Favourite people you have met on vacation?

Oh, there are so many, mostly at Disney. A few memorable connections:

I wanted to go to Trader Sam's go get tat Nautilus drinking vessel they have. It was crowded so I could only sit on the patio, and it was just as I had been hanging oiut with a fellow DISer but she had to go. Anyway, the waiter told me that in order to sell the mug they had to pour the drink. I actually don't drink, but also, man, that thing is like a serving for six! He said, you don't have to drinkit, but we do have to pour it (I have heard this rule is inconsistently applied, but it was that night). Anyway, I tell him to go ask this other table if they want to drinka Nautilus, on me. He does and I heard one of them say, "I wouldn't say no." 😁 Anyway, they waived me over and they were a bunch of off-duty CM's. we ended up hanging out for quite a while having a good time - one of them had worked at DL and even Tokyo, so we talked about that. Anywya, I got my mug, they got some high-end drink on, and one of them even hooked me up with a few extra FP's. Fun night!

Another nice one was when I had an FP for 7DMT that I was using. I got in line right behind a mother with two young daughters. She seemed concerned because the FP line was spilling out and around the ride. I told her that was common and that it moved fast. One of her kids though, started asking me otehr questions - she really took to me! I answered as I could, being the Disney encyclopedia that I am, and then I realized that there was going to be a problem at loading, because both of the girls were under 7. 7DMT doesn't allow for those under 7 to ride alone, and each row only seats two. So, I offered to join their party, and the little girl was so excited. We got to sit n the very front row too, and the kid just loved the ride, with over-the top-reactions to everything, especially when I showed her the witch at the end. It was just too fun, and one of those great Disney moments, where Dis-type folks make a little connection.

I have met many nice people while on vacation. Our most recent trip we were hanging out at the pool area and met somebody who has an aunt that was a good friend of my parents when I was growing up. Totally a small world.

Ah, I don't have favorite people.

I was taking the family to Myrtle for the first time and was on the MB forum. I asked for a hotel recommendation and took one of the recommended places. Then I was in the pool at the hotel with my little one and a guy walks into the area and plops down on a chair. It was really weird but I had to ask. So I walked over and, "Hey, how ya doing? Ah... You aren't, ah.... Parrothead by chance, are you?" We had a good laugh, he was the guy, Parrothead, who recommended me the hotel.

There have been a few colorful ones over the years, but my favorite is the guy we met in Newcastle on our summer trip this year. We started talking to him in a pub and ended up with him as a guide for a walking tour/pub crawl of the city, all because he cracked an "at least it's not Detroit" joke without knowing that's where we're from.

I’m not one to seek out people to hang with on vacation. Actually at Mexican resorts we kinda don’t make eye contact. Lol. In our younger days we met some pretty aggressive couples that wanted to hang out and more. No thanks

Just 2 weeks ago we started talking to 2 young guys at a London pub. We hung out for about 2 hours. Had great “banter”
About the differences in culture. They were a lot of fun!

Really over at Yellowstone I met someone who worked summers there. He was nominally retired and was a native of Florida, but he was very southern. We went back a few times and it was really fun because he livened up the place.

I’m not one to seek out people to hang with on vacation. Actually at Mexican resorts we kinda don’t make eye contact. Lol. In our younger days we met some pretty aggressive couples that wanted to hang out and more. No thanks

Just 2 weeks ago we started talking to 2 young guys at a London pub. We hung out for about 2 hours. Had great “banter”
About the differences in culture. They were a lot of fun!

Oh, I can only imagine.... 😉

Honestly? The workers! CMs/TMs/staff and employees at various places over the years have always been insanely lovely and interesting and interested to hear about my family! We still talk about the time in Williamsburg where we are at an outback and our waitress was headed to NYC for vacation the next year and was seeing some shows and asked about restaurants. My mom always carry’s cards for carmines and handed it to her! We had an amazing time the rest of the night telling her where to go and what to do.

Also seeing character interactions at both WDW and UOR that warmed my heart and will always stay with me. Beautiful things.

Some players from the LA Clippers, on a cruise ship back in 2004. (Sorry - I wasn't a fan and have no idea what their names were). They had been monopolizing the basketball court while my then 7 y.o. DS watched. One of them noticed him and drew him in for a little session; passing to him and lifting him up for dunks. He was in awe. :cloud9: One evening later they ran across us in the hallway and one of them came into our cabin where DS was just being settled for the night and gave him the whole "stay in school and don't do drugs" PSA. He was obviously a very community-minded guy and aware of his impact as a role-model. Great memories. :goodvibes

Can I flip this? Years ago when I was on FB I belonged to a Disney group. Started talking to someone from London. We kept in touch and about a year and a half later when they came across to do their holiday thing we were able to meet up. We had them over for dinner, grilled up some chicken and pork. Took them over to our pool where the daughters could swim. Wonderful family. Husband, wife and two teenage daughters. We are still fast friends to this day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter