'Family Circus' creator Bil Keane dies at 89

RIDizney

Earning My Ears
Bil Keane of the comic strip "Family Circus" has passed away at 89. You all, I am sure, have read his comics for many years so he certainly made every one of us smile.

The Disney connection here, for those of you that do not know it is that Bil Keane was the father of Glen Keane. Glen Keane as most know, is an amazing Disney animator responsbile for many of our most beloved Disney characters...Ariel, Aladdin, Tarzan, Beast, Pocahontas, etc.

For those of you who read the Family Circus comic, the character 'Billy' is modelled after Glen Keane.

I looked on both the MSN and MSNBC articles to see if that's mentioned, but it isn't.

So sorry to hear about Bil Keane's passing.

Is anyone familiar with the Family Circus Easter special? My mom found a VHS copy on EBay a few years ago and bought it for me. It was always my favorite holiday special! My kids watch it numerous times around Easter and love it. I wish they still aired it on t.v.

I had never heard of this Disney connection. So interesting to know that it is "Billy" doing all of that great work over at Disney. When I read in the paper that his son Jeff has been assisting with the comic strip for some time, I was hopeful that the Family Circus will carry on. Always one of my favorites.

I was so sad to hear of this! It's always the first comic I look at! I met his daughter when I worked at Kinko's and she ended up bringing me an autographed copy of one of his books.

Wow, "Billy's" artistic skills have REALLY improved over the year. I remember the few times that he filled in for his Dad on the Family Circus. Let's just say, not exactly Disney quality.

WLL

I believe his son has been drawing the comics for a long time now.

How sad. I am sorry to hear about his passing.

I know Glen helped his dad on the strip from time to time, but I thought there was another son that was also drawing for him. Maybe I am mistaken, but I could have sworn there was Glen and another brother who helped...:confused3.

Yes, Jeff Keane (youngest son of Bil) has been working on the comic for a long time now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter