Favorite Hawaiian products to enjoy at home?

OffToDWD

DIS Veteran
We had to cancel our Aulani trip and most likely won't be visiting until next year... we are missing Hawaii! Any favorite products/vendors recommendations? Since we can't go there, maybe we can bring a little of Hawaii to us!

Do you have any specific products in mind?

Here's a link to a directory of local food vendors, organized by product type: http://www.foodsofhawaii.com/products/product-categories/

North Shore Goodies is a popular vendor that has an online store: https://northshoregoodies.net/products/

A Made in Hawaii marketplace will be opening in the middle of August and will feature hundreds of local vendors. The in-person event attracts over 50k people but it's going virtual this year. The festival website is www.madeinhawaii.com

Do you have any specific products in mind?

Here's a link to a directory of local food vendors, organized by product type: http://www.foodsofhawaii.com/products/product-categories/

North Shore Goodies is a popular vendor that has an online store: https://northshoregoodies.net/products/

A Made in Hawaii marketplace will be opening in the middle of August and will feature hundreds of local vendors. The in-person event attracts over 50k people but it's going virtual this year. The festival website is www.madeinhawaii.com

These are great - THANKS! No, don't have anything specific in mind. We've been trying to make Hawaiian dishes at home too! We generally like to try local items when we visit so open to any new suggestions. The coconut peanut butter products from North Shore Goodies sure sound delicious!!

Is there an L&L near you? I thank my lucky stars that we have one nearby. I'm not sure that I could live without their spam musubi! We tried to make them at home once. Epic fail.

Any favorite products/vendors recommendations?
Yes!! I went to look at my fave coconut syrup to recommend it, and it’s from North Shore Goodies! Aulani had red velvet Iron Man pancakes with coconut syrup and I was hooked! Also, Mauna Loa makes a million varieties of coated mac nuts (most of which you don’t see in the mainland) and I liked most of them a lot, but the Maui onion and garlic is still my fave! But they travel well so check those out.

There’s another thread on here of recipes at home; shouldn’t be hard to find. Several of us do the slow cooker kalua pork and it is the BOMB. Order yourself some pink Hawaiian salt for that.

I’d love to hear some locals recommend their favorite haupia mix, cuz I am NOT making it from scratch! I’m the only one who eats it so it’s not worth all that effort.

Thanks for all the links everyone! Good way to help some local businesses and let me have a tiny touch of Hawaii until we get back in 2022!!

Is there an L&L near you? I thank my lucky stars that we have one nearby. I'm not sure that I could live without their spam musubi! We tried to make them at home once. Epic fail.

Unfortunately we don't! We've also tried making spam musubi at home but just doesn't taste the same... but that doesn't stop my kids from keep trying!

Yes!! I went to look at my fave coconut syrup to recommend it, and it’s from North Shore Goodies! Aulani had red velvet Iron Man pancakes with coconut syrup and I was hooked! Also, Mauna Loa makes a million varieties of coated mac nuts (most of which you don’t see in the mainland) and I liked most of them a lot, but the Maui onion and garlic is still my fave! But they travel well so check those out.

There’s another thread on here of recipes at home; shouldn’t be hard to find. Several of us do the slow cooker kalua pork and it is the BOMB. Order yourself some pink Hawaiian salt for that.

I’d love to hear some locals recommend their favorite haupia mix, cuz I am NOT making it from scratch! I’m the only one who eats it so it’s not worth all that effort.

Thanks for all the links everyone! Good way to help some local businesses and let me have a tiny touch of Hawaii until we get back in 2022!!

So sad that they don't have the coconut syrup online! I will keep an eye out for it and if we don't get the chance to have it before we visit, will definitely try it when we are there!

Thanks for the syrup and mac nut recommendations and the tips on the recipes. We have been making the slow cooker kalua pork (my whole family loves it!) and would also love some more local recipes to try! Your haupia mix request just reminded me of the delicious fresh mochi we had too. So many good food!

Here's a link to another site, Only From Hawaii: https://www.onlyfromhawaii.com/online-store

The products on this site are items that locals would buy and cook at home. They're not the sort of products that are marketed towards visitors. Zippy's chili with red Redondo hot dogs is a staple for quick dinners and potlucks.

Do you just combine the Zippy's chili (with beans?) with the Redondo Portuguese sausages... heat and serve? Going to give it a try!

My husband dices the Portuguese sausage and throws it into the chili. We also eat the Portuguese sausage with a side of eggs and white rice for breakfast. It looks like the website doesn’t carry the dinner franks that I like to pour the chili on, but any hot dog is just fine.

A lot of locals also like the Zippy's bean-less chili over spaghetti noodles.

Defrosted laulau steamed in an instant pot is surprisingly delicious.

Anything from May's is delicious, but it looks like their products are sold out at the moment.

My husband dices the Portuguese sausage and throws it into the chili. We also eat the Portuguese sausage with a side of eggs and white rice for breakfast. It looks like the website doesn’t carry the dinner franks that I like to pour the chili on, but any hot dog is just fine.

A lot of locals also like the Zippy's bean-less chili over spaghetti noodles.

Defrosted laulau steamed in an instant pot is surprisingly delicious.

Anything from May's is delicious, but it looks like their products are sold out at the moment.

You rock! Thank you for these great ideas!

Not exactly from Hawaii but our Costco had a "Hawaiian" Chicken dish in their refrigerated section. The brand name escapes me. I just heated it up and served over rice and it was surprisingly delicious!

We have been ordering coffee from Kona. It reminds me of my trip and is delicious! I'm also thinking about ordering cookies from the Honolulu Cookie Company. We may wait for our rescheduled November WDW trip to get them at the Poly.

Reactions: GAN
We bought some t-shirts from 88 Tees and Matsumoto's and had them shipped to us at home. Gives us the warm fuzzies when we wear them! I believe Honolulu Cookie Co ships as well. Which makes me wonder if there's a place I can order Maui Chips from!

Our local (Missouri) grocery store just started carrying Maui chips and I was so excited. They weren't cheap at $4 per bag (and the bags are smaller than a normal Lays bag or whatever) but I definitely stocked up! Outside of a couple Hawaiian restaurants, I haven't seen them in stores around here. Definitely recommend them if you can find them.

We have been ordering coffee from Kona. It reminds me of my trip and is delicious! I'm also thinking about ordering cookies from the Honolulu Cookie Company. We may wait for our rescheduled November WDW trip to get them at the Poly.

What?!?!?! You can purchase Honolulu Cookie Company cookies at the Poly?
I knew you can get them in certain places on the Mainland like Las Vegas and NYC at Bloomingdales (for the record, they were stale) but I did not know you can get them at WDW!!!!
Thanks for posting this.

The iTunes Store has the album by Keali’i Reichel with some songs played at the Aulani resort called Aulani: Music of the Maka’ala. The album cost $5.99 or you can purchase individual songs. Our family loves listening to the songs when we miss Hawaii. The songs bring back so many wonderful memories of our trips to the Aulani resort and islands.

We too had to cancel our Aulani plans this year. We were scheduled to visit the resort last week, with a stop on the Big Island on our way back home to California. Be safe everyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter