FAQ: Flying Out of Buffalo OR Detroit

Hi friends! Wondering if anyone has flown with Frontier out of Buffalo recently? I’m looking at maybe going down for a week in May, and with my dates, the flight times and prices are the best with Frontier out of Buffalo. I’ve had mixed experiences with Frontier, but have only flown with them out of Detroit. I’m a bit worried flying out of Buffalo since there’s significantly less flights there, should something happen. Just wondering if anyone has some recent experiences with this flight or if it’s really worth the extra $300-$500 to fly with someone else out of DTW/YYZ? Thanks!
Friends of ours were supposed to fly Frontier out of Buffalo over March Break. One hour before the flight, it was cancelled and were told the next available flight was Wednesday. They ended up paying triple the price. It’s a crapshoot

Friends of ours were supposed to fly Frontier out of Buffalo over March Break. One hour before the flight, it was cancelled and were told the next available flight was Wednesday. They ended up paying triple the price. It’s a crapshoot
Oh boy…that’s definitely what I’m afraid of 😬 thanks

I see no reason to fly out of Buffalo/Detroit unless you life in Windsor or Niagara. I live in Mississauga 15 mins to YYZ and off to Disney. I might be the only one that values the stability of AC or Westjet and now Porter. Never been bumped or flights cancelled. Saving a few hundred is like playing Russian Roulette with some budget US airlines.

I see no reason to fly out of Buffalo/Detroit unless you life in Windsor or Niagara. I live in Mississauga 15 mins to YYZ and off to Disney. I might be the only one that values the stability of AC or Westjet and now Porter. Never been bumped or flights cancelled. Saving a few hundred is like playing Russian Roulette with some budget US airlines.
Not all US airlines are budget and are still hundreds less.

Not all US airlines are budget and are still hundreds less.
I've not seen any significant savings flying out of buffalo vs yyz. In fact every time I check and factor in the exchange rate buffalo is more expensive. For us it is way more convenient flying out off yyz even if we could save a few bucks.

I've not seen any significant savings flying out of buffalo vs yyz. In fact every time I check and factor in the exchange rate buffalo is more expensive. For us it is way more convenient flying out off yyz even if we could save a few bucks.
I'm sorry that's how it's worked out for you. I always search all my options and have gotten better deals from Buffalo sometimes and sometimes from toronto. I always shop around just like for any other big purchases

I'm sorry that's how it's worked out for you. I always search all my options and have gotten better deals from Buffalo sometimes and sometimes from toronto. I always shop around just like for any other big purchases
Same. I have seen better prices out of Detroit (with Delta, not a no-frills airline, once over $2K cheaper for 4 after conversion to CAD), and rarely, cheaper out of YYZ with Westjet. If you're very close to YYZ, it's probably a no brainer, but if you have to drive a couple of hours to any airport, I much prefer crossing the border by land.

It could be the time of year we were booking. Maybe I'll have better luck on the next trip :) Google flights seems to be a good tool for comparing the prices at different airlines.

Same. I have seen better prices out of Detroit (with Delta, not a no-frills airline, once over $2K cheaper for 4 after conversion to CAD), and rarely, cheaper out of YYZ with Westjet. If you're very close to YYZ, it's probably a no brainer, but if you have to drive a couple of hours to any airport, I much prefer crossing the border by land.

We are about 45 mins from both Pearson and Buffalo so we always look at both. I have been finding the last couple years that it has actually been cheaper to fly from Pearson once you do the exchange. I'm flying SW next month out of BUF but I'm going solo and had travel credits otherwise it would've been Pearson. I absolutely hate Pearson though so I always pray for BUF. :rotfl2:

I live in Windsor so from my driveway to parking at DTW, is about 30-40 minutes depending on traffic and the border.

I can say I will NEVER fly with Air Canada ever again. Between delays, lost baggage, and the run around from agents, Ill drive anywhere before giving AC another dime of my money. Plus, add on the mess of Pearson into the mix, and its a recipe for disaster.

I live in Windsor so from my driveway to parking at DTW, is about 30-40 minutes depending on traffic and the border.

I can say I will NEVER fly with Air Canada ever again. Between delays, lost baggage, and the run around from agents, Ill drive anywhere before giving AC another dime of my money. Plus, add on the mess of Pearson into the mix, and its a recipe for disaster.
I love DTW and wish I lived closer. YYZ is a zoo, parking costs almost as much as my flight, and it's a crapshoot as to whether my car will still be there when I return from my trip.

DTW is fantastic to fly out of, lots of descent hotels that offer Fly and Park deals if your driving in the day before etc. I have never had issues with Delta flights they are a great carrier.

DTW is fantastic to fly out of, lots of descent hotels that offer Fly and Park deals if your driving in the day before etc. I have never had issues with Delta flights they are a great carrier.

Same. Spirit and Delta are the only two that fly direct from DTW.

Southwest RARELY has direct flights out of DTW.

I do whatever I can not to fly out of YYZ. DTW, London and Hamilton are all much better options and usually cheaper. I’ve also flown lots of budget airlines and luckily have never had an issue. We usually go Spirit out of DTW but with the prices these days it is looking like SW might be the better option even though there are no direct flights for our dates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter