Fast Forward?

Yes, very good programs. We have done it with both kids,and the results were quite amazing even to the skeptical therapists. I highly recommend that you hve it done in a center, and not try to do it at home... that way there is some separation between the cognitive and auditory processing stuff, and the usual kid manipulation and negotiations that happen if you are the one who has to nag your kid. We tried it both ways, it does make a difference. If the kids are resistant, then it is probably hard for them and they will try to avoid it, it can become a struggle between you. Give that hassle to the interns and therapists! ;)

Boy, it sure is expensive. Both of my older two are half-way through the first program. I'm glad we're not doing it at home, but it really wasn't an option: I couldn't monitor both of them and take care of the toddler. :)

I know it's too early to see progress, but it's nice to hear it can be successful. Right now, they are both very motivated.

Anyone else?

Yes, that's it. Very expensive (It looks like our insurance may only pay for 25% of the two programs) and very time-consuming - 2 hours a day/five days a week/ 4-6 weeks per program. But if it works......

I've read conflicting opinions about whether to have a down-time between programs. Many people do the first program one summer and the second program the next. Based on our daughter's age, 10, our SLP recommended doing both programs this summer.

hmmmmm.... I think I would space it out over time, let the benefits of the first round of games start working in everyday life and school. That way, the second round would be more of a booster. It does get boring, and they are kids.... and it is a huge chunk of summer play time. JMO.

Yes, Great programs
We did 1 and 2 or what ever they call it now.
I think it made a big difference in my children. Some of their progress can't be attributed to anything else. Alot of the progress can't be measured by tests. However, their testing scores came up 14 and 17 months. Other people commented about their expressive abilities improving and they weren't aware of the FF program. Reading improvements were seen too. I think FF opens up paths in the brain that for some reason were stagnet. My children aren't severe, but their learning issues caused alot of problems in school and the teachers just never had a clue of what to do.
I would recommend this program(s) highly!!!!!
We did them at HOME!!! I had to provide VERY HIGH INCENTIVES like $$$$$$$$$$ and a lot of it for a 10 year old. We collected it everyday in a jar and then at the end of the program we went to Target and bought all kinds of things they wanted. It was still cheaper in the long run than at the SLP's office. I certainly understand doing it away from home though! There is something to be said for going somewhere and doing it there and getting it over with. There is an understood purpose built in. At times at home, it was hard to get the job done and the incentive kept going up!!!$!!$$!!$$$!!$$$$!!!$$$$$ But, it can be done at home successfully too.
Good luck to all who are going thru it and yes, do it if you are thinking about it!!!

I love the feedback on this board!

It looks like they will only do the first program this summer after all. If they had done both, it would have overlapped with the first month of school also.

Teri, thanks for pointing out that they are still benefits to be reaped from the first program even after it's done. It's so expensive, we decided that we just couldn't afford both programs this summer.

Mickey'sbud, working at home may be an option for us next summer. Did you go through an SLP or just do it yourself (is that even an option?)? If scientific learning would let me monitor the progress myself......

When we did FF at home, we had an SLP oversee the data that I had tranmitted. The SLP was a "provider." Ok better yet, let me tell you the procedure.

(a) We signed up with an SLP, who set up the account for FF/Scientific Learning.
(b) She gave us a CD-ROM to install the FF program and run the program on our computer.
(c) I oversaw the actual use of the FF program. The SLP never came to our house. I sat with my child everyday for 2 hours for the first several days until I felt confident that he would continue without me right next to him. (1) sat by him (2) moved to the sofa and read (3) would leave the room for only moments at a time (4) eventually, I left for most of it. You have to have a pretty independent child to completely leave them with it. They also, have to have a certain amount of drive or self-competition to complete it on their own. I had one child that did and the other did not-requiring more attention.
(d) Everyday I would down-load data to Scientific Learning. This is the data that the SLP would look at about once a week. There's not much need to look at it more than once a week because it takes that long to see patterns of growth.
That's about it in a nutshell.
You learn alot doing it yourself.
By the way, it is a 6-week program has been determined to provide the best possible results when conducted the way they recommend. But, don't get hung up on it being all over at 6-weeks. The company actually gives 6 months. I have heard of several children going beyond 6-weeks or stopping and restarting a few weeks later to reach the desired goals. Now, that being said, it takes a lot of determination to go longer and your child has to be one that can do it. It is the unusual to do so. My kids had a hard time the last week of the 6, because they were starting to burn out. But if you had a major family interuption or thought your child needed to stop to work on an issue, example the SLP wanted to work on something to help the child with FF, then you could stop and start again within 6 months.
Be sure and find out about the length of time. It may have changed since we did the program and I'd hate to mislead you.
If you take your child to an SLP everyday it takes committment. BUT, if you do it yourself at home, it takes far MORE commitment. Plan your time at the same time everyday (It helps your child understand the commitment too). Plan your incentives and they will have to be good ones!!! Plan how you will handle your battles with your child ahead of time to keep down both of your frustrations.
Sound scary??? It CAN be done. I did it and I'm glad we did!!! You can do it too!!!
Scientific Learning was developing an at Home procedure. Contact them for the latest information.
Most of all GOOD LUCK!

That is a good rundown of the routine, thanks. It sounds like they have not changed the procedure since we did it 2 years ago. If your kids will cooperate, doing it at home will probably save you money. My kids needed alot more supervision... I felt trapped, like I couldn't accomplish other things I needed to be doing because I had to be there to make sure the didn't go AFK, or in my son's case, start throwing things. Sitting there watching a kid do the exercises without distracting them verbally (which takes from the attention they are suposed to be giving over to the program) and yet keeping them on track was intensely boring for me, even if I had other things to do. That is just me! I was happy to turn it over to the therapist and her helpers. If you have cooperative kids, doing it at home will probably be fine for you. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter