Family traveling with my two parents who are both physically disabled.

WDWRookie2009

Mouseketeer
Mom is disabled due to a car accident 13 years ago. Has pins and metal all through her legs and can not stand or walk very long. Dad is disabled vet who recently had leg surgery due to circulation issues. He can walk longer and stand longer than mom but tires very easily. Mom has wheelchair, walker and cane. None of us have ever been to Disneyland so we dont know what to expect. They are bothing renting ECV's (at much protest from my dad lol) because they dont want any of us to push a wheelchair. They are willing to park them and wait in line with us so we can all be together, is this doable? I am very worried about them making it through a day .. well three days at Disney. Suggestions? Tips? Any advice? Thank you in advance. :grouphug:

Actually, parking outside and standing in line so they can be with you won't be necessary, as you will actually be able to use the wheelchair entrance with them. It varies for each ride where exactly you'll enter. In many cases, the wheelchair entrance is actually the exit of the ride. Just talk to the employee in front of each ride and they'll direct you how to proceed. Guests in an ECV or wheelchair are allowed to be accompanied by up to 5 additional family members or friends.

Hi

We have had a couple of trips with a wheelchair for my Dad 88 and Mom (she passed last fall). We find it easier to push wheelchair through crowds we brought our own for him. Only because he is a little bit of a crazy driver and we were worried about other people. But either way just be sure everyone is understanding of the crowds and go with the flow.

We also took advantage of all options like going in the exit of the rides and fantasmic parking. He went on all the rides last Dec it was awesome.

Since your dad is a vet I do have one recommendation - in all my some odd 40 years we had never done the flag ceremony on main street around 4-5 pm. My dad is a WWII/Korean War vet and I have to say it was so special for him and other vets to be honored. I hope you make the time to do it at least once I will forever make this a part of our trips!

Definitely take advantage of the wheelchair entrances. If you are renting ECVs from Disney, they usually give you a guide with information on where to enter each attraction. If you are renting offsite (recommended) you can probably get a pamphlet from a cast member. You can also print one here: http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/media/dlr_v0200/en_US/help/Mobility_201009.pdf

I also agree that using a wheelchair might be a better option if you are willing to push them. It would be easier to navigate crowds. Using the ECV can be quite stressful, especially if it is busy.

Also, tell your Dad not to worry. There will be tons of people in wheelchairs and ECVs. :moped:

I agree, use the wheelchair entrances!! That's why they designed it, for families like you. And like Walt said..Disneyland is for families. They want you to stick together :)

Thank you all for the replies. It is a relief to know that we should still be able to have a great trip. The idea of the five of us and two of them going through the exit gives me chills. I have read about how people think its unfair and we would be taking advantage so that's why we had come to the conclusion of parking and trying to stick it out through the regular line because I think I honestly would break down if I got dirty looks all day! .

All of us (Myself, DH, 3 kiddos and my two parents) want to do as much as possible together since it is such a special first time trip. They are renting offsite so that they can use it when they leave the park (We are staying at the HOJO). We originally planned to just use the wheel chair for my mom and take turns pushing her but after my dads surgery his doctor said a wheelchair will be needed for long days. He is stubborn as can be but after many talks and threats from mom :lmao: he said he would get an ECV as he will not let us push him around :confused3: .

Thank you for the tip about the Flag Retreat ! My dad is a Vietnam and Desert Storm vet and my husband is an OIF vet so it is a must for us !

Again thank you all so much for the replies. Our first day in the park is June 11th (DS birthday! ) and we are so excited !

I was there a year ago with my mom who has been in a wheelchair for 25 years, my then 5-year-old and my 5-month old. We had my dad and my husband, but basically we had one able-bodied person on each child & adult who needed watching over. It was exhausting, but so worth it! You'll have a great trip. Just remember to drink enough water and take breaks. There is nothing wrong with sitting down on a bench and people-watching for a while.

It's harder than just going with kids, or a group of able-bodied adults, a lot harder, so take it easy on yourself. Last year when we went, due to my mother's deteriorating health, it was her last trip. So I felt a ton of pressure to make it fantastic and ran myself ragged trying to make it wonderful for her, wonderful for my 5-year-old and keep up with an infant! I'm glad I did it, but I also could have taken it more slowly and know I needed to eat and drink better than I did.

Disney works really well for people in wheelchairs. If you can transfer out of your seat you can ride much more than you can if you have to stay in your chair. But there are some rides that you can stay in a wheelchair, I'm not sure about an electric scooter. If your parents aren't accustomed to a scooter you might want to have them practice some before they go into Disneyland. They can be a bit tricky to use and sometimes people tip over.

Good luck and have fun!

Glad to hear you guys had such a great trip!! My mom is used to driving around, she had her own at one point too . My dad is getting use to them. He will use them when he goes out to the PX, targert or walmart. I am trying to figure if it would be easier to have my mom in a wheelchair and my dad in the ECV ?

Hi

We have had a couple of trips with a wheelchair for my Dad 88 and Mom (she passed last fall). We find it easier to push wheelchair through crowds we brought our own for him. Only because he is a little bit of a crazy driver and we were worried about other people. But either way just be sure everyone is understanding of the crowds and go with the flow.

We also took advantage of all options like going in the exit of the rides and fantasmic parking. He went on all the rides last Dec it was awesome.

Since your dad is a vet I do have one recommendation - in all my some odd 40 years we had never done the flag ceremony on main street around 4-5 pm. My dad is a WWII/Korean War vet and I have to say it was so special for him and other vets to be honored. I hope you make the time to do it at least once I will forever make this a part of our trips!

I am very sorry for your loss. And a big thank you to your dad. What is fantasmic parking? We booked the disney view room because we figured it would be to stressful to deal with finding a spot for fireworks.. we figured we could see them from our room.

I am trying to figure if it would be easier to have my mom in a wheelchair and my dad in the ECV ?

I think it would depend on what you and they are accustomed to. The seats and supports in the ECV are so different than in the wheelchairs. My mother has tried them and does not find them comfortable, but she has neurological issues and balance and pain are big problems for her. I suppose if it didn't work for your family you could always make a change while you're there.

I've found that pushing a wheelchair in big crowds at Disneyland can be tricky. If you've ever pushed a wheelchair in a mall 2 days before Christmas imagine that, and then multiply it times 10! :lmao: It takes patience, persistence and a lot of apologies. Last year we happened to be there the weekend they were hosting the Pirates of the Caribbean premier so things were a mess. I was pushing my mom in a big crowd and we were in a hurry. The guy in front of me stopped, just stopped in the middle of the path for no apparent reason. I wasn't paying attention as I should have and I ran her chair into his legs. I felt horrible. I apologized and apologized but all he wanted to do was yell at me. In 25 years of pushing her wheelchair I've never done that to anybody but it was crowded and Disneyland can be distracting! So, like I said, be kind to yourself. It's hard work. Send me a PM if you want. I'm no kind of expert on all things Disneyland but I'm happy to share what I do know. :goodvibes

Thank you all for the replies. It is a relief to know that we should still be able to have a great trip. The idea of the five of us and two of them going through the exit gives me chills. I have read about how people think its unfair and we would be taking advantage so that's why we had come to the conclusion of parking and trying to stick it out through the regular line because I think I honestly would break down if I got dirty looks all day! .

Please don't let the stuff you've read deter you. Sometimes it's easy to hide behind a profile and post whatever you want when in reality you wouldn't be quite so harsh. I won't promise you won't get dirty looks, but for every dirty look you have 100 non dirty looks ;). Don't let someone who is grumpy and feels their vacation is more important than yours be the reason your parents get totally wiped out after a couple rides!! If they feel up to it, by all means try waiting in line a couple times, but I'd use the wheelchair access too. Esp when the lines will be really long..it won't be fair to your poor parents to put them through that!! (even your tough dad haha) I totally agree with a bunch of breaks for people watching and rehydrating. Above all, remember that you have every right for a good time..and people who think otherwise are only making themselves miserable.

You won't get dirty looks, I just returned from our trip with my MIL, she can't walk much so we used the WC entrance when we thought she wouldn't be able to stand much.
Your parents need the WC, so don't worry about others, is not that you're skipping the line, they will make you wait too.
My DH pushed my MIL (and she's no lightweight, I'll tell you that) for 3 days and he was fine. He actually had fun! he let the WC go when it was downhill and run for her, not sure if she enjoyed that, lol!
Good luck!

I went to DL last year and used an ecv. I was 26 at the time, and have no visible handicaps. (I have a heart issue) I used the wheelchair entrance when I could, (sometimes we had too many people in our group) I never got one dirty look. Don't let fear of other people's reactions keep you from having the best trip possible. If they want to use the regular line for some rides, go for it, but don't do it because you are afraid of what people will think. One ride I suggest using the regular line for is POTC. The wheelchair line is usually longer then the regular line on this ride. Also, most of the rides in DCA you can go through the regular lines with a wheelchair or ecv. Again, check this link for details on each ride: http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/media/dlr_v0200/en_US/help/Mobility_201009.pdf

I went to DL last year and used an ecv. I was 26 at the time, and have no visible handicaps. (I have a heart issue) I used the wheelchair entrance when I could, (sometimes we had too many people in our group) I never got one dirty look. Don't let fear of other people's reactions keep you from having the best trip possible. If they want to use the regular line for some rides, go for it, but don't do it because you are afraid of what people will think. One ride I suggest using the regular line for is POTC. The wheelchair line is usually longer then the regular line on this ride. Also, most of the rides in DCA you can go through the regular lines with a wheelchair or ecv.

I'll second this. I just returned from my first DL trip with my four-year-old daughter. She doesn't have an obvious disability, but has some severe sensory processing issues that led us to get a GAC which let us enter most rides through the wheelchair entrance. We used it for three days, and never noticed a single dirty look from anyone. In many cases, the wheelchair entrance is so far removed from the regular queue that people waiting in line won't even see you.

I'm wishing you all the best. I just know you are all going to have a GREAT time!! My number one tip is to arrive early and be there close to rope drop. Getting an early start on your day will make all the difference in the world. Being there early before the huge crowds arrive will give you some time to maneuver through the parks before the crushing crowds arrive, especially over near Pirates where it gets very, very congested.

Bring a big dose of patience and you will be fine and have an awesome trip. You will LOVE it!!

Thank you all for your well wishes, I do feel better about the trip and remember to just take it slow and enjoy every minute ! We were supposed to go to Disneyland back in 2010 and 2011 but never made it. So this trip has been years in the waiting !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!