February 2017 Wish Lifestyle / Weight Challenge: Beat the Sugar Rush and Earn Your Hero Medal!

Good morning friends! I ended up with a day a home yesterday due to the weather... no school AND I had to cancel my WW meeting again. Nice to have a day relaxing at home, but if I don't work, I don't get paid! Today is a 2 hour delay for school, so I'll be heading in about 9:30 am (I'm working in the office this week so I want to get there early)..... and it looks like tomorrow will be another snow day.... and probably another cancelled WW meeting!

So Sunday I was coming upstairs with a fresh hot cup of tea in my hand and I tripped on the stairs and ended up splashing my face and arm with the scalding hot tea.... burned myself pretty well, I must say. I immediately put cool water and then ice on it (apparently ice isn't recommended, but I didn't know that). I kept a cold washcloth on my face for about the next 3 hours.... it hurt really bad. I was finally able to get past the pain and put some aloe gel on it and go to sleep. Didn't really look at it when I got up to shower, but apparently it blistered during the night and I broke the blisters when I washed my face and hair. The blisters have continued to develop and break and ooze (sounds delightful, right?). Woke up today with a swollen eyelid (there is a blister on it) and will probably end up skipping most of my make-up today. I'm sure it will heal over time, but for now it is really icky. I was so concerned about my face that after the first few minutes I forgot about my arm and of course, the burn there is still nice and red.... but at least it didn't blister much.

Sorry.... that was just a lament and rant and desperate desire for some sympathy.... nothing to do with our subject here!:sad2::crazy2:

Lots and LOTS of crazy weather going on around the country.... tornadoes, flooding, snowstorms... you name it! Praying that everyone is safe! I need to get my breakfast and get ready for work.... I'll try to pop on during the day today!........P

I hope it gets better quickly. That sounds awful. From the first aid classes I had to take when I worked at the daycare , cold water or ice on a burn can turn the burn into frost bit without you knowing. I had to yell at my husband about a week ago when he burnt his had cooking. He put ice on it too even after I told him not too.

So Sunday I was coming upstairs with a fresh hot cup of tea in my hand and I tripped on the stairs and ended up splashing my face and arm with the scalding hot tea.... burned myself pretty well, I must say. I immediately put cool water and then ice on it (apparently ice isn't recommended, but I didn't know that). I kept a cold washcloth on my face for about the next 3 hours.... it hurt really bad. I was finally able to get past the pain and put some aloe gel on it and go to sleep. Didn't really look at it when I got up to shower, but apparently it blistered during the night and I broke the blisters when I washed my face and hair. The blisters have continued to develop and break and ooze (sounds delightful, right?). Woke up today with a swollen eyelid (there is a blister on it) and will probably end up skipping most of my make-up today. I'm sure it will heal over time, but for now it is really icky. I was so concerned about my face that after the first few minutes I forgot about my arm and of course, the burn there is still nice and red.... but at least it didn't blister much.

Oh no...I hope it continues healing well. That sounds so painful :worried:

llope and do something new!

Question of the Day
What new thing are you going to try this week as part of your lifestyle change?

r
This question inspired me to try something new ... the plunge pool in the gym (freezing water!). I never done it before. I went to the gym today and short swim & sauna after. I decided I need to give it a go and OMG it was so cold! The first attempt only half way, 2 minutes in the hot sauna and I hit it again. It sure makes you feel alive, I think I kind of like it... Not 100 % sure about it though. I felt really brave/strong after it. I hate cold usually!

@Flossbolna, thanks - I am good! Booked 4 days to Lanzarote (canary island) with girlfriend in the end of March and I feel little motivated again. Other than that work is very busy and I dont get as much time for internet, or working out. Off today as I was working very long days and weekend last week

Hope everyone keeps well. I don't have specific goal but I am still here

Question of the Day
February hosts Valentine's Day - a holiday all about sweets and treats.
How do you manage your intake of sugars, especially in this month where treats are expected?
What about restaurants? Do you ever stray from the dessert menu or do you make better decisions?

Bonus question: Share your favorite Disney sweet treat! (pics are healthier than eating :))

I agree with @Oneanne, it doesn't take anything special for me to have sugar. I have gotten in a horrible habit of having a candy bar everyday. I also suffer from short term memory loss when it comes to sugar. I'll eat candy and then forget and later in the day think I haven't had my candy yet and eat more only to remember I have already eaten it. I really need to write everything down. At restaurants we always order dessert because we rarely eat out (at sit downs anyway) so it is usually a special occasion.

Bonus: My favorite thing is the create your own dessert at Goofy's Candy Kitchen. It is marshmallow dipped in milk chocolate rolled in Butterfinger and then drizzled with chocolate. Yes I have a problem :blush: I haven't taken a picture of mine but I did get one of DS10's
Liam treat.jpg

February 8 - It's WooHoo Wednesday
giphy.gif

Time to Celebrate Something Great.
It's that time of the week... to share a big WOOHOO event with the rest of us. It can be about your progress, your life, an upcoming disney trip, or anything at all. No celebration is too big or too small - so take some time to brag about the good things happening in your life.

Woohoo... it's Wednesday! I thought it was Wednesday going home last night and was kind of bummed when the Tuesday evening TV shows came on, but then realized I have a full day to complete something that needs to be done for Thursday so it turned out to be a good thing.

I do have a woohoo this week. In my new job I'm driving another process change out to the team and so far it's going really well. We're now organizing our work in to two week "Sprints", and the team is adopting the mindset well: normally it would take several Sprint cycles for it to really settle in and I think we're ahead of that curve. Plus the benefits of structuring the work that way are already starting to show, which means I'm managing the bits and pieces well.

Monday we got quite a bit of snow: in the downtown area nothing stuck but at home (which is still technically in the city) we got about 5 inches. Then Tuesday the temps dropped and things froze, so this morning there is still snow on the ground but today it is supposed to warm up and rain so it should be all gone by the time I get home. I had wanted one more snow, and it was nice one, so now winter can be over now. I'm almost done with my second sock, just have to stitch up the toe. I'm mighty pleased with how they turned out and can't wait to wear them... they are lighter weight but thick and dense and should be super warm. Next up is my color work cowl... I'm really looking forward to practicing my picking and color work, and to working on my new needles.

My woohoo for today is that my husband realized how mad I was yesterday that I forgot my fitbit so when he got home he wore it and got me about 3,000 to 4,000 steps. This is about what I get in a day at work maybe even a little less. So I still got my 10,000 steps on my fit bit.

Another woohoo is mu son is doing really good in school. He has taken pride in getting his homework turned in this quarter and might even get all A's this time. He also has been selected to be tested for the advanced math class for next year. He is already in advanced English so this will be great for him. I am not sure where he gets his smarts because it was not from me. I had to work my but off in school to just get C's. I think he has a photogenic memory because when he seems something he remembers it right away. He is the type of kid I hated in school. The ones that would get straight A's without ever studying or trying.

My last woohoo. My daughter seems to be doing better with her anxiety that something will happen to Jeff or myself. I knew it would just take time but it is nice to see that she is getting there.

How do you manage your intake of sugars, especially in this month where treats are expected?
What about restaurants? Do you ever stray from the dessert menu or do you make better decisions?

I'm with the others for whom it doesn't matter what time of the year sweets are always on the menu! As you know I am trying hard to cut back on my chocolate ... still haven't bought bags of chocolate to keep in the fridge since before Christmas. We don't automatically have desert out - $$ plus a lot of the time I know I am too full from the dinner - if it something I really want then we will share dinner or plan for it some other way .... Or sometimes we will just have the desert for lunch or dinner! Such as at the San Churro Chocolate Emporium.

Bonus question: Share your favorite Disney sweet treat! (pics are healthier than eating :))

Some of the treat things I remember eating when we went were the chocolate pastry twists at the little stand near the Royale Theatre, Ice-Cream lots of ice-cream as it was SUPER hot when we went, and some mini churros with chocolate dipping sauce in Cars Land. YUM

Sorry.... that was just a lament and rant and desperate desire for some sympathy.... nothing to do with our subject here!:sad2::crazy2:

Lots and LOTS of crazy weather going on around the country.... tornadoes, flooding, snowstorms... you name it! Praying that everyone is safe!

That sounds so painful! Look after yourself - its kind of related you were having a healthy cup of tea! That weather sounds crazy - we are experiencing the reverse hot hot hot - bushfires, when it does rain it seems to rain a lot and there has been some flash flooding - we haven't had a cyclone this season yet though so that is one good thing so far. Hoping you and everyone affected by that weather stays safe.

I also suffer from short term memory loss when it comes to sugar. I'll eat candy and then forget and later in the day think I haven't had my candy yet and eat more only to remember I have already eaten it

:rotfl:it must be contagious I think I have that too.

It's that time of the week... to share a big WOOHOO event with the rest of us. It can be about your progress, your life, an upcoming disney trip, or anything at all. No celebration is too big or too small - so take some time to brag about the good things happening in your life.

I am not feeling very woohoo this week and not for any particular reason - its been a bit of an up and down week. Tuesday - I was at a school and it was a little time wasting looking for missing resources (still not found) I hadn't taken my lunch to work - it was lunch time and hot - I really didn't want to park at the supermarket, get out in the heat, buy food, get back in the car etc. So decided that meant McDonalds even though I really didn't feel like eating that either and I'm not just saying that it really wasn't my eating preference that day but I was pushing ahead just as it was the best option nearby with my desire to stay in the car! Anyway as I am about to drive in I just got all emotional and teary - out of nowhere! I still had it though. Then that night when driving to pick up DS16 from work it hit me again - just teary out of nowhere - I don't think I had been dwelling on anything in particular - maybe it was hormones!

@piglet1979 - great woohoos for your kids - glad they are both doing better.

giphy.gif

We got the Beach Club Villas booked for January 3-8. So happy to have rented points from a DVC owner and get to enjoy the hotels around EPCOT. :)

Now it's just a matter of planning a 2.5 week vacation to WDW :D

giphy.gif

Woohooing that tonight I finally made the goal of getting 12 points for being in the orange zone during the workout! Ideally they want you doing 12-20 but my body has been struggling to get 8. Tonight I pushed and got there! Woohoo!

Woohoo I didn't have to go out in the lovely snow today and kept my happy self at home inside. Not my groundhog. 9 year old has decided to share the sickies with mommy because well we have to cuddle with mommy when we have the sickies. I did get 20 laps done in 15 minutes but decided to skip the toning exercises today.
Woohoo I got my personal gmail account all caught up including all those spam messages.

February 7 - Let's Gear Up For... The Sugar Rush

Question of the Day

Sugary treats.... while I LOVE them, they aren't usually my "kryptonite". I've always been more of a salty/savory person (like the kind of kid who would rather have had a big italian sub than an ice cream sundae). But don't get me wrong.... I LOVE sweets! And I do work them into my eating plan on a pretty regular basis. Lately my treat-of-choice has been Halo Top ice cream! MMMMMMMM! I do try to keep "managable treats" in the house... i.e. Halo Top, WW mini bar, pizzelle cookies, rather than things I have trouble controlling such as peanut butter M&Ms and ANYTHING that is a salty/sweet combo such as chocolate covered pretzels. I do keep a few SmartPoints aside EVERY DAY for a treat at the end of the day... about half the time it is salty (popcorn) and half the time it is sweet. I work my sweets/treats into my plan so I don't feel deprived.

Dessert menu at restaurants.... rarely to NEVER. When we went out for DS's birthday last month we ordered one larger dessert and four spoons.... so we all had a bit but no one got overloaded. It was the perfect amount. But DS's birthday is usually the ONLY time during the year that I would order a dessert out in a restaurant. We eat out RARELY and dessert isn't usually a part of it. All I need to do is look up the SmartPoints in a dessert and it immediately has NO appeal. Honestly.... a full day's SmartPoints for THAT??!! No way! I'd rather go home and have my Halo Top!

Now.... that WHOLE STATEMENT is no longer true when we are talking about eating at Disney!:rolleyes1 All bets are off while on a Disney vacation. I do love a Mickey ice cream bar (16 SmartPoints, in case you were wondering), Matterhorn Macaroon (oh my, my!), Dole Whip (of course), and pretty much ANYTHING from Karamel Kuchen (Germany in Epcot). I've got photos, but they aren't on this computer.... I'll try to post them later!

Hmmmm... not really a big woo-hoo week due to the burn/pain and some finance woes.... but here goes.... DD got to dive in the Giant Ocean Tank at the New England Aquarium on Monday!! Definitely a MASSIVE, MAJOR, BUCKET-LIST type of woohoo! She has truly had this as a DREAM since she was very little.... the NEAq is where her dreams of being a marine biologist really got started and diving in that tank has been a goal.... and I got to be there to see it!!!! (I actually cried a little!). Honestly.... NOTHING is better than watching your KIDS experience their dreams... as a Mom I'll even say it is better than living my OWN dreams... because you always want MORE for your kids.

Good morning friends! I tried to post here last night, but the computer and/or Disboard totally froze up.... so I gave up.

Living in a "Winter Wonderland" here today.... expecting 8 - 12" of snow... it started falling about 2 hours ago and we probably have 2 inches already. No school today and I already cancelled my 4:30 pm WW meeting. I figured since the Governor is coming on TV to talk about the storm, it was probably best to just cancel!

Thanks for everyone's kind words and recovery wishes regarding my burn. If anything it is actually getting WORSE before it gets better. I woke up yesterday with a swollen eye lid... and throughout the morning the swelling dropped to below my eye... so I went to work with a large pocket of fluid under my eye. I tried to keep my reading glasses on most of the day to camouflage it. Also thankful that I have long hair and bangs that covered most of the worst of the burn so I didn't feel too much like a freak show yesterday.

Last night I tried to carefully wash my face (gotta keep it clean) and of course, it started peeling. I didn't think that would be a big deal, but the peeling area ended up really red and weepy last night... so spritzed the area with hydrogen peroxide (OUCH!) and I'll try to leave it completely alone today.... no washing, no aloe, no touching! My husband's first words to me this morning were "....eww... your face looks worse". Yeah, thanks hunny.... like I didn't NOTICE that! :rolleyes: Yesterday's eye puffiness migrated during the night back up to the lid/inside corner so my eye is super icky looking. Oh well.... super grateful that I get some days at home to recover! I'd be really self-conscious if I had to stand in front of a meeting looking happy and confident!

Okay.... enough whining!!! Yikes.... sorry... didn't mean to ramble and complain SO MUCH!

Off to refill the coffee cup and check on today's QOTD!...........P

Today has been an off morning. I didn't want to get up (well that is normal) and the kids weren't any better. We got snow last night. Only like a half inch to an inch but it decided to snow again this morning on my drive. I don't think we are supposed to more then 3 inches over a long period of time. There was a few accidents on the highway that I take so I took the train again today. I am sure I made it here faster taking the train then I would have driving. The back was just really bad. I was excited that i got to read my book though. I am not a reader and i really hate reading but when I find something I like then I read when ever I get a chance. The book I am reading now is the one that Carrie Fisher wrote about her time filming Star Wars. I am only a chapter or 2 in but I am very interested in it. She does jump all over the place though.

We time to get to work. I have tons to do. Have a great day everyone!

February 9th - Let's Talk Cold Weather and Your Plan
giphy.gif

What do you do when it's cold outside?
Winter months don't make it easy to stay on target. Walking/running in the midst of a snow storm doesn't seem safe or practical. Sometimes all you want to do is wrap yourself up in your favorite blankets and sit on the couch. The weather won't turn nice until at least mid-March if you're in the US (our friends in Australia are in the midst of summer, so lucky!). So ... how do you manage the cold weather?

Question of the Day:
Let's talk cold weather and your plan. Snow/Rain don't make for fun.
How do you manage your exercise when it's cold, raining, or snowing outside?

How do you prevent yourself from just sitting on the couch?

The weather in general has been one of my excuses for so long. I don't have a treadmill, an eliptical, a stair climber and while I have an older style exercise bike ( the ones that clanked) it's in my basement and I don't have room to put it in the main floor of my house. It got to the point where I needed to do something so I decided to start walking in my house doing a loop from my front room through my kitchen and into my utility/laundry room and back. Due to how out of shape I was and my health issues I started out with 10 minutes and am now up to 15 minutes a day of walking plus have added some simple resistance exercises. Resistance bands, some hand weights, and a weighted ball can be kept in the bottom of an entertainment center, a simple exercise mat can be slipped behind an entertainment center or the couch-just make sure you can get to it. Replace your desk chair with an stability ball and get some core exercise in while working especially if you work at home. (I can't wait to get down enough to bring mine up from storage in my basement ( side note due to how my house design requires that we go outside to access our basement as when it was set on the foundation we found out that we would not easily be able to put the stairs inside due to the step to slop ratio being too high and would have had to have a set up that would have taken too much space. We had not done a large enough loan to add an enclosed entry on the end of the house that we had a walk out basement door already put on in anticipation of eventually adding a garage and removing the inside stairs. Our builder kept telling us that our original plan would not only work but meet code and even argued with my dad who said that it would not. The inspector sided with my dad and said nope) though I might have to get some more so that the girls have them too especially 9 year old). I do try and get to a pool when I am able as well.

I have a treadmill and an elliptical in the basement so I don't have an excuse for cold weather. I tend to do most runs on the treadmill because I don't feel safe running in my neighborhood in the early morning before work (or at night). On the weekends I will drive to a park to run if it's not too cold or windy.

February 9th - Let's Talk Cold Weather and Your Plan
giphy.gif

What do you do when it's cold outside?
Winter months don't make it easy to stay on target. Walking/running in the midst of a snow storm doesn't seem safe or practical. Sometimes all you want to do is wrap yourself up in your favorite blankets and sit on the couch. The weather won't turn nice until at least mid-March if you're in the US (our friends in Australia are in the midst of summer, so lucky!). So ... how do you manage the cold weather?

Question of the Day:

I go to the rec. I tend to do much better in the winter. I think because I don't the excuse of other stuff going on. We don't do much in the winter so the calendar is open. Plus in the summer our rec closes earlier and is closed all day on Sunday so summer we tend to walk more outside. it also does not help that in the summer my mom is off of work (she is a teacher) and we will do more together

The way I prevent myself from sitting on the couch is I don't until after I work out. I will either go straight from work or right after dinner. If I sit down and start to relax it is over. This is why I don't do workouts at home anymore. I tried but it was too easy to watch tv and veg on the couch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter