Fantasy Door Latches

I❤MICKEY

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me if the cabin doors on the Fantasy have a latch? The doors didn't on the Magic and I was very worried about my kids getting out. Debating on an inside cabin which would mean that the kids would be closer to the door while sleeping. Any insight is appreciated.

Do you mean a lock or a deadbolt? I can't believe that the doors on the Magic don't latch shut. That seems very, very odd.

On the Fantasy the door was like a hotel room with a regular latch doorknob and a deadbolt.

Do you mean a lock or a deadbolt? I can't believe that the doors on the Magic don't latch shut. That seems very, very odd.

On the Fantasy the door was like a hotel room with a regular latch doorknob and a deadbolt.

The deadbolt is exactly what I meant. I thought it was crazy the Magic didn't have them. Hopefully it is something they will consider during the refurb. Seems like a no brainer.

I may be misremembering so hopefully someone can clarify...I believe that although they do have a deadbolt you just pull the door handle down and it will unlatch. IIRC the deadbolt was more to stop people from coming in than going out.
I did read one review where someone commented that their child did accidentally leave the cabin, so they moved the trunk in front of the door from then on.

I may be misremembering so hopefully someone can clarify...I believe that although they do have a deadbolt you just pull the door handle down and it will unlatch. IIRC the deadbolt was more to stop people from coming in than going out.
I did read one review where someone commented that their child did accidentally leave the cabin, so they moved the trunk in front of the door from then on.

That may be true. I can't honestly remember. I don't have any wandering toddlers anymore so it wasn't a concern for us.

I❤MICKEY;48013312 said:
The deadbolt is exactly what I meant. I thought it was crazy the Magic didn't have them. Hopefully it is something they will consider during the refurb. Seems like a no brainer.

Here's a picture of the door handle/dead bolt inside the room. The handle is on top with a latch on the bottom to dead bolt the door. But it's not designed to stop anyone from getting out, only from getting in.

24nmx3a.jpg

I believe that although they do have a deadbolt you just pull the door handle down and it will unlatch.
Although I always double lock the door whenever I'm in my stateroom, I always exit by just pulling down on the handle. It automatically disengages the deadbolt at the same time.

I am thinking of getting 2 staterooms on my next trip, but we will have children with us. I have been trying to figure out this same issue, although the children are 13 and 8, I may not have a real problem.

Here's a picture of the door handle/dead bolt inside the room. The handle is on top with a latch on the bottom to dead bolt the door. But it's not designed to stop anyone from getting out, only from getting in.

Thank you. Personally, I think this was a planning/design flaw. DCL missed the mark. :(

I❤MICKEY;48023490 said:
Personally, I think this was a planning/design flaw. DCL missed the mark. :(

I disagree. Like most design trade-offs, there are usually several considerations. I believe that having the door handle automatically disengage the deadbolt allows for more rapid egress from the cabin in the event of an emergency requiring rapid evacuation (e.g., fire). In my opinion, had the designers gone with your preferred solution (separate deadbolt release) you would create a situation where a panicked passenger could waste time trying to get out of the cabin by turnng the door handle before realizing that the deadbolt needed to be released in addition to turning the handle (note that critical thinking during emergencies is not always effective).

So, the trade-off is a toddler getting into the passageway vs. a simpler and quicker emergency evacuation. I tend to think that, in general, safety considerations have more weight in the decision making process than inconvenience. So, I think that they made this decision correctly.

I'll bet it was intentional. In case of serious emergency they probably want to be able to enter all staterooms.

I disagree. Like most design trade-offs, there are usually several considerations. I believe that having the door handle automatically disengage the deadbolt allows for more rapid egress from the cabin in the event of an emergency requiring rapid evacuation (e.g., fire). In my opinion, had the designers gone with your preferred solution (separate deadbolt release) you would create a situation where a panicked passenger could waste time trying to get out of the cabin by turnng the door handle before realizing that the deadbolt needed to be released in addition to turning the handle (note that critical thinking during emergencies is not always effective).

So, the trade-off is a toddler getting into the passageway vs. a simpler and quicker emergency evacuation. I tend to think that, in general, safety considerations have more weight in the decision making process than inconvenience. So, I think that they made this decision correctly.

Yeah. Even as a mom of six (inquisitive & busy) kids, I'd have to say I agree with this.

We also have reserved inside staterooms and will be contending with the same layout and concerns. Maybe setting up the stroller inside the doorway would be a good deterrent?

If your really worried you could always pick up an alarm from any hardware store attach a magnetic strip so you don't use the sticky and ruin the door one attaches to moulding other to door you could attach it only at night when they seperate from each other they beep like a smoke alarm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter