February 3rd, 2011: 3-NIGHT DREAM CRUISE (lots of pics!) - COMPLETED 3/3!

You're a great writer and your detail photos let us know what a fan you are of all things Disney. What an awesome TR. Thank you so much for taking us along! :goodvibes

My family and I are LOVING your Trip Report. Thank you so much for taking the time to post and narrate your cruise!

Love the report and pics!

I just noticed a piece of trivia - hidden detail. Your pic of 'Filmore' the hippy van from Cars voiced by the late great George Carlin. His license plate: 51237 is a nod to Carlins birthday, 5/12/37
dig it?

I just noticed a piece of trivia - hidden detail. Your pic of 'Filmore' the hippy van from Cars voiced by the late great George Carlin. His license plate: 51237 is a nod to Carlins birthday, 5/12/37
dig it?

good observation:thumbsup2
...and I observed that you have a whole lot of $$ tied up in cruise deposits:goodvibes...jealous!

good observation:thumbsup2
...and I observed that you have a whole lot of $$ tied up in cruise deposits:goodvibes...jealous!

Thanks.

I did go off deep end booking 4 cruises in a couple weeks span but I had my reasons. The april one was booked last summer during a 5 night on Wonder.

I'd love to try Med cruise and or a TA sailing but not willing to take kids out of school and hard for me to get more than a week off at a time ... someday...

This report and pics of dream are great ... my first sailing on her is wife and I only focusing on adult areas and next will be with the kiddos :)

Thanks for more of the report, I am really enjoying it. Remy looks so elegant, I'm glad you were able to sneak in. Karyn

Karyn,

Remy was absolutely gorgeous! I honestly don't think that I personally would enjoy the food, but that restaurant is indeed beautiful!

This report is FABULOUS!!!! :worship:

I LOVE all the pictures and you have really captured your cruise in word form. I feel like I've been on the Dream! YAY! Can't wait until we book for 2013!!!

Thank you,

Joelle

Joelle,

Thank you! The Dream is a wonderful ship...you'll love it!

You're a great writer and your detail photos let us know what a fan you are of all things Disney. What an awesome TR. Thank you so much for taking us along! :goodvibes

Wow! What a compliment! Thank you so much...I love being able to share my experiences with others!

This is a great report. Looking forward to the rest!

I should have it ALL complete by the end of the week! Well, more specifically Thursday since we're taking a road trip up North. Just as gas prices have gone up...great! Haha.

My family and I are LOVING your Trip Report. Thank you so much for taking the time to post and narrate your cruise!

You are most welcome! I'm glad the you all are enjoying it!

dig it?

That's so awesome! Thanks for sharing that! I LOVE little tidbits and hidden details like that!

Thanks.

I did go off deep end booking 4 cruises in a couple weeks span but I had my reasons. The april one was booked last summer during a 5 night on Wonder.

I'd love to try Med cruise and or a TA sailing but not willing to take kids out of school and hard for me to get more than a week off at a time ... someday...

This report and pics of dream are great ... my first sailing on her is wife and I only focusing on adult areas and next will be with the kiddos :)

The adult areas are great! You and your wife will have a wonderful time without the kids (and I know you'll have a wonderful time with them as well)!

Thanks again everyone for all the wonderful responses! Like I said, I plan to wrap all this up by Thursday evening!

DAY 3 - February 5th, 2011 - Castaway Cay (Part 3)

At about 4:25, we were on our way down to the Walt Disney Theatre for “Disney’s Believe.”

IMG_7618.jpg

Within 5-10 minutes, they opened the doors, and we got “our” seats just as we desired. I was excited to see this show again now that I knew what happened, what to look forward, etc. The first time we saw this show, we enjoyed it, but it didn’t tug at our heartstrings the way “Disney Dreams” does.

For those not familiar with the show, here’s a brief synopsis (don’t continue reading if you don’t want to know the story):

It’s Sophia’s birthday, and her father, Dr. Greenaway, is busy preparing his newest species of plant (“Filiola Fabulae”) for evaluation by some scientific group. Sophia comes out to the garden to thank her father for her present; a magic set (complete with a sorcerer’s hat and wand). She wants to play with her father, but he’s much too busy and invested in his work. His plant isn’t looking so wonderful right now and he doesn’t know what to do to get it ready in time. Sophia suggests using “magic” and “fairies” to help remedy the problem. Dr. Greenaway scoffs at the idea, not believing in such things. They sing about “What Makes the Garden Grow” (arguing with each other over what truly makes a garden grow) and in the end Sophia leaves, leaving Dr. Greenaway confused as to what to do. He rubs a watering can, and sure enough, the Genie arrives! Dr. Greenaway is given three wishes, two of which are used right off the bat without Dr. Greenaway realizing he’s said “I wish...”. Finally, after some pushing from the Genie, Dr. Greenaway wishes to believe in magic. The Genie, ecstatic that Dr. Greenaway wished for this, calls on some friends to help make Dr. Greenaway believe. Characters such as Merlin, Mary Poppins, Baloo, Grandmother Willow, Rafiki, Peter Pan, and the infamous Disney princesses come to offer some help. During a waltz, Dr. Greenaway sees his daughter all grown up, waltzing in a beautiful gown. Heartbroken that his daughter has grown up so fast, Dr. Greenaway realizes time is wasting and he needs to enjoy the time he has with his daughter. It is the power of love that makes life worth living and what is the driving factor of success, Dr. Greenaway realizes. The smile, laughter, and love coming from his daughter is the REAL magic in his life. LOVE makes the garden grow! Upon understanding this, Dr. Greenaway is back in his garden and notices no time was wasted. Sophia arrives, they perform some “magic,” and suddenly his flower blossoms. The examiner arrives and Dr. Greenaway introduces the flower as the newly renamed “Sophia,” and the examiner is impressed. All is well now, and all the characters come on stage for the big finale! Ta da!

Despite an issue or two (mainly, Baloo’s “articulation” wasn’t working, which was something we really enjoyed seeing. It truly brought that character and scene to life), we enjoyed it more than we did the first time. We both felt a tear or two form in our eyes this time around! My favorite scene in this show is DEFINITELY the “Princess and the Frog” segment. Such a fun, upbeat scene (and apparently, the only scene in the show in which the whole cast is on the stage). Much like “Villains Tonight,” I’m just not a fan of the Genie’s humor (like Hades’). Oh well. Every other character and performer made up for it! Disney did a great job with this show. As of now, I still prefer “Disney Dreams” over “Disney’s Believe,” but this show is still a WONDERFUL addition to DCL. Kudos Disney! And now, some pictures from the show!

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7620.jpg

IMG_7621.jpg

IMG_7623.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7625.jpg

IMG_7628.jpg

IMG_7629.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7636.jpg

IMG_7638.jpg

IMG_7639.jpg

IMG_7640.jpg

IMG_7641.jpg

IMG_7642.jpg

IMG_7646.jpg

IMG_7651.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

IMG_7656.jpg

IMG_7658.jpg

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7663.jpg

IMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

IMG_7711.jpg

IMG_7713.jpg

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7716.jpg

IMG_7717.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7721.jpg

IMG_7723.jpg

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7725.jpg

IMG_7728.jpg

IMG_7729.jpg

After the show ended, we went back to the room to get ready for our Palo dinner! This was the view from our window when we got in the room:

IMG_7730.jpg

Our dinner was scheduled for 7:00 and we were on our way to Palo by 6:40. We always enjoy Palo, and we were VERY excited to check it out on this new ship! We were able to see the restaurant on embarkation day on our preview cruise, so now we were ready to eat in it!

We got to the podium to check in, and they directed us to wait in Meridian while the maitre d’ chose the table for us to sit at. We barely sat down before the maitre d’ came and told us our table was ready (it was probably 6:50...10 minutes early)! He directed us into the restaurant and we wound up sitting on the upper level of the first room in a booth.

IMG_7735.jpg

As he went to get different colored napkins (white were set at the table and we both were wearing black pants, so he went to get black ones) our server came and introduced himself. Tonight, we had the pleasure of having Lazslo from Hungary as our server.

He asked if we had dined in Palo before (YES!) and then told us about some of the differences on the menu for the Dream (nothing too major). He took our drink orders, brought them, took our dinner order, and then brought over the antipasto cart (difference #1!). What a neat little thing! He prepared our antipasto on this cart and then presented it to us. (Sorry about the half eaten antipasto plate...we started eating it right away before I remembered to take a picture, haha.)

IMG_7737-1.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

After we enjoyed that, I took some pictures of our immediate area as we waited for our first course.

IMG_7739.jpg

IMG_7741.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

IMG_7744.jpg

We didn’t have to wait too long before our first course came! As we were ordering, we asked for a four cheese pizza and a prosciutto pizza. We were informed that these pizzas were larger than on the Magic/Wonder, so instead we did half and half. Also, we ordered one of the new additions to the menu; the deep fried calamari, scallops, and mussels appetizer.

IMG_7745-1.jpg

IMG_7746.jpg

Both were excellent. I always love the pizzas and though I’m not the biggest fan of seafood, I ate some of that dish and enjoyed it (as did James).

After gobbling that up, we were presented with a palate cleanser...

IMG_7747.jpg

...and then a dessert menu shortly after that. For those that don’t know, they presented the dessert menu before you receive your main course because of the souffle. The souffle is made to order and takes time to prepare, so they want to make sure it’ll be ready for when it’s time for dessert!

IMG_7748.jpg

We placed our order for dessert (we each selected two...don’t judge) and then a little bit after that, our entrees arrived. Both of us ordered the beef tenderloin (as always). I got mine with gorgonzola sauce and James got the gorgonzola AND red wine sauce. As usual, the beef was fantastic. The potatoes seemed different, but I could be mistaken.

It wasn’t long before our plates were cleaned off and then it was DESSERT time! I ordered the chocolate souffle and the new orange soda float with vanilla gelato. It was so neat how the float was presented. I had to break the chocolate shell to release the soda into the glass and then mix it all up!

IMG_7750-1.jpg

IMG_7751-1.jpg

IMG_7753.jpg

James ordered the chocolate souffle and the new apple crostata with salted caramel sauce:

IMG_7752.jpg

James enjoyed the new apple crostata thingy, but I don’t think he’d get it again.

Believe it or not, we also cleared our dessert plates! What can we say, we love Palo, and we make sure to go in with empty stomachs. We paid, said our goodbyes to the server, and then we were on our way out. The whole meal took roughly an hour and forty-five minutes.

The chandelier as we were leaving Palo:

IMG_6187.jpg

We were told to pick up the art that we bought from the Buena Vista Gallery after 7:00pm, so we went there to pick it up! I guess I failed to mention earlier that we bought something! On the second day, we ended up purchasing a piece of art that was of a piece of steel cut from steel used in the making of the Dream. They shaped the steel into a Mickey head, naturally! Here it is all wrapped up:

IMG_7758.jpg

Back to the room we went to get all our luggage packed so that we could set it out for the stateroom host to take away. Is the cruise really ending?! I always hate that part. Once we got everything together and put the luggage we didn’t want to carry off in the hallway, we headed back out. I snapped more pictures of some of the art while traveling the ship:

IMG_7760.jpg

IMG_7761.jpg

We walked through the atrium and noticed that they had uncovered some of the spotlights in preparation for the character farewell:

IMG_7763.jpg

There was still some time before that would start, so we decided to walk along the upper decks one last time. Here’s the AquaDuck all closed up:

IMG_7765.jpg

Soon enough, it was time to head back to the atrium in preparation for the character farewell. I always LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this event because of all the performers that come out for it from the mainstage shows! Unfortunately, that is not how they do it on the Dream. We soon learned that it was just going to be Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, and Pluto. Boo. I understand why, though. Since there are 3 shows a night, with the last one ending just before the farewell, it wouldn’t work having ALL the performers come out for the farewell. Also, they have the same farewell earlier in the evening (before the 5:00 show at 4:15) for those who would prefer that time as opposed to 10:15.

Anyway, the characters made their entrance, and then took pictures for almost 30 minutes. Then they made their way back to the big staircase for the final farewell. Honestly, I was not amused in the least at this whole event. There was just nothing to it...not like on the Magic/Wonder. I love seeing all the dancers and singers from the shows in their costumes and I like taking pictures with them. Oh well. For those who just want to see these main characters, then I guess it’s just fine.

IMG_7776.jpg

IMG_7777.jpg

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7779.jpg

IMG_7781.jpg

IMG_7782.jpg

IMG_7783.jpg

IMG_7785.jpg

Slightly heartbroken from this “final” event of the cruise, we wandered a little bit more before calling it a night. After all, breakfast for us is at 7:45am! And so, we sadly crawled into bed and drifted off into slumberland for the final time this cruise.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Coming up, debarkation and final thoughts!

wow! that chandelier in palo is amazing...not to mention the food pictures! thanks for another great update!

Do the characters in the fareware take pictures with guests or do they just pose for people to take random pictures?

Now I'm hungry! Thanks so much for all the pix! I agree that 'Til We Meet Again replacement doesn't seem worth sticking around.

Thanks for the fantastic trip report!! Just one question (I couldn't tell from the picture in the lobby) do you know if Rapunzel is one of the princesses on board? It will be my daughter's 6th birthday our 2nd day on the ship and she's already requested a Tangled birthday party. The kids have no idea we're going on the Dream but I've been showing them your pictures and they LOVE it!! :) Thanks again!!!

KevieKev05, thanks for the great report and all of those photos. I was on your cruise for my birthday, and took over 600 pics, but you still showed me some things that I missed! Thanks for the time you spent on this wonderful report!

Thanks for the fantastic trip report!! Just one question (I couldn't tell from the picture in the lobby) do you know if Rapunzel is one of the princesses on board?

Good question! I'd like to know which Princesses are available as well so I know which dresses to pack for DD. ;) Last cruise we had her Snow White dress but Snow was off tending to a strike at the mine and unavailable the entire cruise. :(

I snapped more pictures of some of the art while traveling the ship:

IMG_7760.jpg

Again, thanks so much! I'm loving your report.

Do you happen to remember where you found this piece? I will have to make a point of finding it when we're on board (my kids were born in Russia). I will make a note, if you remember where it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter