even if there is no wait, they always use 13 minutes. As in UNLUCKY number 13??!! Duh.....should have figured that one out a long time ago.

Tim NJ

Oh, if you want to visit the Universal trip reports board, click HERE.

guy.gif

Barry Hom
The moderator formerly known as Barry aka usagi
Moderator, Universal and Sea World Boards

"If you were me, you'd be good looking."

Once again you pack alot in a short amount of time. Isn't that single rider line the greatest. Thanks for posting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter