Family's First Trip to DL - Double Stroller Advice

4th Gen Disney Fan

Disneyland Fiend
Hey Guys - My family will be going on our first vacation to DL on June 2. I grew up in LA and have been dozens of times but this will be my first trip as a father. I have 2 young sons that will share a double stroller. We bought it especially for this trip but have been using it since we bought it for every day activities. It's a side by side jogging stroller with 3 wheels. It is quite wide at 32.25 inches across. Is this too wide for the park? Will we have issues getting in? I'm not too concerned with any crowds as we are going at the very beginning of busy season. Plus, it is very maneuverable. I'm just concerned with whether or not it's too wide.

Doesn't sound too bad to me. I am taking my new double. It is about 30" wide. I would just recommend leaving it outside when you go into stores. :thumbsup2

I kinda figured it would be too wide for stores. My concern is with the turn styles/entry ways. I know that they have guidelines in place about sizing, but they also have to accommodate motorized wheelchairs. Some of those are much bigger than my stroller.

Thanks for the reply!

I saw some real massive ones a mont back so I'm sure you'll be fine. Just make sure when you go to the park to go through the gate on the far right, by the stroller rentals. And as OP suggested, don't venture into stores haha. Have a wonderful time!

Hey Guys - My family will be going on our first vacation to DL on June 2. I grew up in LA and have been dozens of times but this will be my first trip as a father. I have 2 young sons that will share a double stroller. We bought it especially for this trip but have been using it since we bought it for every day activities. It's a side by side jogging stroller with 3 wheels. It is quite wide at 32.25 inches across. Is this too wide for the park? Will we have issues getting in? I'm not too concerned with any crowds as we are going at the very beginning of busy season. Plus, it is very maneuverable. I'm just concerned with whether or not it's too wide.

We have a double stroller like you're describing and you'll be fine with it. There will be some limitations as to where you can go with it such as through some doorways but for the most part you'll be fine. You'll be able to go through stores but of course some isles may be tighter than others and you won't be able to walk down some because of the layout and how narrow some of the isles are. As far as walking with crowds, we went a couple of years ago when DLR and DCA reached capacity and they actually stopped selling tickets and it was basically one out, one in policy. You can imagine how crowded it must have been with that policy in effect and we had the double stroller. When it starts getting that crowded, there really isn't much you can do when walking through the crowds except to be patient and respectful of everybody's space as much as possible. We didn't bump our stroller into anybody but of course when using a double stroller, if you start getting stuck in walking traffic, it's not like you can just pick up a double stroller with 2 kids and step aside so basically, you'll have to rely on people realizing this and they need to move aside. ;)

I went to DL several times with my twin daughters and found that two strollers worked so much better than a twin stroller. After the first time with the double, we never used it for DL again. JMHO

I agree with nannyz. Single strollers work so much better and allow you to move about more freely. Also, you don't take up so much room across for people near you to get around etc. It can be very frustrating for others when behind these huge strollers.
Anyway, highly recommend the singles for your's and everyone else's comfort.

I kinda figured it would be too wide for stores. My concern is with the turn styles/entry ways. I know that they have guidelines in place about sizing, but they also have to accommodate motorized wheelchairs. Some of those are much bigger than my stroller.

Thanks for the reply!

You should fit through the gates just fine. :goodvibes

I went to DL several times with my twin daughters and found that two strollers worked so much better than a twin stroller. After the first time with the double, we never used it for DL again. JMHO

This may be the case if you just have the 2, but we found 2 strollers plus 2 walking kids waaaay too cumbersome. A double allowed one parent to take the big kids on a ride while the other parent could take the 2 little ones elsewhere. Our double broke in the parks one trip and forced us to use 2 singles and I have to say NEVER AGAIN!

OP, we had a similar stroller and never had a problems with DL's gates. DCA's gates used to be too narrow and we were directed through the large side gates to enter, but the new DCA gates are wide enough.

Thank you everyone for the tips! I really appreciate it!

To the couple folks that recommended I just get 2 single strollers: Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole reason I purchased a double stroller in the first place? I bought it solely for our trip to SoCal this Summer. We didn't pay $300 to leave it at the hotel and rent 2 singles!

We use it practically every day for errands and it comes in real handy. I just never took into consideration whether or not DL could accommodate their size. It was only after I read a few different message boards that I realized DL has regulations on this.

I had read that they use a box similar to some airlines that your stroller has to fit in or else they won't let it on the trams. We are staying right across the street so I wasn't worried about that. Then I wondered if the entryways to the park itself would be an issue.

That's when I created an account on this site JUST to ask that question! I have since read a few other threads about different topics that I'm now very glad that I joined!

Thank you all for "recruiting" me and thanks again for the responses! You've been most helpful!:thumbsup2

The Disboards are a wealth of information!! Just to put my two cents in we were there two weeks ago with our 5 girls and double jogger. We fit just fine in both parks in through the gates! :goodvibes Be careful of the tracks on Main street though our front wheel got stuck in it and we had to lift it out. Just something to help you navigate through the busy streets! LOL!

We got a used city mini double last summer and will cram our kids in this until they are to big to fit ;) We had a double peg pergo but the frame got bent on one of our trips probably airport.

We love it and its easier to push our kids 4 and 5.5. I appreciate the idea of two single strollers but the one allows us to take drinks and snacks with the bottom carriage.

As with anywhere now a days....large crowds require lots of patients so we just go with the flow.

Thank you everyone for the tips! I really appreciate it!

To the couple folks that recommended I just get 2 single strollers: Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole reason I purchased a double stroller in the first place? I bought it solely for our trip to SoCal this Summer. We didn't pay $300 to leave it at the hotel and rent 2 singles!

We use it practically every day for errands and it comes in real handy. I just never took into consideration whether or not DL could accommodate their size. It was only after I read a few different message boards that I realized DL has regulations on this.

I had read that they use a box similar to some airlines that your stroller has to fit in or else they won't let it on the trams. We are staying right across the street so I wasn't worried about that. Then I wondered if the entryways to the park itself would be an issue.

That's when I created an account on this site JUST to ask that question! I have since read a few other threads about different topics that I'm now very glad that I joined!

Thank you all for "recruiting" me and thanks again for the responses! You've been most helpful!:thumbsup2

We are the grandparents that visit DLR without the kids and grandkids :hippie:
Been there, done that and pass the baton down to families like yours. We love not having to deal with the kids/grands on our trips.

We just had fun in the parks the first week of May and found that the double strollers were NOT a problem at all. There are several areas that are designated as stroller parking in very stragic areas. You can park and visit several attractions, resturants or stores in the surrounding areas go back and get the stroller and move on to the next area you wish to visit.

We never had problems with families running us over with their stroller or bumping into us, no rudness at all. Main street can get pretty busy at times with all the people and strollers but if you move out to the street instead of the sidewalk it is easier to get around.

DH made a comment on more than one occasion on seeing a kiddo passed out in the stroller that he thought that was a great idea, little one taking a nap and mom and dad still get to enjoy the park.

There is a gate between the turnstiles that they open to let the stroller through. We did not see anyone turned away because the stroller was too big in the 8 days we were there.

Take the stroller and enjoy the parks with you boys, they grow up way to fast :love:

My personal experience is that the park is too small for the side by side double strollers. On our trip in April there were kids in a fright as they were being pushed through the moving traffic of people trying to get by. At some points, when the crowds are gathering for the parade, the area that pedestrians are moving is barely the width of the double strollers turning the area into single file in one direction, directed by the double wide rather then people able to move back and forth. Many parents do well with one in a stroller, one carried walking or in a backpack or front pack.

At 32", that is only about 6" wider than a standard wheelchair. So, it really isn't that big. Pushing any type of stroller takes patience in a crowd, because people try to shove around you. It is the same with a wheelchair or an ECV. Doesn't really make a difference if it is a single or a double. At least with a double you can take turns pushing. :thumbsup2

... Single strollers work so much better and allow you to move about more freely. Also, you don't take up so much room across for people near you to get around etc. It can be very frustrating for others when behind these huge strollers.
Anyway, highly recommend the singles for your's and everyone else's comfort.
Totally disagree! Two strollers is twice as much trouble. Only thing worse than walking behind one person with one big stroller is walking behind two people with two strollers who are trying to stay together. As for those who are trying to rush around the stroller and/or family, their hurry and rush does not become the stroller pushers problem. Your poor planning or high excitability doesn't make an emergency for me. Personally, I've never had an issue getting around at DL even with double strollers, huge wheelchairs, ECVs or anything else, except when I've been in too big of a rush and moved when I shouldn't have. That is MY fault, not theirs.

...As with anywhere now a days....large crowds require lots of patients so we just go with the flow.
:thumbsup2 That is what it all comes down to, isn't it?!

...Pushing any type of stroller takes patience in a crowd, because people try to shove around you...
Sometimes with seemingly no thought at all to their own physical well being. I also love those that race and shove to get past and then STOP right in front of you and have the nerve to give you the dirty look because they stopped, or even turned around, right in front of me. I know you have to stop sometimes (to look at a map, get your bearing, take a call, whatever!) but you can't do that right in the middle of walkway.

I just had another thought to share on strollers.
I would not use a small umbrella stroller with a very young child or a baby. They will get practically smothered by people around them.
We use bigger strollers that have side protection.

I just had another thought to share on strollers.
I would not use a small umbrella stroller with a very young child or a baby. They will get practically smothered by people around them.
We use bigger strollers that have side protection.

Yes, I'd skip the umbrella type strollers at DL. It is too long of a day not to have any real support.

We used our double jogging stroller quite successfully at DLR for quite a few trips. It's only the last trip or so that we've stopped using it because our boys are big and don't need it anymore.

I love the double because it made it convenient to keep both of our younger boys together and it kept them from wandering off. We could also move through areas of the park more quickly. We frequently parked it in a "land" and did everything we wanted to in that land and then moved on.

We also never had any trouble on the trams. Getting on them was usually slower than for people w/out a stroller because they have definite stroller areas on the tram and you have to fold them up.

We used to have to go through the flood gates at DCA before they changed the gates. Now the regular gates are wide enough to go through with a double stroller.

We rarely took our stroller into stores because they are usually crowded and maneuvering that crazy stroller through a store was a pain.

Our stroller could fully recline and when our youngest was 2 he passed out in the stroller for 4 hours on our first trip. It was a lifesaver for him and for us. He would have been miserable if he hadn't had a safe place to sleep. And our then 4 yr old could get in and out without bothering his brother.

Take the stroller and enjoy your time with your family. As another poster said, they grow up too fast. :confused3

Thanks everyone for the posts, DH and I have had the same debate - double vs. 2 singles. Our DCs will be 1 and 3 on our trip and both nap well in the stroller. Its not an option to not have a stroller for each kid at those ages. I think another benefit of a double is that only one parent needs to push at a time, so you can trade off doing single rider rides, child swap, running for Fast Passes, etc. More fun and flexibility for the whole family.

For those saying that one child can walk, well, you've never been stuck walking next to or behind a 3 year old. Even at his least tired he would totally slow down the crowd flow dramatically, never mind probably getting trampled. And I'm all for babywearing, do it all the time, but its really not realistic to wear a 1 year old for 10-12 hours in warm weather. In terms of the space a double takes up in the crowd, a double stroller is narrower than two singles. So if a family trying to stay together they will be taking up less space with one stroller than two.

I like to think of Disney as a kid-oriented and family friendly place that accommodates and welcomes the needs of little ones and their families. I keep seeing anti-stroller sounding posts on here and that totally surprises me. I get that people are in a hurry, I'm guilty myself sometimes, but really? I kind of feel like Disney is the one place in society where kids should get the right of way. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter