Family of 5 (with small children), 4 nights in Boulder Ridge v. Bay Lake studio stay... suggestions

GCameron

Earning My Ears
My little-big family has a 4 night stay at a studio coming up after an 8 night stay in a 2 bedroom with extended family. Right now we have already booked the 4 nights at BLT, but Boulder Ridge just came open. I would like to stay at BLT. My wife is more interested in Boulder Ridge. We have 3 littles (ages 5, 3, and 1 at the time of the trip). Which would ya'll suggest?

The BLT pool is sad. After that much time in the parks, the pool seems kind of neccesary (assuming pool weather)?

I'm not sure I'd want to cram that many humans in any studio that long, especially not a teensy BLT one. I'm assuming you will already have ridden your rides and done the parks. I'd rather stay less nights in a 1BR that's a cooler experience, like AKL. The kids are at a cool age to really appreciate a savanna view, and if you're not park warrioring, that's such a cool experience.

My little-big family has a 4 night stay at a studio coming up after an 8 night stay in a 2 bedroom with extended family. Right now we have already booked the 4 nights at BLT, but Boulder Ridge just came open. I would like to stay at BLT. My wife is more interested in Boulder Ridge. We have 3 littles (ages 5, 3, and 1 at the time of the trip). Which would ya'll suggest?
A lot will depend on when you're going. BLT studios are notoriously small. It will be very cramped with that many people.

But BRV is in serious need of a refurbishment. They've been kicking the can down the road for a few years and it is way overdue. It is scheduled for this year but hasn't even started. You could end up with a brand new studio, a grotesquely shabby one or you could be dealing with a lot of construction noise during your stay because this is a full refurbishment.

If those are your only 2 choices, I would stick with BLT. As PP mentioned, there is construction supposedly happening in 2022 - no dates announced. HOWEVER, Wilderness Lodge is amazing and has nice splash pad for kids. Also, the boat to MK is really fun when they are that little. All depends on what your plans are - lounging at resort or still going to parks.

Super helpful alreadyI
So, the 8 nights we will have already spent will be in a 2 bedroom at Jambo. Looking at the point charts available for when we're going (early May), these are the only two good options for studios. It will be a bit more laid back then the typical trip. Pool time. Pool hopping (if that's still a thing?). Magic Kingdom for the littles. Nap time. I'm leaning towards keeping BLT due to proximity and access to the monorail (which my boys lose their minds over). I also thought Boulder Ridge already had the refurb though! That's a big deal. To blow things up altogether though... If Poly opens up... that's our first choice. lol.

A poly waitlist has good odds, there’s a lot of standard rooms. I’d also consider a 1br BW/BC, which can sometimes have some availability. Walk to Epcot, or don’t. Take the boar to MM Railroad, go back and swim.

if your points qualify, I’d consider RIV. The pools are pretty good, and the skyliner is cool. But those studios are point heavy, and they book fast.

Last edited:
I would go Boulder Ridge. BLT studios feel extremely tight even with 4. Wilderness Lodge is also beautiful and has the kids splash area. Geyser Point has great food and drinks if you can make it there.

Based on what I googled, the BLT studios are 339 square feet and the Boulder Ridge studios are 356 square feet.

Based on what I googled, the BLT studios are 339 square feet and the Boulder Ridge studios are 356 square feet.

Doesn't seem like that big of a difference... but when you look at videos of the (haven't stepped foot in either) boy is there a difference. I think it's the funky kitchenette in BLT that takes up a lot of valuable space.

I'm still very torn.

Doesn't seem like that big of a difference... but when you look at videos of the (haven't stepped foot in either) boy is there a difference. I think it's the funky kitchenette in BLT that takes up a lot of valuable space.

I'm still very torn.
Yes, I think you are correct. It is different from any of the other studios we have stayed in.

The Lodge is so beautiful and impressive. The pools are so fun at I BRV as well. My choice would be BRV.

Agree with prior posts - Your kids will love AKL Jambo during your stay there!

I wish that the BRV refurb was completed as that is a good studio size/layout, but of your two choices I otherwise think that the Wilderness Lodge wins in general for pools and activities for kids. The lobby design of WL will feel similar to AKL Jambo as they had the same architect - it is well themed and expansive.

If you choose BRV over BLT, I would consider breakfast at Chef Mickey’s - for some reason that breakfast never gets old for my kids. That way you can get still a little Contemporary mixed in to your trip and also take advantage of a walk to MK or a monorail ride with the kids after your meal!

The idea of a Poly waitlist is a good one for the studio size and other great on resort options.

Last edited:
I would do any studio but BLT. BLT studios are so small partly due to the galley style kitchenette taking up space. There's not enough space for a pack and play, open sofabed, and any strollers you might have.

Super helpful alreadyI
So, the 8 nights we will have already spent will be in a 2 bedroom at Jambo. Looking at the point charts available for when we're going (early May), these are the only two good options for studios. It will be a bit more laid back then the typical trip. Pool time. Pool hopping (if that's still a thing?). Magic Kingdom for the littles. Nap time. I'm leaning towards keeping BLT due to proximity and access to the monorail (which my boys lose their minds over). I also thought Boulder Ridge already had the refurb though! That's a big deal. To blow things up altogether though... If Poly opens up... that's our first choice. lol.
POLY studio is much to cramped for so many, it looks bigger on paper, but that second bathroom eats up a lot of space. Bay lake tower would be good for above mentioned, plus you have that pool, plus all the stuff at contemporary just steps away. and you can pool hop between the two.

POLY studio is much to cramped for so many, it looks bigger on paper, but that second bathroom eats up a lot of space. Bay lake tower would be good for above mentioned, plus you have that pool, plus all the stuff at contemporary just steps away. and you can pool hop between the two.

Technically, Poly pool isn't in pool hopping.

While BRV really needs a refurb, it is still quite lovely and nice. WAY nicer to walk around the grounds than BLT. (I love BLT too though). Much lower points too, than Poly and BLT.

BLT put a lot of space into the bathroom and into the kitchenette. That left little for the living space. BRV has nearly the same layout as BCV, BWV and SSR. Kitchenette is galley style walk past opposite the bathroom sink. So there is more space in the living area. BRV tub/toilet room is smaller than the BLT total bathroom (sink in the bathroom).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter