Feasible to use Universal hotel to drive to WDW each day?

Dingdingding

Mouseketeer
I'm planning a two week trip to Orlando for september next year. Me and my girlfriend are planning to visit both Disneyworld and Universal, but also some day trips to Saint Augustine and Kennedy Space Center (so we will rent a car). We try to reasonably do it on a budget but still want to stay in the official/themed hotels.

We saw that the Universal hotels are a lot cheaper than the Disneyhotels, especially when booked for a longer stay (and also like the rooms better). We are considering having a two week stay in Cabana Bay or Royal Pacific, have four days at Universal and commute to WDW on the other days. I saw it was only a half an hour drive and I heared on the DIS Unplugged that more people do it. Our alternative would be to stay at Cabana Bay for a week and rent a DVC for a week but that would be 500-700 USD more expensive.

I'd like to hear the experiences of people who have done it. Is it feasible? Do you think you've missed out on things?

Very feasible and easy to drive to Disney from Universal. We did it a couple of weeks ago and it's an easy 20-30 minute drive along the interstate. It'll cost you $20 a day to park at Disney so factor that into your costs too.

I miss out on nothing when I don't stay at wdw. Onsite perks are nothing compared to onsite at Uni.

Remember the parking costs (at wdw themeparks and at the Uni hotel). It's a very short trip as the crow flies it cries don't have construction and crazy tourists on the road with them lol.

Only thing I would want about is maybe buy your Disney tickets for fewer days than you are planning. You can add on later if you do find wdw continues to call to you. And budget to upgrade to an AP for Uni. Just in case.

I have seen packages in which two weeks worth of tickets of Universal is somehow cheaper than an annual pass (I'll have to come from Europe so I won't be able to go a second time within a year). But on the other hand the anual pass grants discounts on hotels so it may still be cheaper to buy an annual pass (I'm planning to go in september so the seasonal pass will be just fine) or doesn't it work that way?

I have seen packages in which two weeks worth of tickets of Universal is somehow cheaper than an annual pass (I'll have to come from Europe so I won't be able to go a second time within a year).

Ah yes I think Europeans can sometimes still get those fabulous two week tickets. It does make a difference!

I was simply thinking if you fell in love with the place (like we did) and just wanted to go to Uni for more than 4 days. :) Out first Orlando trip we budgeted to upgrade to wdw APs but not for Uni and we were sad.

If booking a room-only reservation through Loewshotels.com you can put "aph" into the code field to check if there's an ap rate at the time you're booking for your dates. If so, compare the cost of ap (you would only need one for the hotel discount) plus discounted hotel vs your other hotel and ticket plan. If the AP makes sense, go that route. You can book the AP rate before you get the AP.

I have seen packages in which two weeks worth of tickets of Universal is somehow cheaper than an annual pass (I'll have to come from Europe so I won't be able to go a second time within a year). But on the other hand the anual pass grants discounts on hotels so it may still be cheaper to buy an annual pass (I'm planning to go in september so the seasonal pass will be just fine) or doesn't it work that way?

In Europe we always get the 14 days tickets. They're currently worth under $300 ( 3 parks, park to park, 14 days) for 2017

One thing to consider about universal hotels, is that you pay for parking.
if you're staying at RPR, it will be $20 a night. And it will also be $20 a night for parking at Disney's parks. So you can add $40pn to your hotel quote.

AP rates on hotels are not guaranteed. They may never show up for your dates. They may not cover your length of stay and therefore be unavailable, or require you to make separate bookings. And AP rates may not bring the price lower, sometimes you just get a better room for the price of a standard.

If you're going september next year, and come from europe have a look at http://www.disneyholidays.ie/walt-disney-world/ if you're paying in Euros, or http://www.disneyholidays.co.uk/walt-disney-world/ if you're paying in British Pounds
2018 free dining is on for the whole year. Free QSDP for moderates and free DDP for deluxes. And you get a $200 gift card if you book before july 6

This might be a game changer.

FWIW, the price of an Uber or Lyft ride to WDW from most of the Universal resorts is actually the same or slightly less than actually paying for parking at WDW.

Another vote to only rent a car for the days when you are leaving the area. Lyft/Uber will be cheaper and easier! Door to door and you don't have to find your car in a giant parking lot at the end of the day.

Another vote to only rent a car for the days when you are leaving the area. Lyft/Uber will be cheaper and easier! Door to door and you don't have to find your car in a giant parking lot at the end of the day.
Agree. And be aware that time from request to pickup in the general Disney resort area is generally 3-5 minutes. Try finding your car in any Disney parking lot that fast :0)

In March, we used Lyft/Uber exclusively to WDW and Universal. I was impressed with how quick it was! That means sleeping in longer and also more park time. Taking an afternoon break takes less time. I was more willing to hang out later too because I knew we could catch a ride 30 minutes before rope drop and zip right in. For MK, drop off at the Contemporary, just past the guard booth and walk over along the path. Saves so much time!

Yup. If you already have your park tickets, you can save a lot of time getting dropped off at the Contemporary (for Magic Kingdom) and Beach Club (for Epcot International Gateway entrance) or you can always get to either from the TTC. Sadly there aren't really any drop-off shortcuts for Studios or Animal Kingdom.

Parking at rpr is $24 a night

I drove in February when I stayed there

I can remember when onsite deluxe hotels were $10 per night
Liked that number better
Lol

Thanks for the tips! I did not know about the parking charges at the hotels, that's a game changer! I definitely will consider Uber instead of renting a car!

In March, we used Lyft/Uber exclusively to WDW and Universal. I was impressed with how quick it was! That means sleeping in longer and also more park time. Taking an afternoon break takes less time. I was more willing to hang out later too because I knew we could catch a ride 30 minutes before rope drop and zip right in. For MK, drop off at the Contemporary, just past the guard booth and walk over along the path. Saves so much time!

Question: I am going to UO in September and will be doing MNSSHP. My friend will be picking me up at my Uni hotel, but I need to get home from MK after the party. I have NEVER used Lyft or Uber before. My guess is after the party to walk to the Contemporary and use the Lyft app to get a car from there back to my hotel? When do I request the car? While I am walking back or when I get to the hotel? (I know these sound like stupid questions, but I have never used this type of service.) Are rides scheduled for a time or pick up is dispatched as soon as the ride is requested?

Thanks in advance :)

Question: I am going to UO in September and will be doing MNSSHP. My friend will be picking me up at my Uni hotel, but I need to get home from MK after the party. I have NEVER used Lyft or Uber before. My guess is after the party to walk to the Contemporary and use the Lyft app to get a car from there back to my hotel? When do I request the car? While I am walking back or when I get to the hotel? (I know these sound like stupid questions, but I have never used this type of service.) Are rides scheduled for a time or pick up is dispatched as soon as the ride is requested?

Thanks in advance :)
About a week before you plan to use it, download the app and get a discount code added (they're all over the Internet), make sure to put in a valid credit card, etc. From MK, I walked towards Bay Lake Tower and when we crossed the street onto CR property (the parking lot), I pulled up the app and started the request. I always made the request as we walked the last 400 yards and usually only waited on the benches a few minutes before our ride arrived.

About a week before you plan to use it, download the app and get a discount code added (they're all over the Internet), make sure to put in a valid credit card, etc. From MK, I walked towards Bay Lake Tower and when we crossed the street onto CR property (the parking lot), I pulled up the app and started the request. I always made the request as we walked the last 400 yards and usually only waited on the benches a few minutes before our ride arrived.

Thank you! I will look for a discount code :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter