Favorite non-park ideas?

stacy347

I carried a watermelon?
We are going to have some days on our upcoming trip that we will not be doing a major park. I was hoping to get some good ideas for other things to check out in the area.

So far we have picked Melbourne Zoo and Titanic Experience. We also will be doing one day of just hanging out at our resort since it has a great pool area with lazy river and waterslide.

We don't have any kids under 13 in our group if that helps, and I'd like to travel no further than about 45 minutes from the Orlando area.
I've already checked out the Orlando and Kissimmee tourism sites, but nothing is really jumping out at me.

Thanks for any input! :)

We loved Gatorland. It is a great animal park and is pretty affordable. Our kids loved all the reptiles and shows they had. If you are not into alligators I wouldn't go though. The swamp walk is also pretty cool. You get to walk through the begining of the Everglades on a wooden foot bridge path.

http://www.gatorland.com/

It's about an hour, but we always try to go to the ocean. We usually go to Daytona Beach but I think Cocoa beach might be a little closer? Honestly, it is always one of our best days - a nice break from the parks and the kids love the waves.

Also, last time we went to Kennedy Space Center. Again, I think it was about an hour drive. I thought our kids would be bored but they both thoroughly enjoyed it. We were there from opening to almost closing.

We loved Gatorland. It is a great animal park and is pretty affordable. Our kids loved all the reptiles and shows they had. If you are not into alligators I wouldn't go though. The swamp walk is also pretty cool. You get to walk through the begining of the Everglades on a wooden foot bridge path.

http://www.gatorland.com/

another vote for GATORLAND!

Thanks for the ideas! I am making a list and letting the kids vote. :thumbsup2

We are doing an airboat ride, and I would love to do a Gulf shore beach day since I've never been to one. I also looked at the Titanic Experience but I don't know if my kids would be into that. I saw you mentioned it and right now there is a Groupon for it for half price admission $11, and you can buy up to 6.

Great thread :thumbsup2 . We are not the type of family who does parks daily from sun-up to sun-down, so we're always looking for some great ideas on other fun things to do in the area.

We love mini golfing....its always a family favourite. On our most recent trip, we had great experiences at Pirates Cove, Hawaiian Rumble, and Gator Golf & Adventure Park (all on I-Drive). You can check out my trip report for photos and details:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864779

M&M World at the Florida Mall is also worth a visit.

Glad to hear Gatorland gets favourable reviews....we have purchased tix for this attraction for our upcoming trip in August :banana: . Like the PP, we are also going to try an airboat ride for the first time. :cool2:

We stay at YC/BC and tend to take SEVERAL swim resort days. That being said we also like a day of off property - last year we rented a pontoon and did the whole river from POR to DTD with a side trip to OKW.We all loved that...Took a picnic lunch on board, etc. We have also done Gatorland, again very very nice. DD loved it. This summer we are doing the Titanic. DD13 i think will really enjoy it and it has gotten really good reviews from others.

Last summer we resort hopped and had meals at different places. We have a rental car. Had snacks at different restaurants, took pics of the lobby with photopass guy, etc. It was actually quite fun! Stoppped at AKL to see animals, etc.

It's about an hour, but we always try to go to the ocean. We usually go to Daytona Beach but I think Cocoa beach might be a little closer? Honestly, it is always one of our best days - a nice break from the parks and the kids love the waves.

Last time we were in Orlando, we went over to Daytona for the day. Spent some time on the beach & also checked out the racetrack :)

I also looked at the Titanic Experience but I don't know if my kids would be into that. I saw you mentioned it and right now there is a Groupon for it for half price admission $11, and you can buy up to 6.

I think my girls will enjoy it more than I will. They watch the movie over and over, and never tire of it, LOL. I do like getting up close with history though, so I am looking forward to that aspect of it. :)
They have the B1G1 Free in the Orlando Entertainment Book that we bought, but thank you for the heads up about Groupon. :goodvibes

M&M World at the Florida Mall is also worth a visit.

I had no idea about M&M World! I just looked it up and signed up for their updates, thank you! :thumbsup2

Last summer we resort hopped and had meals at different places. We have a rental car. Had snacks at different restaurants, took pics of the lobby with photopass guy, etc. It was actually quite fun! Stoppped at AKL to see animals, etc.

We did the same thing during our trip in 2010, and I very much enjoyed seeing the different resorts. We had a blast at AKL. We chatted with the CMs from Africa, and learned new things about the animals and their home. We joined in the parade through the resort (which was a hoot!), and stopped into the Mara for Zebra Domes. We spent several hours just at AKL, and it was great! :)

We have picked our own fruit 10X's and had a great time.

Farris and fosters make your own choclates 3X's YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gatorland 3X's they all loved it me not so much.

Orlando Science Museum last summer to see a Beatles Light show and a guitar exhibit.

Disney Mini Golf had lots of laughs and fun.

Disney Wilderness Preserve again not my fav. but the rest liked it. I enjoyed the walk.

The gang loved the 3 tiered go karts. I took pics but the husband and brother-in-law liked it better then my boys we did this 2X's. Last summer with 4 16YOl's loved it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter