favorite rides disneyland

How tall is the 2 yo? What do they like? Are they adventurous or timid? Do they have any favorite Disney movies or characters? The more information you can provide, the better suggestions you will get. Also, there are many ride through videos on YouTube where you watch the entire ride. That can be a really good way of seeing whether a ride will be a good fit for your kids and for getting them used to what to expect. Toon Town might be a good place to start. Also the non-dark rides in Fantasyland (this totally depends on your kids -- some love dark rides, some don't). Look at the video for IASW. They should enjoy Autopia. And The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in Critter Country.

Last edited:
How tall is the 2 yo? What do they like? Are they adventurous or timid? Do they have any favorite Disney movies or characters? The more information you can provide, the better suggestions you will get. Also, there are many ride through videos on YouTube where you watch the entire ride. That can be a really good way of seeing whether a ride will be a good fit for your kids and for getting them used to what to expect. Toon Town might be a good place to start. Also the non-dark rides in Fantasyland (this totally depends on your kids -- some love dark rides, some don't). Look at the video for IASW. They should enjoy Autopia. And The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh in Critter Country.

When my kids were 3 we took the to DL. I forgot how dark and scary most rides were. I took them on Snow White and they were clutched on my neck with death grips. So i figured well, winnie the pooh can't be scary. They were kind of ok for the first minute or two but when they got to the heffalumps and woozles part, the screaming started again. So we just went on the carousel a couple times. Tried to get them to go on tea cups but they were pretty much done with any rides for a couple years. So my tip, keep the 2 yo off any dark ride unless you are sure you want to try. Opt for outdoor like dumbo and storyboat, except maybe small world as the exception to dark. IMO.

I agree that it's really going to depend on the child. I've been to DL with a 5-year old and an almost 5-year old and one loved the thrill rides, while the other was scared. Same for younger children; some like dark rides, others do not. Maybe watch some YouTube videos before so you can get a sense of which attractions might be fun for them.

Personally, for the 5-year old, I would start with the tamer thrill rides (e.g., Big Thunder) and then work up to the more intense ones (e.g., Space) - assuming she/he is tall enough and likes thrill rides. Otherwise, things like Autopia (just note that it's pretty bumpy), Golden Zephyr (DCA), Carsland, and Tom Sawyers Island might be good things to try. For the 2-year old, I would probably start with things like the Carousel, IaSW, the train (if it's open by the time you go), Dumbo, and Storybookland Canal boats. Most of things in Bug's Life Land (DCA) would also be a good place to start.

When my kids were 3 we took the to DL. I forgot how dark and scary most rides were. I took them on Snow White and they were clutched on my neck with death grips. So i figured well, winnie the pooh can't be scary. They were kind of ok for the first minute or two but when they got to the heffalumps and woozles part, the screaming started again. So we just went on the carousel a couple times. Tried to get them to go on tea cups but they were pretty much done with any rides for a couple years. So my tip, keep the 2 yo off any dark ride unless you are sure you want to try. Opt for outdoor like dumbo and storyboat, except maybe small world as the exception to dark. IMO.

We had a situation similar to this, took our kids 4&2 on Buzz lightyear astro blasters, son 2 loved it daughter 4 Hated it. The dark mixed with giant Zurg and she was not having it. Decided it was time for a lunch break at Tomorrowland terrace 'awesome just in time to watch jedi training from the table' cut to daughter 4 freaking out because Darth Vader showed up! Luckily me and her went for a walk before Darth Maul arrived. Needless to say we made a b-line to fantasy faire for some princess time. It's hard to remember sometimes that at that age its all real to them, it's really Belle and Mickey but its also really Darth Vader and Zurg.

When my daughter was not-quite five, she rode Splash Mountain for the first time. The ride photo is hysterical - the look on her face was sheer terror. After that, she was crying, saying, "I NEVER want to go on that again!" So, to calm down, we rode Pooh. After we came out of Pooh, she decided to try Splash again. Still some trepidation, but she wanted to turn around and do it again immediately. So we rode it three times that day, and then she rode it three times the next day - arms outstretched, laughing with glee. And that's been her pattern. Afraid of the ride, melting down, then experiencing it and loving it. She did it with CS - now her second favorite ride. GotG is now her favorite, but she did not want to ride it - we couldn't get her on TOT at all. But she'd promised that she would, so she - with considerable nerves - got on it. Halfway through the ride, she yelled, "I LOVE THIS!!!" She loves thrill rides, but she's nervous about them.

My 5 year old was a mountain climber, snake handler, tree limb swinger, picked up every insect and tried several times jumping off the roof.....but he was terrified of dark rides!!!!! Why....well, my fear of the wiz of oz was the flying monkeys and witch....his fear.....the talking trees that throw the apples.....he could not get a handle on that fear.......and naturally.... Disneyland has floral images that are human features...that was his trigger.......Autopia saved that trip. Never went dark again....and to do this day does not believe that happend.....but i remember, fortunately my wife hated Disneyland so she was able to watch him after dinner at the hotel while I went touring

We had a situation similar to this, took our kids 4&2 on Buzz lightyear astro blasters, son 2 loved it daughter 4 Hated it. The dark mixed with giant Zurg and she was not having it. Decided it was time for a lunch break at Tomorrowland terrace 'awesome just in time to watch jedi training from the table' cut to daughter 4 freaking out because Darth Vader showed up! Luckily me and her went for a walk before Darth Maul arrived. Needless to say we made a b-line to fantasy faire for some princess time. It's hard to remember sometimes that at that age its all real to them, it's really Belle and Mickey but its also really Darth Vader and Zurg.

Yeah things you forget about or don't consider scary is completely different through kids eyes. Took the kids to tom sawyer island when they were older, maybe 5 or 6? All was fine until they looked in one of the caves and saw a skull or skeleton and it was all over...

I'm 49 and still traumatized by being taken on Snow White when I was a little kid. Have never been on it again and never taken my kids on it. :rotfl2:

I'm 49 and still traumatized by being taken on Snow White when I was a little kid. Have never been on it again and never taken my kids on it. :rotfl2:
I feel sorry for you.....the BEST TEN FEET AT DISNEYLAND.....is the dwarfs kitchen.....it take five rides in a row to catch all the detail....money can be made on that kitchen trivia.....because no one can see it.....load...swish....you are looking at cuckoo clocks!!!!

I've found the experience with little ones dependent upon their individual personalities. My daughter at age 5 was terrified by the drop on Splash Mountain - but up until that time was having the time of her life. I thought she would never trust me again. My boys at that age kept dragging me back for that ride. My youngest daughter, now 4, is not quite tall enough for Splash Mountain. However, there is no doubt in my mind that she will want to go on it over and over again as soon as she is tall enough.

Big hits were always Pooh, Ariel, carousel, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Mickey's Magical map show, Pirates (yes, even for my scaredy cat), Bug's Life rides (I hate them though), Midway Mania, Disney Jr. show, and Small World.

Best of luck, I hope you have a great time.

I agree with all of the above. I would probably just avoid the dark rides all together. Perhaps except Pirates - for some reason my kids did NOT like Alice, but thought Pirates was fun. They (twins) were almost 4 at the time (plus a baby young enough to not care about anything).

Two I have not seen mentioned yet:
1) IASW - my kids HATED this one. They were fine for the first 2 minutes and then that was it. I spent the next 3 minutes trying to point out fun things to see and find, but then they were both in tears and my husband and I were singing familiar songs in their ears for the rest of the ride. It was the longest darn 15 minutes of our trip. Never again!

2) Gadget's Go-Coaster was a blast. We rode that over and over again. It was empty right when toon town opened and they rode back to back. The ride operator took pity on us one time and just let us stay on without getting off (there was no line). I think the height min is 35", so the 2 yr old may be tall enough.

I would see what your 5 year old is up for and try the big ones! BTMM, Splash, RSR. I think they would both like TSMM, the bug's land rides and splash pad. Oh, and mine loved Ariel. There was no line when we were there and rode that several times because they loved the "under the sea" scene so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter