Favorite signature restaurant and dish

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by MommaOfTwoMice, Sep 12, 2017.

1. MommaOfTwoMice

MommaOfTwoMice Earning My Ears

Hi all! We are headed to WL in April with hopes of dining at a few signature restaurants. Looking for recommendations. What is your favorite signature restaurant and the best dish you've ordered?? Thanks in advance!!!

2. JZCubed

JZCubed DIS Veteran

BlueZoo - Grilled whole fish.

krauh and Disnee grl like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. AllThingsMickey4

AllThingsMickey4 Mouseketeer

I loved the Goat Cheese Ravioli at California Grill

I also loved the chicken dish at Tiffins and their sorbet dessert

The French Onion soup at Yachstman was very good as well

Good luck.. so many great restaurants to choose from :)

5. lady_hlh

lady_hlh DIS Veteran

From our last trip, I would say California Grill and the pork tenderloin or rib chop with the goat cheese polenta. I never order pork when dining out but I've seen people raving about it on the board and now I see why. I also loved Narcosees and their almond cheesecake but we haven't been back there in a few years. I decided to try Artist Point for the first time last month because my hubby loves bison, I have had some signature meals that weren't completely stellar but this is the first time that I thought this food is so bad that I'm never coming back here.

6. loves to dive

loves to dive DIS Veteran

Cobb Salad at Hollywood Brown Derby

desapaulecidos and Kae like this.
  7. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

I'm not sure I can pick just one. The ostrich at Jiko (no longer on the menu) was incredible. So was the (also gone) potato-wrapped snapper at Flying Fish. The spicy kazan roll at California Grill ranks as one of my favorite sushi dishes anywhere, and their pork and polenta entree is amazing. The entrees at Narcoosees have never wowed me, but the cheesecake lures me back every couple of trips. And Artist Point's charcuterie, salmon, and cobbler might be the best all-around meal I've had at WDW.

8. lady_hlh

lady_hlh DIS Veteran

Interesting, I think artist point must have gone completely downhill. I read rave reviews of that salmon which is what I ordered. It was over cooked and completely tasteless, I had better salmon at 50s PT in the past. My friends boyfriend was also at artist point last month, he took his daughters to multiple signature restaurants and was very disappointed by AP. His favorite signature was tiffins.

9. Haygar2

Haygar2 DIS Veteran

My very favorite Disney restaurant (as of today) is Flying Fish. Their Lobster with Nero pasta (squid ink pasta) is stuff that dreams are made of. Along with it they have a pork belly appetizer. Un-freaking-believable. The whole meal was the best thing I have ever eaten. Anywhere. Runner up for my favorite restaurant is Yachtsman. Their filet was amazing. Along with their truffle Mac and cheese. The rolls with the garlic is awesome. I have to agree with Colleen about Narcoossee's. We've had dinner at 4 signature restaurants and it is my least favorite of the 4.

ocdisney08 and lady_hlh like this.
  10. Colleen27

Colleen27 DIS Veteran

Ugh, I hate to hear that. We haven't eaten there since '08, though I did have a light dinner in the lounge on a '13 solo trip, so it is entirely possible that a lot has changed.

lady_hlh likes this.
  11. lady_hlh

lady_hlh DIS Veteran

I know I have read a lot of bad reviews of Narcosees lately too and that was one of our consistent favorites but we haven't been in a few years so everything could have changed.

12. captaindavidhook

captaindavidhook <font color=green>Stay away from there<br><font co

Yachtsman steakhouse, filet milgon

BuzzyBelle likes this.
  13. CraigInPA

CraigInPA Since June 1974

Narcoossee's almond crusted cheesecake. Definitely a "do not miss".

14. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom <font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha

Jiko-Maize crusted halibut, followed closely by Artist Point's portobello mushroom soup.

15. sleepydog25

sleepydog25 Been here awhile

Every Signature has bad nights and gets the occasional poor reviews. What is great for one person on any given night(s) might not be so for others. Your best bet is look at what menu items appeal to you and give that restaurant(s) and dish(es) a try. Still, here's a short list of items I've routinely found excellent:

Buri bop - Morimoto Asia
    Salmon - Artist Point (also their smoky mushroom bisque and house made donuts)
    Angus carpaccio - Boathouse
    Wild boar tenderloin - Jiko (and the beef short ribs)
    Duck breast - Tiffin's (also the watermelon and barrel-aged feta salad)
    And while it's not a Signature, I highly recommend Sanaa's bread service. Trust me.

16. Espers

Espers Earning My Ears

[​IMG]Brunch at California Grill. Hands down our favorite.
    Unlimited mimosas that begin as soon as you step off the elevator. You could seriously overstuff yourself before you even order your entree, but don't because the lobster eggs Benedict is wonderful.
    Bloody Marys are also fantastic, but not included in the price.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    ocdisney08 and sleepydog25 like this.
  17. 999_Happy_Haunts

999_Happy_Haunts Been There, Done That Since 1972

I'm not going to get into dishes, because at Signature Restaurants, the menus change seasonally as they should at any top restaurant. But in answer to the main question, my favorite is California Grill. Is it the best food on property? No. Might not even be in my Top 5. But the hard truth is, other than V&A (and on good nights, bluezoo), none of the top restaurants at WDW are truly "great" restaurants when compared to the outside culinary world. So my favorite Disney Signature experience has to bring more to the table (pardon the pun) than just food. Most of the Signature restaurants at WDW are "just restaurants" that could be located anywhere. But the California Grill is the one and only restaurant on property that really shouts: "Only At Disney World" and for that reason, it gets my vote. Can I get a better meal at Citricos or Il Mulino? Often times yes. But nothing about either of those places sets the Disney stage the way California Grill does. And every single Capital Grill that I have ever been to blows Yachtsman out of the water (again, sorry for the pun), so I could never put that one at the top of my list as it just sits within the hotel like any ol' restaurant without transporting my to my Happy Place. So for me, the restaurant that check the most boxes, with "I can only get this at WDW" being a very big box, California Grill wins for me, even though I concede that when I dine there I am not getting the very best food on property.

18. lady_hlh

lady_hlh DIS Veteran

I have had fish at numerous signature restaurants at WDW and the salmon at Artist Point last month was overcooked and completely tasteless. The server was very nice and told us that their signature dishes were salmon and bison, we ordered them and they were both horrible. When WDW sent me a survey about our trip, I actually told them how bad I thought the food was at Artist Point. I don't go expecting NYC level dining at WDW but this was the first time that I felt that signature dining food was terrible instead of maybe somewhat underwhelming.

19. gillep

gillep DIS Veteran

Jiko- wild boar appetizer (with a glass of wine).

MommaOfTwoMice likes this.
  20. sleepydog25

sleepydog25 Been here awhile

Yes, I read your posts about AP. I've felt the same way about California Grill before. . .and Monsieur Paul. . .and Citrico's, et.al. I've actually had a poor experience at Artist Point before, as well (gristly bison dish a couple of years ago), though in July my salmon was perfect. My larger point to the OP was that I wouldn't hold the occasional poor experience or dish against a Signature if something on the menu appealed to him.;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    goofyintoronto likes this.
  21. goofyintoronto

goofyintoronto I really wanted to like it, but I didnt.

I wouldnt rule it out. That was just one experience. You'll read negative reviews on almost every restaurant in disney. For example, I LOVE AP and consider it one of my fave restaurants. Cali Grill though, not a fan anymore after two bad meals. To each their own.

Personally i cant wait to go back to Artist Point this trip. Its by far the best meal, service, and ambiance i've ever experienced. Just my opinion. To each their own.

sleepydog25 likes this.