Fantasmic! Dinner Package...was it worth it?

Scottwdw

Photographer
Last Tuesday, October 22nd, my family and I visited Disney-MGM Studios all day. We ate a late lunch at 3pm at Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater. Our plan was to attend Fantasmic! that evening and eat dinner back at our resort.

We figured it wouldn't be too crowded being in the middle of the week and late October. Boy, were we wrong! People started streaming to the queue area at 6pm. By 6:45pm when we started walking up Sunset Blvd., CMs were telling people Standing Room Only was all that was left.

My DDs and I decided we'd much rather ride Rock'n Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror instead of standing for the next hour and a half. My DW, SIL and 4 year old nephew went in because my SIL would not get another chance to see it.

On Thursday morning, I called WDW Dining from our room and made Fantasmic! Dinner Package PS for 7 at Hollywood & Vine for Saturday. Had no problems but was told H&V does not have characters for dinner. That was fine. They needed a credit card to hold the reservation which came to around $169 and included tax and tip. About $24 a person for an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet plus guaranteed seating at Fantasmic!.

Our PS was for 5:40 PM. Upon getting seated, our server handed us a voucher for the Fantasmic! seating. He signed it after we paid our bill later. :) BTW, Hollywood & Vine is a great buffet! I'll be reviewing it in detail on my site soon. He told us to be at the front of the park (near Oscar's gas station) around 7pm.

After some last minute shopping :rolleyes:, I convened our group at Oscar's a little after 7pm. There is a sign there pointing to the doors where the parade ends. CMs check the voucher and lets you through. Just before entering the Fantasmic! theater, another CM verifies the voucher and lets you in. It's a good 5 minute walk from the doors to the theater.

Seating is the last two sections (from front to back) to the right of the stage. During the show, we would miss a few key momments but all in all the seating was just fine. We were about 10 rows back from the front and had great views of the character boats as they appeared. We were misted a couple of times but that was all. And, we didn't have to wait for over an hour to get the seats! My wife and I both agreed it was worth the extra money.

Now, here's a tip for off peak travelers who want to see Fantasmic! During this time of the year, MK only has SpectroMagic and Fireworks on Saturdays. Fantasmic! didn't seem as full when we attended last Saturday and could only determine the reason was SpectroMagic. People were still finding seats available with less than 10 minutes before the show.

For peak travellers, I would highly recommend the Fantasmic! Dinner package but, unless you really like Mama Melrose's or The Brown Derby, you get your best value from Hollywood and Vine's buffet meal, IMHO. :D

Thanks for the input, Scott. We're leaving in a few days and I'm still debating as to whether or not I do the Fantasmic package. It worked well the last time we were there (the prior, no advance payment package) and I'm inclined to do it again. I just hate all that paying up front stuff....no flexibility!

Scott, we did the package the night after you. I had called Disney Dining before we left to see what the regular prices were for the buffet and it was $19.99. So with tip added onto the bill it worked out to the same amount. I booked it before we left, but was not charged for it until the night we went, so they are just taking cc numbers to hold the ressie.

BTW, it was also packed on Wednesday night also after about and hour and a half of thunderstorms and downpours. We were lucky to even be able to do the package. But we did pay for it in the end though, because someone hit our rental car in the parking lot and when DH went to get into the passenger side the door wouldn't open! I guess you win some and lose some.

We just came back from WDW and saw Fantasmic on Sunday, oct 27th. It was the 7pm show. We dined at the Brown Derby at 5pm without any dinner package. We ate at an usual pace and left for Fantasmic shortly after 6pm. Got to the theatre around 630pm and got the Pocahontas section. The view was great from there.

I was told by my agent that Sunday show is usually slow.... That was my first time so I cannot confirm that.

We did the Fantasmic package and it was ok. If you do go on a Sat. and seating wasn't an issue, why would you pay for the package when it wasn't needed? The buffet was good, but if your watching your money, save it for some other days and just wait it out for a seat in myopinion. If your really worried, do the package and play it safe.;)

After Tuesday's experience, we didn't want to miss the show and I didn't put the SpectroMagic effect into consideration until we saw it happening. Again, IMO, if it's a busy time of year, I would do this again.

We used Fantasmic package at H & V near end of July. The nite we were there actually had 2 shows (first we had seen it on the boards at MGM and we had gone about 6 different days). Consequently we could have hit the 2nd show with no problem except being physically exhausted by that time.

Instead we did H & V. DS decided he didn't want to see the show so he headed back to Swan. DD & I went to Fantasmic and I am sure there were better views down near the front in the regular area but it was so nice tojust walk right in. I get sick in the midst of a big crowd so we managed to get an end seat.

After the show we just walked over to T o T and RnR and rode- no wait on either. (Actually ToT said 13 minute wait- I wonder if that is the shortest time they display - lucky #13!). I thought they would be closed when we came out but no!

Then a leisurely stroll back down to the front gate and we were back to the Swan around the time the 2nd show was starting.

I would not hesitate to do it again. We spent close to the same amount just eating at Prime Time and for this we got the seating with no wait.

I could swear my CC was already charged for Fantasmic package, now I have to go pull my bills and check.

I could swear my CC was already charged for Fantasmic package, now I have to go pull my bills and check. Actually, just got off with DINE, and it is pre-paid.

Scott,

I am eagerly awaiting you H&V review. I just booked the Fantasmic package and H&V was the only available restaurant.

We have never eaten at a dinner buffet. I am curious as to what the catch of the day entree was when you were there. My DH is not a big meat eater.

And let's not forget the dessert selections.

Thank you for your post. It was your take on the crowd that made me try for a Dinner Package again. I have tried unsuccessfully to get a BD package. I have one DS who qualifies as an adult, so the price at H&V is more palatable. I am just worried about the quality/freshness of the selections.

We are going on the Monday prior to Thanksgiving Day so I am guessing it will be crowded. I liked that you and your wife thought it well worth it. That convinced me to pick up the phone!

Thanks,
penny

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter