Never Tell Me The Odds!: From the Hospital Bed to Club 71

Happy Belated Birthday!
Good call delaying Princess. Doing them when you already have so much going on would definitely take away part of the joy of the experience. One of the best things about virtual races is that it's easier to make them work with your schedule and you don't necessarily have to squeeze the race in between other obligations.

Happy Belated Birthday!
Good call delaying Princess. Doing them when you already have so much going on would definitely take away part of the joy of the experience. One of the best things about virtual races is that it's easier to make them work with your schedule and you don't necessarily have to squeeze the race in between other obligations.
Thanks. The delay will also allow me to do some nerdy fun things during the run. Such as posting Princess themed mile markers from previous runDisney races I ran in person as I reach those same mile spots on race day and posting random character photos on social media during the race that either fit the theme or sort of fit the theme (like the time Minnie Mouse wanted me to propose to her many years ago at Disneyland). And it allows more time for an etsy tech shirt to arrive that is insanely nerdy fun, especially for me. I already have one for the half, so now I'm waiting for the 10K one to arrive.

Week ended Saturday February 20, 2020 8.66 miles.

A very busy and hectic week. I knew the miles would take a hit. This week has been worse, but I still have time to change it so it's slightly better.

Sunday 2/14: Planned rest. Thought about getting some miles in, but an early morning church meeting meant that I needed a nap more than I wanted to run.
Monday 2/15: Unplanned rest.
Tuesday 2/16: 3.01 miles in 49:36
Wednesday 2/17: Long day at work. No desire.
Thursday 2/18: 2.7 miles in 45:08. An even longer day than yesterday, but I noticed a possibly troubling trend, so I went out anyways.
Friday 2/19: 2.95 miles in 50:04.
Saturday 2/20: Planned rest due to a whirlwind day and I decided that being tired from an early morning run was not the right call for church related events Saturday evening.

Week ended Saturday February 27, 2021: 7.18 miles. Well, it was not a good week for running. Some spillover from last week, some deliberate decisions to not run for maybe an acceptable reason or two, but also some less than good reasons. The good news is that this week is already trending in the right direction.

Sunday 2/21: 1.84 miles in 1:06:21. I don't know why Strava only shows 34 minutes for this one. I signed my nephews up for the WDW Virtual Kids Races and we did that on Sunday. Various stuffed animals made surprise visits from a backpack and then traded off getting hugged by my nephew. So they both had fun and I now have a Chip and Dale medal. Don't worry as my nephews also have Chip and Dale medals.
Monday 2/22: Nothing. A whirlwind weekend with very "down" time led to me simply wanting to sit down and not have to be anywhere or do anything specific.
Tuesday 2/23: 3.07 miles in 52:03.
Wednesday 2/24: Nothing. My ankle has been acting up for a week or so and I'm a bit paranoid with the Princess virtual races coming up. It's probably time for new shoes.
Thursday 2/25: Nothing. Coped with stress and frustration in a less than ideal way.
Friday 2/26: Nothing. I almost went for a run after work, but my ankle started acting up seconds before I walked in the door.
Saturday 2/27: 2.27 miles in 38:11. Frustration with myself over how the running week unfolded led me to decide that a short, easy run would be more beneficial mentally in light of plans to run the Princess Virtual 10K the next day.

February 2021 total: 56 miles. A big drop from January due in part to no virtual marathon and an uneven last couple of weeks because of life circumstances.

2021 Year to Date: 137.5 miles.

Princess Virtual Races Week ended March 7, 2021: 26.03 miles. As I noted a few weeks ago, the actual weekend that Princess Virtual Half was observed was insane on my end, so I opted to put the races off a couple of weeks in order to hopefully enjoy them. While my social media fun with the races would have made more sense during the originally scheduled dates, the reality is that my experience for the virtual races was immensely better because I could enjoy them for their own sakes instead of having them serve as a source of stress. As a reminder at registration, I opted to register for each race separately so I did not have to run the 10K and Half on back to back days if my always busy February became insanely busy. Which as it turns out, it did although I had no idea at the time.

Also, Strava is making some sort of adjustment that shortens the duration of my runs, so I'm using the Garmin data from Garmin Connect.

Sunday 2/28: Princess Virtual 10K 6.61 miles in 1:47:59. Took it slow because this was about getting the miles in without wiping my legs out too much. Had some social media fun with a few pictures from runDisney weekends past. Watched Beauty and the Beast to celebrate.

Monday 3/1: 2.16 miles in 42:05 as a walk off the tension, loosen up the muscles kind of thing

Tuesday 3/2: Planned rest

Wednesday 3/3: 2.38 miles in 42:24. Taking it easy to gear up for the big one.

Thursday 3/4: Planned rest.

Friday 3/5: Planned rest. Princess Half shirt and medal arrived this day so I did get the enjoy the medal after the race! Still waiting for the 10K shirt and medal to arrive.

Saturday 3/6: Princess Virtual Half Marathon 13.21 miles in 3:35:59. This time I incorporated various Disney songs into my Twitter posts along with themed references to prior runDisney races and brought the unexpected star of my November 2020 Disney World trip shoulder plush baby Yoda from The Mandalorian to join in on the insanity because in order to put a good day in at the office after the run, I needed to wake up earlier than is sane. He did a decent enough job staying on my shoulder for a while before I just decided to carry him since that was easier than having to constantly readjust the magnet. Watched Sleeping Beauty that evening celebrate. I'm always in awe at how beautiful this animated classic looks 60+ years later. They really knew what they were doing. If anyone wants to see my Twitter posts, I'm @sleeplessknYght I don't post much so it shouldn't take long to see my geeking out to runDisney, Princess movies, and of course I had to throw some occasional Star Wars references in there because "hey, it's me" as Han Solo once said.

Sunday 3/7: 1.67 miles in 46:31. My 4 year old nephew was helping me fold my laundry and decided that my athletic socks fit him perfectly. He then announced it was time for a walk, so we took a family walk. Normally, I have to slow down to keep with the group, but today they slowed down to keep up with me. Definitely means I went recovery pace slow.

Lessons learned? If possible, I would like to run the Star Wars Virtual Races on that actual weekend, if only so I can possibly have more geeky fun on the social media side of things. But that will depend on whether or not I can juggle the training load with the workload the next month. Because if something has to give, it's the training load for obvious reasons especially with the races being virtual.

I loved seeing your twitter posts during the races - it was a nice throwback to disney races of the past and when I saw them I hoped that meant you were having fun with the race. Congrats on the 10K and half!
Also, excellent celebration movie choices.

So it's been a while since I've updated. Suffice it to say, covid once again wreaked havoc on my professional life and I found myself generally avoiding things like updating this training journal. Fortunately, the updating is the thing that slipped by the most and my running is starting to come back into form after a hectic summer and some sort of toe injury in early September.

Back in April, I completed the the final Star Wars Half Marathon. I'm really going to miss Star Wars races. The Star Wars Half Marathon in Disneyland helped kick my running back into existence after taking time off due to a major work exam a few years ago. Little did I know that the Rebel Challenge would eventually break down various mental barriers and after a few years I would find myself running my first marathon. Although ironically enough, it was the cancellation of the runDisney races in Anaheim that wound up setting in motion the process that ended up with me running a marathon.

While my pandemic running has been a mixed bag of sorts, the reality is that I've been better at it than I would have anticipated so I'll take that as a win. With the WDW 50th anniversary I decided last summer to dsfitnley run the virtual races for 2022. But as various circumstances, most of which tied to pandemic related work stress, began to hint that my planned post Thanksgiving 2021 WDW trip with friends may be delayed, I began to reevaluate those virtual plans. And before long I found myself abandoning the virtual idea altogether and trading it for the live races at Walt Disney World. Once again, I'm going for Dopey.

In a weird way, I think Dopey helps me enjoy the marathon more. I traditionally have a difficult start to half marathon races. I feel like the first couple of miles and difficult and I question my decision to sign up for the race in the first place. But multi race challenges actually wind up causing those first couple of difficult miles to take place during the 5k and/or 10K and thus leave me in a better mental state for the marathon. I treat the 5K and 10K races essentially as getting back into my running groove before I need to focus.

September training was tricky due to the toe injury and trying to navigate my way through making sure that fully healed and not trying to come back too soon. Not ideal, but I managed to muddle my way through it. October poses additional challenges because it's always a very intense work month and training sometimes needs to take a step back due to those work demands. But with September's injury issues, I could not really allow training to take a step back. For the most part, I'm happy with how October turned out even though I wound up missing one run per week because of work demands or physical and mental exhaustion. But here we are in early November and it's starting to ramp up.

October 2021 Stats: 77 miles, 22 hours.

Week Ended November 6, 2021:

Sunday October 31: planned rest.
Monday November 1st: unplanned rest. Absolutely fried after getting through a work deadline.
Tuesday November 2nd: 4.44 miles.
Wednesday November 3rd: 5.44 miles
Thursday November 4th: 4.44 miles
Friday November 5th: 4.60 miles
Saturday November 6th: 7.60 miles

Made my ADRs for Marathon weekend. Menu changes necessitated finding some hopeful new alternatives for pre race meals, but I think it will be okay. In a surprising turn of events, I got all but one restaurant including Space 220 the day after the marathon. I may still make some tweaks depending on how I feel, but I prefer having ADRs because I know it's a guaranteed sit down and no excessive waiting for my food drama.

I just wanted to say I love the title of your journal (and forgive me for not knowing when it changed--I'm a sporadic journal reader) I adore that attraction and can never hear any line like that in a voice other than Sam Eagle.

I just wanted to say I love the title of your journal (and forgive me for not knowing when it changed--I'm a sporadic journal reader) I adore that attraction and can never hear any line like that in a voice other than Sam Eagle.
My work here is done. That's exactly the voice in which it should be read.

A friend and I used to love to quote Sam Eagle from Muppet Vision all the time in different contexts. And one of my marathon mantras is "stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic."

We discussed whether or not it is distinctly unpatriotic to stop in the middle of the row at Captain EO or Mickey's Philharmagic which led to wondering about what patriotism will be like in the future. I've been known to refer to the 4th of July as "a salute to all nations, but mostly America" and have judged Disney fireworks shows on whether or not they are "glorious 3 hour finales" even if they're only slightly longer than a minute and a half.

As a side note, it turned out that when I ran through Liberty Square during the 2020 Marathon, Sam Eagle was up in his perch and visible in my photos. It was very exciting in a nerdy kind of way.

Monday November 8th: Strength training upper body 9 minutes 47 seconds.
3.44 miles in 59:25

Tuesday November 9th: Leg day 14 minutes 50 seconds.
4.44 miles in 1:15:10

Wednesday November 10th: planned rest

Thursday November 11th: 3.57 miles in 1:01:03. I've been concerned that my outside running has been too fast since I'm supposed to training slow to conserve for race day. This time I actually ran slower so I felt good about that.

Friday November 12th: 4.64 miles in 1:18:33.

Saturday November 13th: 6.04 miles in 1:36:06. This was was a tempo run. Felt like I dragged a little at the end, but I have also learned over the years that it's okay to not push it in training so as to save it for the race itself. The miles matter more right now and pace will take care of itself on race day.

22.13 miles on the week. Perhaps more importantly, second consecutive week of getting all runs in during the week.

The past month has been crazy. Seems like I've always had something going on so it's required a lot of schedule adjusting to get the runs in, but I managed to do it.

Week ended November 20, 2021: 23.6 miles

Monday November 15th: Dealing with intense calf tightness. Opted to rest instead of risk.
Tuesday November 16th: 3.51 miles in 1:01:48.
Wednesday November 17th: 3.49 miles in 1:00:15.
Thursday November 18th: 3.56 miles in 1:01:18.
Friday November 19th: 6.48 miles in 1:49:28.
Saturday November 20th: 6.56 miles in 1:44:21.

Other fun for the week. I went to the BYU Women's Volleyball match on Saturday and saw them win their conference outright. So that was neat. BYU heads to the Big XII when the 2023 school year starts my opportunities to see BYU sports in person out here in California are going to diminish.

Week ended November 27, 2021: 31.07 miles. I knew this week would be crazy and require a whole lot of juggling. I went to Arizona for Thanksgiving so I knew that I would need make the runs a priority and do my best to minimize time away from family.

Sunday November 21st: 4.56 miles in 1:15:45. First day of adjusting. I determined that I had a better chance of completing all runs for the week if I moved 2 runs to before I left for Arizona. If I got two runs in before leaving, then I had a bigger cushion in Arizona.

Monday November 22nd: 6.64 miles in 1:44:01. Left for Arizona a few hours after the run. I haven't seen my 3 year old niece in almost 2 years so she was giving me the stink eye in only the way that 3 year olds can. She wasn't quite sure why everyone else wasn't worried about me. Eventually, she decided that if grandpa (my dad) vouched for me, she would give me a chance.

Tuesday November 23rd: 4.79 miles in 1:16. Figuring out my way around my brother's neighborhood, so it went longer given how far I was from his home when I reached 4 miles.

Wednesday November 24th: 5.52 miles in 1:30:10. My 3 year old niece gave me a big hug before I left for my run so that was nice. She later declared that she didn't like me, she loved me.

Thursday November 25th: Planned rest.

Friday November 26th: 9.56 miles in 2:30:49. So this was the run I most worried about because it was the longest. Especially when I went to bed about 5 hours before I had hoped to start it. I then decided it was good practice for marathon weekend. When I went for my run, my 3 year old niece looked at me and said "you're wearing jammies." When her mom said those are his running clothes, she asked "why is he going running in his jammies?" So now we refer to my runs as Jammie Runs.

Saturday November 27th: Planned rest.

Week ended December 4, 2021: 22.8 miles. Still on target and a semblance of normalcy returning to my running schedule.

Sunday November 28th: Planned rest as I traveled back from Arizona.

Monday November 29th: 3.54 miles in 1:01:33.

Tuesday November 30th: 4.67 miles in 1:15:09.

November total miles: 111.52 miles. High mileage mark for the year and all runs accomplished!

Wednesday December 1st: Planned rest.

Thursday December 2nd: 3.7 miles in 1:03:10.

Friday December 3rd: 4.55 miles in 1:14:59.

Saturday December 4th: 6.35 miles in 1:35:14. This was a tempo run, but I misread the tempo pace so instead of the prescribed 80 seconds run/30 seconds walk, I went for 30/30. But I felt strong after pushing myself so that's good. Still on track.

Week ended December 11, 2021: 23.7 miles. All runs hit. Schedule once again modified.

Sunday December 5th: Planned rest.

Monday December 6th: Unplanned rest. I went to see BYU Women's Soccer in the NCAA College Cup National Championship match. Double overtime thriller that ended in heartbreaking fashion on penalty kicks. Sports can be so, so cruel sometimes. A historic season for BYU Women's Soccer with their first College Cup appearance ever. Going to need to adjust the schedule again, but this is definitely worth it.

Tuesday December 7th: 3.53 miles in 59:23. So I think my pacing is picking up a little bit. Still taking it slow so, but I like seeing pace improve without a tougher effort.

Wednesday December 8th: 3.59 miles in 59:10.

Thursday December 9th: 3.57 miles in 1:00:53.

Friday December 10th: 6.5 miles in 1:45:14. I'm noticing that stress impacts my pace. The work week was defined by interruptions so I think that took an emotional toll on me as the week progressed. I need to be more aware of how I utilize my non work time to help me recover mentally. Right now work is slow, but that changes immediately after I get back from Marathon Weekend. Better to practice mental self care now so I'm in a good habit pattern come January.

Saturday December 11th: 6.52 miles in 1:42:37. I am definitely faster in the morning. I don't know if that's because I'm physically more rested or it there's a bit more of get the run done faster so I can enjoy the rest of the day. I get really tired at work with early mornings, so running after work is better for me. But hey running faster in the morning is better for races, right?

Still where I want to be. Consistency now means a better race weekend experience.

Week ended December 18, 2021: 33.49 miles.

Sunday December 12, 2021: Planned rest.

Monday December 13, 2021: 4.44 miles in 1:14:58. Also did 12 minutes of strength training at the gym since rain forced me indoors.

Tuesday December 14, 2021: 6.29 miles in 1:44:04 once again on the treadmill due to weather.

Wednesday December 15, 2021: Planned rest.

Thursday December 16, 2021: 4.61 miles in 1:14:38 back outside again.

Friday December 17, 2021: 6.52 miles in 1:41:04.

Saturday December 18, 2021: 11.62 miles in 2:53:33.

Week ended December 25, 2021: 25.87 miles. Modified this week to fit Christmas day plans in.

Sunday December 19, 2021: Planned rest.

Monday December 20, 2021: 3.57 miles in 1:01:02.

Tuesday December 21, 2021: 3.44 miles on the treadmill due to weather. Also did 10 minutes of strength training.

Wednesday December 22, 2021: 3.68 miles in 1:00:39. This also marks the beginning of heat training for Marathon Weekend.

Thursday December 23, 2021: 6.47 miles in 1:40:16.

Friday December 24, 2021: 6.53 miles in 1:51:24.

I'm figuring out that as much as I think I run slowly, I have to really focus on not even trying at all to hit the slower paces I'm supposed to be training at and then I'm missing the pace requirements. I've just accepted that I know I can meet the pace on race day so I will keep doing what I'm doing albeit at a deliberately slower pace right now during taper. I think I'm doing heat training right.

Saturday December 25, 2021: 2.18 mile family Christmas light walk in 59:18. So this

I have crossed 100 miles for the month, so I like that. I might even hit a high mileage mark for the year, just edging out November.

Week ended January 1, 2021: 19.6 miles. Next up is Dopey!

Sunday December 26th: Planned rest.
Monday December 27th: 3.7 miles in 1:05:07.

Tuesday December 28th: 5.01miles in 1:17:20. After I misread the timing of my previous tempo races, I actually ran this one at the prescribed 80 seconds run/30 seconds walk pacing. Went fine. In a weird way, I may actually run faster with the 30/30 run/walk split. But maybe not.

Wednesday December 29th: Planned rest. Also known as The Book of Boba Fett Day! I liked the first chapter. It did feel like some character exposition took more time than I would have liked, but I also recognize that the character development is necessary in this case and the series cannot jump right into the story.

Thursday December 30th: 3.63 miles in 1:00:12.

Friday December 31st: 3.65 miles in 1:01:35.

December 2021 miles: 113.64 and a new mileage high for the year.

2021 Total Miles: 689 miles. Second highest yearly mileage ever and a nice improvement over both 2019 and 2020 which came in at 480 miles in 2019 and 413.5 miles in 2020.

January 1, 2022: 3.61 miles in 59:30. I started out way too fast, but didn't feel like it. So after mile 2, I decided to walk the rest of the way to keep myself slower.

I had planned to go to the movies a lot this week, but with the rising numbers and the more important Disney World time coming, I opted to alter that plan to give myself the best chances I can of being fully healthy at Disney World. I will be two weeks removed from my booster shot on Wednesday so I've done all I can.

Heading into Marathon Weekend, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed due to stress. I desperately need time away from the office and hopefully I will be able to leave the office at the office and just enjoy Disney World. I also recognize that I can work on my mental attitude between now and the Goofy portions of Dopey to hopefully be in a good place mentally for the races.

Long have I waited to finally update this training journal. I may actually follow through on a brief trip report of Marathon weekend at the beginning of the year, but in case I don't the short version is that I did it. Again. Even managed to knock 10 minutes off my PR from 2019.

I hope to update more consistently than I have been. Maybe that will keep me better motivated. One of my challenges is that running is a major sacrifice during February through April and will usually be the first thing to cut back on as the work stress mounts and free time diminishes rapidly. This year was no different although I got the occasional runs in. Nothing special, but also better than nothing.

In May the pressure is off, but then the battle between wanting to do nothing after months of non stop pressure and resuming running takes place. And this year that battle spread out into June as well, but with Dopey 2023 on the horizon, I knew that it was time to get after it. July was a much better month so I feel like I'm back on course, but now need to maintain it.

Week ended July 30, 2022:

Sunday July 24th: planned rest.
Monday July 25th: 3.57 miles in 1:00:09
Tuesday July 26th: 3.52 miles in 59:04
Wednesday July 27th: planned rest.
Thursday July 28th: 3.61 miles in 1:01:58
Friday July 29th 3.61 miles in 58:58
Saturday July 30th 5.16 miles in 1:26:54.

For July, I wanted to get back up to 3 mile maintenance runs and slowly work up to longer runs on the weekends. I still need to do the virtual Springtime Surprise races after illness forced me to postpone them back in April. So most of my maintenance runs for the month were in the 3 mile range and I did get some longer runs in on Saturdays to end the month. I had hoped that Saturday the 30th would be a true 5 mile run, but I either pushed myself too hard to start the run, or was too tired after a bad Friday's night sleep and a post 11:00am start, but for whatever reason I nearly capped the run at 3 miles, but decided to keep going for one more mile. After 4 miles, I didn't like how I was feeling, so I settled on a compromise of sorts. I will still get to 5 miles, but I will walk the last mile.

Weekly miles: 19.47

Monthly miles: 60.56 (second highest monthly mileage for the year behind only a Dopey filled January. So it's my most consistent running month of the year. Should be a solid enough start to Dopey training in earnest.

Year to date miles: 250.71

Random fun thing I did this week: I went to a Thursday night screening of DC League of Superpets. I was looking forward to this because the glorious fun of Dwayne The Rock Johnson voicing Superman's dog. This almost guaranteed fun. The great news is that while The Rock did indeed live up to my expectations of fun, I thought the movie had a lot of heart in exploring what pets, but especially dogs mean to us, all the while having a lot of fun with the premise of superhero powered animals. I was laughing and smiling a lot. The Rock was awesome as Krypto and Kevin Hart did a great job holding his own with his Ace reminding Krypto why being a dog matters so much. If anyone reading this has kids and/or loves dogs, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Kids will enjoy the energy and superpets aspect and I found a lot of inside jokes to various DC properties even though I've read maybe DC comics my whole life, all Batman.

In fact I daresay it's my second favorite comic book movie of the year behind only The Batman.

Training continues. The real buildup for Dopey really kicks off in October once work allows for long runs, but right now it's about keeping the base so I can be ready for those days. I've done it before so I know how it works. I'm used to it although I often need to remind myself of that.

August miles: 57.37. I took a week off for vacation although lots of walking took place during that vacation. Then I brought back a cold so that required a bit more rest.

Week ended September 3, 2022: 7.61 miles and 2 days at Disneyland!

Week ended September 10, 2022: 4.59 miles, 1 day at Disneyland, and then recovery from Disneyland.

Week ended September 17, 2022: 19.3 miles

Week ended September 24, 2022: 19.11 miles

September 18: 3.68 miles in 58:02.
September 19: 3.68 miles in 1:00:29.
September 20: no run
September 21: 3.56 miles in 1:01:05.
September 22: no run
September 23: 3.6 miles in 59:13
September 24: 4.62 miles in 1:15:11

The week could have been better, but it also could have been much worse. I've been under a lot of work pressure this month which is normal and am dealing with life stuff which can derail running if I'm not careful so sometimes just getting out there may constitute victory if I'm more consistent than not.

Better late than never update from me. I usually fall into life patterns where the rest of life is crazy, but I still manage to fit running in. Probably only because I have a race coming up. After 2020 and 2021 wreaked all sorts of havoc with vacations, I'm taking a lot more time off this year just to feel like I'm not living under constant work pressure.

September 2022: 57.58 miles

October 2022: 77.01 miles

November 2022: 86.26 miles

Week ended December 3, 2022. Spent the week in Disney World so rope drop/close to open to park close every day and that combination of early mornings and late nights meant no runs took place. Since my Disney step count is almost always much higher than exercise days, this has usually not had too much negative impact on my running.

Sunday November 27: 28,925 steps
Monday November 28: 27,096 steps
Tuesday November 29: 20,812 steps
Wednesday November 30: 29,872 steps
Thursday December 1: 23,989 steps
Friday December 2: 22,828 steps
Saturday December 3: 26,611 steps

Disney World thoughts: I need to go back again during the holidays. In 2012 for the Wine & Dine Half, the holidays were not in full force yet. 2020 was pandemic so decorations only. I was there with friends so I didn't get anywhere near as much time in Epcot with the Festival of the Holidays as I would have liked. But there's never truly enough time to do everything you want to there anyways. I did Candlelight, which was amazing as always. I prefer Disneyland because the processional starts at It's a Small World and goes all the way to the end of Main Street so it just feels different. Epcot does offer the Voices of Liberty which is amazing.

I likewise enjoyed MVMCP. I will say this. If characters are important to you, you need two nights to experience everything the party has to offer. The character lines get long. We got an extra character meet in for my friends' kids because I stayed in the line for Belle while they got in the line for Ariel. So splitting up can help you get more characters in, but the tradeoff is that not everyone in the party is going to be in all the character photos. If rides and shows are all that matter, you should be able to do a lot. If characters are important and you only have one night, then do your research, make a plan, and determine your priorities understanding that you may not be able to do everything. We had a good mix of characters and shows. No time for rides because of our focus on the first two.

Also, this reminds me of one of my rules for more fun with characters. Dress for success. Giving them one more thing to talk about with you can really elevate the experience. I was wearing a Star Wars shirt which led to a very memorable moment in which I discussed lightsabers and my friends in a galaxy far, far away with Prince Phillip and Princess Aurora. I enjoyed describing Star Wars in 14th century terms and their efforts to play along all while remaining completely in character. Combining my favorite two movies ever is always extra nerdy fun for me and to do it with the characters from one of those movies really made it better.

Week ended December 10, 2022. 26.27 miles

Sunday December 4: No run. Waking up at 3:00am for a 7:10am flight out of Orlando is a whole lot less enjoyable than waking up at 3:00am for a runDisney race.

Monday December 5: 6.07 miles in 1:31:49 at Marathon Tempo.

In an effort to work on my mental preparation, I focused on dismissing "negative" thoughts whenever I thought how difficult this particular run might be given that I would be doing after a week at Disney World when I was already tired. I reminded myself that running on tired legs after a week at Disney World is in its own right a preparation for running the Marathon as part of Dopey. I'm pleased with how this run went and felt. It was not a slog that I struggled to get through.

Tuesday December 6: Planned rest.
Wednesday December 7: 3.65 miles in 1:00:46
Thursday December 8: 3.44 treadmill miles in 59:03.
Friday December 9: 6.64 miles in 1:44:23.
Saturday December 10: 6.47 miles in 1:37:17. Ran this one in rain since I decided that I did not want to try running in significant rain for the first time ever in a race if it rains that weekend. I hope I don't have to, but as E says in The Incredibles "Luck favors the prepared."

Currently in progress: final big week of Dopey.

I enjoyed describing Star Wars in 14th century terms and their efforts to play along all while remaining completely in character. Combining my favorite two movies ever is always extra nerdy fun for me and to do it with the characters from one of those movies really made it better.
Have you heard of "William Shakespeare's Star Wars" by Ian Doescher? He uses the Star Wars plots and general person to person dialog, but rewrites it in Shakespearean language (sometimes lifting whole lines over in a well integrated way). I'm currently going through the audiobooks and just finished Episode 5, but I think he did all 9. Seems like something you might appreciate.

Have you heard of "William Shakespeare's Star Wars" by Ian Doescher? He uses the Star Wars plots and general person to person dialog, but rewrites it in Shakespearean language (sometimes lifting whole lines over in a well integrated way). I'm currently going through the audiobooks and just finished Episode 5, but I think he did all 9. Seems like something you might appreciate.
Those are so much fun. One of the best things is at a Star Wars Celebration a few years ago, Shakesperean actor Ian McDiarmid who also played the Emperor read The Jedi Doth Return Palpatine final scene.

Back in the saddle again. A timely update from me for once plus a new title for this journal. At least for a couple of weeks.

Week ended December 17, 2022: 30.81 miles. Last long run for 2022 is in the books.

Sunday December 11, 2022: planned rest.
Monday December 12, 2022: 4.5 miles in 1:13:09
Tuesday December 13, 2022: 5.45 miles in 1:27:34
Wednesday December 14, 2022: planned rest
Thursday December 15, 2022: 4.65 miles in 1:16:44
Friday December 16, 2022: 4.61 miles in 1:16:05

Saturday December 17, 2022: 11.61 miles in 2:56:28. A rough night's sleep made for sleeping in later than I wanted to. But I suppose a rough night's sleep is good practice for Dopey, right? Race went fine. I also tested some potential new running gear for marathon weekend depending on what the weather does and it worked. I also decided to test the Goofy Sourball candies that Disney sells to see how they work as a late in the pick me up when I'm tired of tasting race fuel, bananas, and powerade. They passed so that's good.

Weather around here has taken a turn for the colder at least for northern California.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter