Family vacation

Wyatt's Grandma

Earning My Ears
Not sure where this post belongs but we’re trying to plan a 50th anniversary trip for ourselves, 2 daughters and their husbands and 4 grandkids, ages 22-10. We’re thinking of a Disney land and sea vacation or a Disney Cruise. Any ideas and suggestions would be most welcome.

That’s a wide question. I think from the cruise perspective some initial pointers would be...it’s always cheapest a book right when the itineraries come out (about 18 months in advance ). Also if school in session is a concern or if you’re going to do an international cruise, you’ll need passports. But there’s a lot of ground to cover... if you had some more guidelines I think you would get some more responses.

Personally, I’m not that interested in going to Disney World, even though I have a 4.5 year-old. I would rather have a longer cruise.

Thanks for the input. I’m just starting the planning process. We’ll have to plan around one grandson’s college break or go in the summer. With such a wide range of ages and interests, I’m trying to make sure there is something for everyone to enjoy. We have all been to DW many times so not sure if we will include it. Some of them will need passports. We will be flying family from Michigan and Texas. If we don’t go to DW, we might look into leaving from Galveston.

Several years ago we did an Alaskan cruise on DCL for my in laws 50th anniversary. It was so much fun. My dh and I had been on a Disney cruise before, did one for our honeymoon. We'll be going on our 6th in 160 days. We a group of kids(6-12 yrs), a 20 yr old, severals in their 30s, and my in laws in their 70s at the time. We all had tons to do on the ship and in the ports. The Wonder, which goes to Alaska is a great ship.

I think a cruise, or a WDW trip, would be fun. If you've all done WDW together, a cruise would be more special just because it's different I think. Be aware that Galveston only works roughly November - January for DCL, with more limited options than Florida. If you are looking at K-12 school breaks, that's going to be the most expensive Merrytime cruises. If the youngers are homeschooled and you're working within a college break, that will give you a little more leeway. Alaska is also expensive on DCL, but would have more options for summer break, unless the college student is going to summer school.

Going to WDW would be easier to schedule, perhaps. You could splurge there on ViP experiences, concierge level rooms, etc, if that's not normally your thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter