Family of 6 in Contemporary room, comfy or no?

stewartx12

Earning My Ears
Please help! We are going in April 2020 and there will be six of us total. My husband and I, twin 15 year old girls, 7 year old boy and 2 year old boy. I really really want to stay at the Contemporary for the convenience of walking to MK, but how comfortable would we truly be in the room? We don't plan to spend a whole lot of time in it, last trip we were barely in the room it seemed like. But hubby is worried about the space. We could do a suite at AOA for a few hundred dollars less and while I know its more space it kills me that for pretty much the same price we could be at the CR! HELP!!!!

With a crib or pack and play for the two year old, you will all have a sleeping space. How comfortable it is to you is entirely up to how much your family enjoys their own space. That is certainly a full room.

Twin 15 year old girls sharing one bathroom with four other people? Are you sure you want to do that? Have you looked into renting DVC points, maybe for a two-bed villa at BLT?

I know thats my worry, one of the girls is a mirror hog, the other not so much. If renting DVC could make BLT more affordable and possibly in our price range I should look into it. Thank you!

Please help! We are going in April 2020 and there will be six of us total. My husband and I, twin 15 year old girls, 7 year old boy and 2 year old boy. I really really want to stay at the Contemporary for the convenience of walking to MK, but how comfortable would we truly be in the room? We don't plan to spend a whole lot of time in it, last trip we were barely in the room it seemed like. But hubby is worried about the space. We could do a suite at AOA for a few hundred dollars less and while I know its more space it kills me that for pretty much the same price we could be at the CR! HELP!!!!

Are you in the tower or garden wing? Honestly, for convenience sake, I would do it. Will you all fit in the room? Yes, the CR rooms are quite spacious IMHO, and you'll all have a sleeping space (assuming you will get a pack-n-play for your 2-year old). Will you be comfortable? If you are all comfortable being in the same room - sure! And if you don't spend a ton of time there, bonus. Just keep in mind, the counter space in the CR bathrooms is quite sparse, so you may need to come up with some creative ideas to keep all your toiletries/brushes, etc. in there. Also, I would imagine, the 15-year olds can wander on their own? So if they need some space, they could go sit by the pool? You will have a balcony (if you are in the tower). If you are in the garden wing, request a first floor room for the patio space.

As PP recommended, you could price out a 2-bedroom at BLT, but it would be quite a bit more expensive. I, personally, would put 6 in a CR room over staying at AoA any day. AoA was the loudest, most uncomfortable resort I've ever stayed in.

Instead of the 2 bedroom at BLT I would recommend a 1 bedroom to save money. It has the 2nd bathroom.

But if not, I would totally squish into a CR room. We are all about location at Disney, we prioritize location over space.

Instead of the 2 bedroom at BLT I would recommend a 1 bedroom to save money. It has the 2nd bathroom.

But if not, I would totally squish into a CR room. We are all about location at Disney, we prioritize location over space.

Forgot to add, we have had 5 adults and 1 2 year old in a 1 bedroom at BLT and it was great.

Are you in the tower or garden wing? Honestly, for convenience sake, I would do it. Will you all fit in the room? Yes, the CR rooms are quite spacious IMHO, and you'll all have a sleeping space (assuming you will get a pack-n-play for your 2-year old). Will you be comfortable? If you are all comfortable being in the same room - sure! And if you don't spend a ton of time there, bonus. Just keep in mind, the counter space in the CR bathrooms is quite sparse, so you may need to come up with some creative ideas to keep all your toiletries/brushes, etc. in there. Also, I would imagine, the 15-year olds can wander on their own? So if they need some space, they could go sit by the pool? You will have a balcony (if you are in the tower). If you are in the garden wing, request a first floor room for the patio space.

As PP recommended, you could price out a 2-bedroom at BLT, but it would be quite a bit more expensive. I, personally, would put 6 in a CR room over staying at AoA any day. AoA was the loudest, most uncomfortable resort I've ever stayed in.

Thank you so much! This what the kind of info I needed to hear. I feel like we would all be fine in one room, to be honest at home we are all usually in the family together anyway most of the time! And yes, we have talked about letting the girls wander and explore (within reason) on their own, so that would also be a great idea if they needed some time away! We would MOST likely be in the garden wing.

So you really did not like AOA huh? That is making me lean even more towards throwing all of us in one CR room! I don't want to get to AOA and regret it and be thinking the whole time "I could be at the CR!!!"

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!

I would also keep in mind that once your youngest turns 3 you are 6 people for occupancy not 5, which greatly increases your cost to stay at CR (or most of the other deluxes).

That would be argument to my husband for NEEDING to stay at CR (or BLT). Yes, a need 😂.

Enjoy the cost savings while it lasts! Once your little one turns 3, you will no longer be able to fit 6 in one room at most resorts. So I say go for it this time and wait to have to downgrade to AoA or pay extra for a suite until you (very soon) will have to!

There will be 5 of us going in July (two adults and the 3 kids ages 22,18,18) and we are going to stay in the Contemporary for 2 nights. We are staying at Pop in two rooms then going on a cruise and returning for our Contemporary stay. It is only about $200 more to stay at the Contemporary in one room than to get two rooms at Pop so we are going for it. I can't wait to just be able to walk to MK! That plus our last meal is typically a Chef Mickey breakfast....can it get an easier to get to breakfast??!! I went for it! I figure we can handle most anything for a couple of nights even all sharing a bathroom!! We are RD-close kind of people so we won't be in the room much!

I know thats my worry, one of the girls is a mirror hog, the other not so much. If renting DVC could make BLT more affordable and possibly in our price range I should look into it. Thank you!
Oh, then you should be fine. Two mirrors - one over the sink, one over the dresser - and the toilet and tub are in a roo m with a door.

I've always dreamed of staying at the CR, so I think you should go for it. When your 2 yr old is older, you won't be able to all fit in one CR room. Your family will figure out a way to share the one bathroom. It'll be fine. Whenever we go to visit my BIL & SIL, we all end up sharing 1 bathroom because their house only has 1 bathroom....and when we visit them, there's a total of 8 of us (4 in our family, 4 in theirs) and we are able to sort it out...usually by following the rule of thumb of "I'm about to take a shower. Does anybody need to use the bathroom first?"

And then the 2nd rule of thumb that if you need to have lots of mirror time, then you use a second mirror that's in another part of the room.

Thank you so much! This what the kind of info I needed to hear. I feel like we would all be fine in one room, to be honest at home we are all usually in the family together anyway most of the time! And yes, we have talked about letting the girls wander and explore (within reason) on their own, so that would also be a great idea if they needed some time away! We would MOST likely be in the garden wing.

So you really did not like AOA huh? That is making me lean even more towards throwing all of us in one CR room! I don't want to get to AOA and regret it and be thinking the whole time "I could be at the CR!!!"

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!

I love the garden wing. Especially with a stroller walking to MK, you go straight from the garden wing, through the CR lobby and right to the MK path without having to take the CR tower elevators which can get very congested at times. And with your older daughters - if they want to leave the room and hang out on the beach or at the pool, they are just steps away when staying in the garden wing.

I agree with PP's. This is possibly your last shot of fitting your family of 6 in a standard deluxe room. I would go for it. And, yes, if I were at AoA knowing I could have stayed at CR, I would regret it!

I just love the comfort and convenience of the CR. We are fine with 4 adults, one 4 year old and one 2 year old. I think that you should be OK, just as long as your family are good in close quarters.

Unless things have changed recently: The bathroom layout is a little different at the CR. The toilet is in its own 'room' with a door. The tub/shower combo is in the area with the 2 sinks. The sinks are square and flat, with very little shelving around them for toiletries. A small ledge maybe 6 " wide or so is situated between the sinks, IIRC. I think that there may be shelves under the sinks (where towels are?) where you might be able to store a toiletry bag or two? There is some kind of sliding door, I think, that closes off the sink and tub area from the rest of the bedroom.
We take showers/baths on a schedule, split in the am for some and the pm for others. Works for us.

A ground floor room would be my only request if staying in the garden wing. The extra space of the patio would be awesome!

CR would be my choice over AoA. No contest.

This may be outside of your budget zone, but if you haven’t already you may want to look in CR Club Level. With CL, you have the lounge that is sort of your “second space” for somewhere to be while others are getting ready, sleeping, etc. You may also appreciate the breakfast with your size crew (and other offerings throughout the day).

You mentioned last trip you were barely around the room - which conflicts with making CL ‘worth it’ a bit and CL definitely isn’t for all touring styles.... but just wanted to mention that as an option in case it has any interest.

I just love the comfort and convenience of the CR. We are fine with 4 adults, one 4 year old and one 2 year old. I think that you should be OK, just as long as your family are good in close quarters.

Unless things have changed recently: The bathroom layout is a little different at the CR. The toilet is in its own 'room' with a door. The tub/shower combo is in the area with the 2 sinks. The sinks are square and flat, with very little shelving around them for toiletries. A small ledge maybe 6 " wide or so is situated between the sinks, IIRC. I think that there may be shelves under the sinks (where towels are?) where you might be able to store a toiletry bag or two? There is some kind of sliding door, I think, that closes off the sink and tub area from the rest of the bedroom.
We take showers/baths on a schedule, split in the am for some and the pm for others. Works for us.

A ground floor room would be my only request if staying in the garden wing. The extra space of the patio would be awesome!

CR would be my choice over AoA. No contest.

Thank you for your response! We are good being in close quarters, i mean at home the kids are usually up our butts anyway LOL. At least someone should be able to use the toilet while someone else showers!!! Yes I would definitely request a ground floor so we can hopefully have the patio!!! Thank you!!!

I love the garden wing. Especially with a stroller walking to MK, you go straight from the garden wing, through the CR lobby and right to the MK path without having to take the CR tower elevators which can get very congested at times. And with your older daughters - if they want to leave the room and hang out on the beach or at the pool, they are just steps away when staying in the garden wing.

I agree with PP's. This is possibly your last shot of fitting your family of 6 in a standard deluxe room. I would go for it. And, yes, if I were at AoA knowing I could have stayed at CR, I would regret it!

Okay perfect, I was worried the garden wing would be not as ideal as the tower, but now that you mention it when we have visited CR before I do call the wait for the elevators being a pain sometimes! And that is a perfect plan for the girls to be able to get some space if they do need it!

Yes I honestly did not even think that this would be our last shot to all fit into one standard deluxe, so I think I may have to ignore hubby and pull the trigger LOL.

Thank you so much for your insight, it has truly helped me!!!

I've always dreamed of staying at the CR, so I think you should go for it. When your 2 yr old is older, you won't be able to all fit in one CR room. Your family will figure out a way to share the one bathroom. It'll be fine. Whenever we go to visit my BIL & SIL, we all end up sharing 1 bathroom because their house only has 1 bathroom....and when we visit them, there's a total of 8 of us (4 in our family, 4 in theirs) and we are able to sort it out...usually by following the rule of thumb of "I'm about to take a shower. Does anybody need to use the bathroom first?"

And then the 2nd rule of thumb that if you need to have lots of mirror time, then you use a second mirror that's in another part of the room.

I feel like it just cannot get anymore convient with a toddler then to be able to walk to MK! And you are absolutely correct, we have been in many situatons where we had only had one bathroom and it has worked out fine. Those rules you mentioned are perfect!

Thank you for your insight! I think I am going to just go for it and stop overthinking it!!!

I rented a two bedroom villa at BLT in May for my mom and I (due to bad backs and sleeping schedules we both needed beds instead of a sofa, and both did better in our own rooms due to late sleepers and early risers), I think if I went with that many people I would definitely look in to doing that. I went through DVC rental store and it was honestly the best decision I could have made so I didn't have to get two rooms. You would have three bathrooms, washer and dryer, full kitchen with dining space, and lots of room to move around. I did a standard view room to save money and we had a perfect view of the fireworks every night from our balconies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter