Family of 5 at Port Orleans Riverside

AnOtHeRdIsNeYfReAk

Self-Proclaimed Super Genius
So I'm trying to plan a trip for August / September 2014, which would not be a problem for me since I love planning. The catch is I will not only have to pay for myself and the kids, which is to be expected, but now have to pay for the other two family members coming. Yes, I opened my big mouth and offered because they have never been to any Disney park. So I am trying to make this as cheap (Ha! as if I can really use that word) as possible while remaining on Disney property.
I really, really have my heart set on POR with a trundle bed even with the prospect of cramming 5 people in one room. Also if free dining is offered (not going to count on it) we could get the basic plan instead of the quick service plan offered at the Values.
So has anyone here ever fit that many in a room? There would be 3 adults, 1 teen and 1 child. My teenager thinks she can bring a twin sized air mattress and sleep on that in the curtained sink area, but I can't see how there would be any room. Is there room under the beds for luggage storage? Can anyone offer any advice to help with so many people in such a small space? Thanks in advance.

Will the extra family help chip in? I think it would be pretty squished with 3 adults and a teen. The air mattress would prob fit into the sink area, but then nobody would be able to get into the bathroom. No luggage storage under beds. We put them between the bed and wall. And one suitcase in closet area. Bell Service will store empty luggage too.

I would maybe suggest the other 2 family members get another room either at POR, or one of the values. With cell phones it's easy enough to meet up at the park.

We just got back from a group trip, and one family in the group did 4 adults and one teen in a POR room just fine. 2 in each bed and the teen on a twin sized air mattress. Too cramped for my style, but they didn't seem to be bothered in anyway by their sleeping accommodations.

I think there is plenty of time to renege on your offer. Really. Unless you are independently wealthy, that is a LOT to gift someone.

I would not do this with 4 adult sized people. Our immediate family is five, last time we stayed at por was crowded and our kids were 5 and under. Too cramped and no privacy!

I think there is plenty of time to renege on your offer. Really. Unless you are independently wealthy, that is a LOT to gift someone.

I would not do this with 4 adult sized people. Our immediate family is five, last time we stayed at por was crowded and our kids were 5 and under. Too cramped and no privacy!

Especially if its not immediate family, but extended. OP it is very kind of you to offer a wdw trip, but if its extended family, I think by the end of the week you would be stressed. Guess it depends on how comfortable you are with them, all in one room.

It would probably be a $30 or $40 difference per night between one room at POR and a pair of connecting rooms at POP.... could you ask them to pay that difference? I think you would be a lot more comfortable, and the cost to them would be minimal.

If the teen takes an air mattress, how do you picture everyone else sleeping? Which 2 adults share a bed? Is the other adult sharing with the child, or is that child small enough to fit on the pull down under the tv? I also don't think the air mattress will fit by the sink and even if it does it will block off the bathroom. What if someone needs to use it at night?

Honestly I like Aliceacc's idea of getting 2 rooms at a value and asking the others to at least pay the difference in cost for 2 rooms. And if you want to be even cheaper, the All Stars are a few bucks cheaper than the Pop. This year has August and the first half of September's rates at the All Stars at $90/$110 a night. Pop's rates are $100/$120. A room at POR would be $170/$190 a night. Could your additional guests just pay the small up-charge for 2 rooms?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter